WWIII has begin?

dark

Reaction score
North Korea fired scores of artillery shells at a South Korean island on Tuesday, killing two soldiers, in one of the heaviest attacks on its neighbor since the Korean War ended in 1953.

The barrage -- the South fired back and sent a fighter jet to the area -- was close to a disputed maritime border on the west of the divided peninsula and the scene of deadly clashes in the past. South Korea was conducting military drills in the area at the time but said it had not been firing at the North.

The attack came as the reclusive North, and its ally China, presses regional powers to return to negotiations on its nuclear weapons program and revelations at the weekend Pyongyang is fast developing another source of material to make atomic bombs.

It also follows moves by leader Kim Jong-il to make his youngest, but unproven, son his heir apparent, leading some analysts to question whether the bombardment might in part have been an attempt to burnish the ruling family's image with the military.

"Houses and mountains are on fire and people are evacuating. You can't see very well because of plumes of smoke," a witness on the island told YTN Television before the shelling, which lasted about an hour, ended.

YTN said at least 200 North Korean shells hit Yeonpyeong, which lies off the west coast of the divided peninsula near a disputed maritime border. Most landed on a military base there.

Photographs from Yeongyeong island, just 120 km (75 miles) west of Seoul, showed columns of smoke rising from buildings. Two soldiers were killed in the attack, 17 wounded. Three civilians were also hurt.

News of the attack rattled global markets, already unsettled by Ireland's debt woes and a shift to less risky assets.

Experts say North Korea's Kim has for decades played a carefully calibrated game of provocation to squeeze concessions from the international community and impress his own military. The risk is that the leadership transition has upset this balance and that events spin out of control.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, who has pursued a hard line with the North since taking office nearly three years ago, said a response had to be firm following the attack.

But he made no suggestion the South would retaliate further, suggesting Seoul was taking a measured response to prevent things getting out of hand.

The North has a huge array of artillery pointed at Seoul that could decimate an urban area home to around 25 million people and cause major damage to its trillion dollar economy.

The two Koreas are still technically at war -- the Korean War ended only with a truce -- and tension rose sharply early this year after Seoul accused the North of torpedoing one of its navy vessels, killing 46 sailors.

North Korea said its wealthy neighbor started the fight.

"Despite our repeated warnings, South Korea fired dozens of shells from 1 p.m. ... and we've taken strong military action immediately," its KCNA news agency said in a brief statement.

source with redirect;
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AM0YS20101123

India has formed two new army divisions - comprising more than 36,000 men - to defend the north-eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh.

The remote north-eastern state adjoins China which claims large parts of it.

The 56th Division will be based in the nearby state of Nagaland to guard the eastern flank of Arunachal Pradesh from Chinese attack through Burma.

The other new formation, the 71st Division, will be based in Assam to protect central Arunachal Pradesh.

There has been no response so far from China to the decision.

Mountain warfare
Already the Indian Fifth Mountain Division guards western Arunachal Pradesh while another division is responsible for protecting the eastern part of the state.

In addition there are counter-insurgency troops in Assam who can be sent to the Sino-Indian border at short notice.

A total of 1,260 officers and 35,011 soldiers have been assigned to the two new divisions, which are being especially equipped for mountain warfare.

Officials say they were formed at the behest of the Indian army chief, General VK Singh - who said they were necessary to beef up defences against China.

Gen Singh was not available for comment but one of his staff officers, on condition of anonymity, told the BBC that the army chief had "pushed very hard to fast-track the raising of the two divisions".

He said that they should be "fully operational" by March 2011.

He said their formation was India's response to the "huge Chinese build-up" in Tibet over the last three to four years. But he did not wish to elaborate.

India is also raising a paramilitary force called the Arunachal Scouts and Sikkim Scouts to help the army protect the Sino-Indian border in the states of Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim.

"All the men in these formations will be drawn from mountain-fit local tribesmen but the officers will be from the army, at least for a while," said a corps commander.

Their formation will be modelled on the Ladakh Scouts, who the army says bravely fought Pakistani intruders during the Kargil conflict of 1999.

India says the new measures have been put in place partly because China has "superb" communications on its side of the border, especially after a new train line to Lhasa was built in 2006.

India says that the Chinese airlift capability is also far superior.

The formation of the two new divisions means that India's deployments in the eastern sector of its border with China now matches the five army divisions that existed in 1986-87, when the two countries nearly went to war.

But after India and China signed a "Peace and Tranquillity" treaty in 1993, both sides scaled down their deployments as part of a confidence-building package.

another source with redirect;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11818840

/Discuss!

They should have just left MacArthur alone :roll:

No, its not WWIII it is the never ending war between N. Korea and S. Korea. It is still a war because peace was never established (just a truce).

paranoid much, dark?

They should have just left MacArthur alone :roll:

No, its not WWIII it is the never ending war between N. Korea and S. Korea. It is still a war because peace was never established (just a truce).

:gpost:

Cooler heads will prevail. Obviously, there's some communication issues.

