A pepper hotter than a ghost pepper? Yes!

saywhatkid

Huked on fonix werx!
Premium Member
Reaction score
From Yahoo News
World’s hottest pepper is ‘hot enough to strip paint’
By Brett Michael Dykes
Fri Dec 3, 11:38 am ET

Fiery food mavens seeking to one-up each other now have to gear up for a whole new test of culinary bravado: the world's hottest chili pepper.

Yes, the Naga Viper, the latest claimant to the world's-hottest-pepper crown, outdistances its predecessor, the Bhut Jolokia, or "ghost chili," by more than 300,000 points on the famous Scoville scale of tongue-scorching chili hotness. Researchers at Warwick University testing the Naga Viper found that it measures 1,359,000 on the Scoville scale, which rates heat by tracking the presence of a chemical compound. In comparison, most varieties of jalapeño peppers measure in the 2,500 to 5,000 range -- milder than the Naga Viper by a factor of 270.

You might think the Naga Viper would hail from some part of the world with a strong demand for spicy food, such as India or Mexico. But the new pepper is actually the handiwork of Gerald Fowler, a British chili farmer and pub owner, who crossed three of the hottest peppers known to man -- including the Bhut Jolokia -- to create his Frankenstein-monster chili.

"It's painful to eat," Fowler told the Daily Mail. "It's hot enough to strip paint." Indeed, the Daily Mail reports that defense researchers are already investigating the pepper's potential uses as a weapon.

But Fowler -- who makes customers sign a waiver declaring that they're of sound mind and body before trying a Naga Viper-based curry -- insists that consuming the fiery chili does the body good.

"It numbs your tongue, then burns all the way down," he told the paper. "It can last an hour, and you just don't want to talk to anyone or do anything. But it's a marvelous endorphin rush. It makes you feel great."

I do NOT understand the consumption of spicy foods... It hurts, burns, and can give you heartburn/indigestion.

I do NOT understand the consumption of spicy foods... It hurts, burns, and can give you heartburn/indigestion.

Well, someone has to do it. I am not gonna eat these. I can barely do anything hotter than jalapenos. I do enjoy hot foods though. My chili would make most people sweat.

Well, someone has to do it. I am not gonna eat these. I can barely do anything hotter than jalapenos. I do enjoy hot foods though. My chili would make most people sweat.

There was a special on the History channel about the hottest peppers. And they showed professional pepper tasters tasting the world's hottest peppers. It was so bizarre (but interesting)! But hey, they enjoy having their insides churn and burn and eyes water uncontrollably, so be it!

There was a special on the History channel about the hottest peppers. And they showed professional pepper tasters tasting the world's hottest peppers. It was so bizarre (but interesting)! But hey, they enjoy having their insides churn and burn and eyes water uncontrollably, so be it!

Yes, and those peppers gotta come out sometime also. Think volcano.

Good Lord, my sinus are bad as it is....anything hot makes them drain all the more. Love chili, but have to take a double dose of my reflux meds before eating any.....or I'd just bloat up and float away!
Have a friend who eats peppers like candy, she just loves 'em! So I'll pass this on to her!

I'm definitely not a fan of spicy foods. Hee, although I am okay if it's a tad spicy. For instance, taco seasonings. That's pretty much my limit.

That stuff burns going in and burns when it leaves.

I like some moderately spicey food, but that goes too far for me.

I've not tried the ghost chili yet but I want to. After I try that I want to try this new hybrid pepper. I enjoy hot spicy foods but at the same time I like to have some flavor with them, not just an intense burning sensation.

Habanero goes on my eggs, Rooster Sauce goes on my noodles, and I intend to keep it that way. I am going to Little Rock tomorrow and I am tempted to eat at a restaurant known for it's spicy foods, but it will have to wait until I am in better straights.

I dried some Fatale peppers this fall. They are supposed to be 20x hotter than a jalapeno. I just use a tiny, tiny pinch to cook with.

My 1-week ex date dumped me after she found out that I dislike spicy food. :lol:

Who cares.

Wirelessly posted

authentic said:
My 1-week ex date dumped me after she found out that I dislike spicy food. :lol:

Who cares.

You are so not my friend....you don't like spicy food.
JUST TEASING you :) :)

Your ex is weird.

Habanero peppers are my limit. Favorite way to eat them is to boil green beans, onion, ham, and the peppers. Very tasty. I use Jalapenos to spice up my ham sandwiches :D

Once I had dinner at a friend's, and on the plate was a tiny red thing, some kind of pepper. I broke it up into tiny pieces and spread it over my plate, and took a bite. I started feeling like I was eating molten lava, and started sweating profusely. I wiped my tearing eyes with my fingers and my eyes caught fire. I do not remember much of what happened after that. :lol:

We like to grill jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. They are named armadillo eggs. Only sissies remove the seeds. They are wonderful.

We sliver habaneros onto omelets, and use crushed chili pequins on lots of things. Much perkier than the bottled pepper flakes.

We eat fresh raw tabasco red and green peppers as a condiment with foods.

Very healthy for you unless there are problems. Very high in vitamins.

Pickled peppers are good chopped and used instead of relishes, especially the bread and butter jalapenos. Sweet and hot. mmm

Back