Navy SEALs families in danger from leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur wholeheartedly. SEALs and others who do clandestine work must keep their identities protected. For example, they have duplicate personnel files - one as a Sailor and the other as a SEAL. Those special files are kept locked up differently to keep prying eyes out. Awards and medals for specific operations are never published and even the write-up citation is "missing" the details.

Today, it is even harder to keep photos from surfacing because of phone cameras and the like on ships. They are totally banned from submarines and high-security installations.

One tour of active duty I was on, I carried classified data in an unmarked briefcase that never left my side and wore "civilian clothing" while traveling overseas. Changed into my uniform after arriving on bases. :cool2:

Other countries like Russia, China, North Korea would love to get any bit of intelligence. Kidnappings do still happen. We are already concerned as to the whereabouts of the helo tail that was taken by Pakistan.

In bold, don't forget to add Venezuela, Ecuador and Iran to list. j/k :lol:

DNA? I haven't heard about Osama DNA. Can you show me a link? Please?

Why against photos? I need to see it to prove me wrong. I still doesn't believe he is dead. Sorry but it is truth.
Ever hear of Adobe Photoshop? For the doubters, pictures won't prove anything.

I support the decision not to release photographs. I think that it was a wise decision.

DNA? I haven't heard about Osama DNA. Can you show me a link? Please?

I'll look for a direct link, but news sources have confirmed that DNA was taken and confirmed that the dead body was Osama's.

If they're supposed to be undercover, how is the media finding out their identities? Publicity pictures of them shouldn't even exist.
It's not about publicity pictures. It's about their identities (names, assignments, addresses).

I do think that being afraid of terrorists gives them power that they shouldn't have. There's a always a risk. The power that we do have is how to react to the threat.
The SEALs aren't afraid of the terrorists. They're afraid for their families' safety, which could be threatened by terrorists or by war protestors or by nuts trying to make a name for themselves.

There wouldn't even be a threat if people kept their traps shut about mission details.

Once a picture is available, someone can identify them. There's a service that will tell you everything about a person once you have an identity. Everything about you, including your neighbors.

Reba, the point is that all of us have to deal with terrorism now, and the truth is that the only real power we have in modern society is how to react to the threat of terrorism. I don't know why you have a problem with that.

Once a picture is available, someone can identify them. There's a service that will tell you everything about a person once you have an identity. Everything about you, including your neighbors.
That's why SEALs are not supposed to be identified. No pictures, no names, no addresses, no unit designations, no ranks/rates, no hometowns or states, no marital status, no physical description, no awards ceremonies, NOTHING.

Revealing their identities or missions will jeopardize their lives, the lives of loved ones, and the missions they perform. It can essentially put an end to their careers.

I asked you how the identities were revealed. Did someone in the military get photos and reveal them? It's not clear to me why this problem exists.

That's why SEALs are not supposed to be identified. No pictures, no names, no addresses, no unit designations, no ranks/rates, no hometowns or states, no marital status, no physical description, no awards ceremonies, NOTHING.

Revealing their identities or missions will jeopardize their lives, the lives of loved ones, and the missions they perform. It can essentially put an end to their careers.

So we're just to take it on faith they exist?

Reba, the point is that all of us have to deal with terrorism now, and the truth is that the only real power we have in modern society is how to react to the threat of terrorism. I don't know why you have a problem with that.
Would you say that to undercover police officers, too?

How can covert operators do their jobs if they're known to everyone?

If you don't know how their identity was revealed, just say so.

Yes, I say that about terrorism to everyone. I also say something similar to people who are afraid to go out of their neighborhood because of crime.

I asked you how the identities were revealed. Did someone in the military get photos and reveal them? It's not clear to me why this problem exists.
Sorry.

It wasn't even supposed to be revealed that it was SEAL Team 6 that did the mission. People know where Team 6 is based, and from there can find out more information, such as who is attached to that team.

They were revealed when it was announced that it was SEAL Team 6.

Other details, such as what kind of intelligence was found, and how the mission was carried out (helicopters, numbers involved, timing, etc.) can jeopardize future operations. Now the bad guys will know what to look out for and how to defend against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back