how many deaf in america

Ice

Reaction score
whats he estimated number of deaf ppl in america right now?

Bullym0m said:
Plus hiding out.. doesn't want shown fully.. may be 1 billion who knows.. (shrugs)
There's not even 1,000,000,000 people in America!

I always thought it was like one percent of the American population, so if the population of USA is 285.000.000, then we should have 2,85 million deaf people. Of course, it covers all types of hearing loss.

not 1 percent.. it's 10 percent.. there are 28.8 million deaf/ hard of hearing peeps in USA alone.

of course it covers the eldery people with hearing loss..

its 10% of deaf/hoh people in USA out of the current numbers of people in USA

There's only roughly 18 million people living in Australia...I would reckon about 200,000 are deaf and living in Australia. I tried to google a search on deaf stats for Australia, couldn't find it, but I just know it's roughly that number via word of mouth, plus I know for certain about the population number. :dunno: for sure about the percentage. :P

there is near 6 millions deaf, not inlcude hard of hearing and deaf/blind in the North America, accord to the TDI book. Of course, you cannot find the answer thru the internet.

Last edited:
i'm begin to wondering... why is there all different numbers.. and all of them have prove the numbers are right..

like i said i found 28.8 million deaf/hard of hearing people in america according to internet..
some found other number and it's from book, internet.. soo.. i assume there's no real number of deaf/hard of hearing in USA

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i'm begin to wondering... why is there all different numbers.. and all of them have prove the numbers are right..

like i said i found 28.8 million deaf/hard of hearing people in america according to internet..
some found other number and it's from book, internet.. soo.. i assume there's no real number of deaf/hard of hearing in USA

Oops, I don't mean include hard of hearing and deaf/blind.

DeafSCUBA98 said:

You're right. There's no real number. According to the Social Security Administration, hard-of-hearing and deaf are two different things. No, hard-of-hearing is not a kind of deafness... it's hearing people who have a hard time hearing, such as elders. According to deaf people, hard-of-hearing is a kind of deafness, it's when you're deaf but you can still hear well enough and talk, while being "deaf" is just deaf and you can't hear anything at all. That's why this statistics thing is pretty much bullshit and unreliable.

Deaf and hard of hearing are "two different things" technically but imagine if you will what it would be like if you still hear sounds but not make out what they were. all you could hear when someone speaks in something similar to the sound that Charlie Brown's teacher made. Technically you can hear then but you would be unable to communicate through audio communication easily.

According to the deaf that I encounter on a regular basis, that is grounds for being considered deaf because their ability to hear the true sounds being emitted into the air is not there; that is what deafness is. "Hard of hearing" is not when someone can hear just enough to talk but when there is a substantial amount of hearing loss, enough to make it difficult (hard) to hear properly. To be considered deaf, you don't have to be inable to hear sounds, you merely have to be inable to hear them well enough to distinguish between other sounds, therefore making it impossible for you to audibly communicate. Therefore, deafness and truly being hard of hearing, are practically synonymous.

not 1 percent.. it's 10 percent.. there are 28.8 million deaf/ hard of hearing peeps in USA alone.

of course it covers the eldery people with hearing loss..

If so, then we should welcome all of them to the Deaf community and become a powerful community!

Deaf and hard of hearing are "two different things" technically but imagine if you will what it would be like if you still hear sounds but not make out what they were. all you could hear when someone speaks in something similar to the sound that Charlie Brown's teacher made. Technically you can hear then but you would be unable to communicate through audio communication easily.

According to the deaf that I encounter on a regular basis, that is grounds for being considered deaf because their ability to hear the true sounds being emitted into the air is not there; that is what deafness is. "Hard of hearing" is not when someone can hear just enough to talk but when there is a substantial amount of hearing loss, enough to make it difficult (hard) to hear properly. To be considered deaf, you don't have to be inable to hear sounds, you merely have to be inable to hear them well enough to distinguish between other sounds, therefore making it impossible for you to audibly communicate. Therefore, deafness and truly being hard of hearing, are practically synonymous.

Huh? On the bolded, I know plenty of deaf people who can audibly communicate.

Back