How many megapixels on the new ipad 2 cameras?

No,
Rear cam is 1.0 MP (5X Zoom / 720p HD Video Recorder)
Front facing cam is 0.3 MP / VGA-quality (640 x 480)

You see how s quality of front-facing cam and rear cam on vlog below.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCC1lD0u8LE]YouTube - TiPb goes hands on with iPad 2 cameras[/ame]
The iPad 2 is equipped with two cameras, a front-facing VGA camera and a rear facing 720p HD camera. Check out the video above for example footage with both cameras.
Recording video on the iPad 2 is a little awkward given it’s large size, but it gets the job done. Another thing that takes some getting used to is that when using the front-facing camera to record yourself in landscape mode, the camera is positioned to the far left (or right). It feels strange looking so far from the center of the screen because I have grown accustomed to looking at the top of a device or just the screen while recording video. It’s clear that you are not looking at the camera if you stare at the screen while recording.

The quality of video taken with the VGA and HD cameras are as expected. In well-lit situations, the HD camera produces excellent results and the VGA camera gives acceptable quality. Both cameras do an ok job in bad lighting situations, but admittedly do better than I was expecting. In fact, while taking footage in my daughter’s poorly lit bedroom, the video looked pretty bad; but after uploading it to YouTube and watching on a computer, it didn’t look too shabby.

Taking still photographs with the iPad 2 is not nearly as rewarding as video. The photographs come out mediocre even in excellent light conditions. With that said, I was actually rather impressed with the close-up photograph I took of a bush. Digital zoom with the rear-facing camera, however, is awful. It’s not even worth your time to test it out.
Considering the fact that the iPad 2 is not, and should not be, regarded as a primary camera, I am content with the quality of the video and photographs obtained with the iPad 2. Of course, I would love to see better cameras, but they do a good enough job for my needs.

iPad 2 cameras hands-on | TiPb

I need 2 mp front-facing cam and 5 or more mp rear cam for next-gen iPad 3.

iPad 2 cameras work great with very bright lights indoor especially outdoors daytime but would not be ideal for the facetime indoors, anyway frm what I understood.

iPad 2 cameras work great with very bright lights indoor especially outdoors daytime but would not be ideal for the facetime indoors, anyway frm what I understood.

Yeah, with todays advances, the MP is not the biggest factor anymore.

Tests show poor still camera performance on iPad 2, video much better

With iPad 2 now in the picture (no pun intended), exhaustive camera benchmarks from numerous publications paint a pretty bleak picture for Apple’s magical device. Like it or not, iPad 2 cameras mostly earn lower scores when pitted against Motorola’s Xoom, Samsung’s Galaxy Tab and even Apple’s own iPod touch. The empirical testing backed by real-life footage proves what we’ve been suspecting all along, that iPad 2 takes substandard stills and grainier video than most tablets.

Thanks to Macworld which ran the Xoom, Galaxy Tab, iPad 2, iPod touch, iPhone 4 and Canon’s PowerShot S95 through their paces, we now know that iPad 2 cameras are sufficient, albeit underwhelming. Perhaps this is the reason why Apple makes no mention of megapixels on the iPad 2 specs page, although that camera module is known to take just 0.7-megapixel images, leaving a lot to be desired.

Not surprisingly, iPad 2 came in last in Macworld’s exposure and distortion tests and emerged fourth in image sharpness tests, ahead of the iPod touch. It earned only a marginally higher color accuracy score than the Xoom.

Tablet-camera-tests-photos-1.jpg

Apple’s tablet fares much better when handling high-definition 720p video, placing fourth in overall video quality scores, behind the Canon PowerShot S95, iPhone 4 and Xoom. iPad 2′s recording quality drops sharply in low-light conditions, though, for it records only slightly crisper 720p video than the Galaxy Tab which ranked last.

In other words, iPad 2 cameras will suffice for FaceTime calling and recording those kitten clips, but don’t expect it to match your iPhone 4 which still sports the best cameras on any iOS device. If anything, these tests reveal how Apple saved on CMOS sensors in order to keep manufacturing costs down. If the company’s hardware refresh strategy is anything to go by, this modest second-generation camera update should be followed up with a more substantial camera upgrade with iPad 3.

Tablet-camera-tests-photos-2.jpg

Tests show poor still camera performance on iPad 2, video much better | 9 to 5 Mac Tests show poor still camera performance on iPad 2, video much better | Apple Intelligence

The quality of video taken with the VGA and HD cameras are as expected. In well-lit situations, the HD camera produces excellent results and the VGA camera gives acceptable quality. Both cameras do an ok job in bad lighting situations, but admittedly do better than I was expecting. In fact, while taking footage in my daughter’s poorly lit bedroom, the video looked pretty bad; but after uploading it to YouTube and watching on a computer, it didn’t look too shabby.

Back