<still murkey about who fired first or the source of origin for aggression...could S. Korea because it's been claimed they did test shots or were holding military exercise...hold the phone on calling up troops>

Well, they were still at war but they ceased fire decades ago. It's nothing new. Although the government of South Korea did say there would be consequences... we'll have to wait and see.

World War III? Well, that's jumping the gun.

If nothing it will just be the 2nd half of Korean War, no WWIII.

Cooler heads will prevail. Obviously, there's some communication issues.

<still murkey about who fired first or the source of origin for aggression...could S. Korea because it's been claimed they did test shots or were holding military exercise...hold the phone on calling up troops>

SK notified NK about military test drill. NK fired about 100 rounds. SK fired back with about 80 rounds.

IMO - SK shouldn't have fired back at all. They should exercise with extreme restraint and let the world do the scorning and finger-pointing at NK for an act of aggression.

SK notified NK about military test drill. NK fired about 100 rounds. SK fired back with about 80 rounds.

IMO - SK shouldn't have fired back at all. They should exercise with extreme restraint and let the world do the scorning and finger-pointing at NK for an act of aggression.

source please? couldn't find anything short and sweet like what you wrote...

SK shouln't have fired back...you're right about that...but I'm curious what happened between

"SK notifed NK about military test drill." And "NK fired about 100 rounds".

I wonder what the rules of conducting a military test drill are...and whether S. Korea/N. Korea violated them or the test conditions... and/or fired first?

I always lol at some SK politicians screaming for retaliation or similar harsher action. It's just a tiny minority of political party with extremist view but unfortunately influential. It's no different from Zionists who constantly pushes for ironfist strategy on Palestine.

source please? couldn't find anything short and sweet like what you wrote...

SK shouln't have fired back...you're right about that...but I'm curious what happened between

"SK notifed NK about military test drill." And "NK fired about 100 rounds".

I wonder what the rules of conducting a military test drill are...and whether S. Korea/N. Korea violated them or the test conditions... and/or fired first?

check any news site. I got mine from CNN - frontpage.

After North Korean strike, South Korean leader threatens 'retaliation' - CNN.com
A senior U.S. defense official said South Korea informed North Korea before firing its first artillery rounds, as part of that training mission, and that "there's no reason North Korea should have been surprised by this firing of artillery."

The U.S. military does not publicly announce its military posture or "state of readiness," but no changes have been observed from what U.S. forces in Korea were doing before this attack. The official says that North Korea has a history of unpredictable behavior and that "in some ways, this is not surprising for them."

and then...

This latest action occurred during South Korean maritime military drills. North Korea said the incident stemmed from those exercises, code named Hoguk, and called the activity "war maneuvers for a war of aggression."

The "South Korean puppet group" engaged in "reckless military provocation" by firing "dozens of shells" inside its territorial waters "despite the repeated warnings of the DPRK" or Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the North's military said in a statement.

"The revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK standing guard over the inviolable territorial waters of the country took such a decisive military step as reacting to the military provocation of the puppet group with a prompt powerful physical strike," the statement said.

:zzz:

same ole' same ole' fingerpointing game... nothing new... nothing to see in here... give it another couple days and this will be in Page 9... next to "CBF" section. :cool2:

this is funny... NK didn't like how SK conducted its military drill? well gee.... remember NK conducted its military drill last year? the one where NK launched test missile which flew over Japan? what a hypocrite.

I always lol at some SK politicians screaming for retaliation or similar harsher action. It's just a tiny minority of political party with extremist view but unfortunately influential. It's no different from Zionists who constantly pushes for ironfist strategy on Palestine.

influence of politicians are different from each country because they may have different systems of representation. In US two major parties. France...like 20 minor but almost all "equally" represented.

influence of politicians are different from each country because they may have different systems of representation. In US two major parties. France...like 20 minor but almost all "equally" represented.

It only take a few influential, loud-spoken politicians to rouse up some feathers. It's very easy for them to take advantage of any incidents like this by painting other politicians as "unpatriotic" or "weak coward" for acting with restraint and they baited n' trolled them into launching war out of fear of being out of job by election.

Remember what Swift Boat veterans did to John Kerry? yea that cost him an election big time.

I feel sorry for SK President being forced to take hard stance on it just to appease angry people. :roll:

however.... the current SK President Lee Myung-Bak is the worst. He has a nickname - RAT since his face looks like a rat. The allegation was said that he had the previous SK President killed. My mom cried when she heard the sudden news about former SK President Roh Moo-Hyun suddenly committing suicide. He was a very very good president... the only president in decades to ever visit NK.

Most Korean people including my parents can't wait for Lee Myung-Bak to leave. He's extremely corrupted. He makes Kennedy Assassination looks like a classic Halloween story.... and he makes Bush/Cheney looks like a copycat. When President Lee arrived at former President Roh's funeral.... nobody stood up for him out of respect. They faced away from him. They knew Lee was involved in Roh's death.

Embarrassing.

It only take a few influential, loud-spoken politicians to rouse up some feathers. It's very easy for them to take advantage of any incidents like this by painting other politicians as "unpatriotic" or "weak coward" for acting with restraint and they baited n' trolled them into launching war out of fear of being out of job by election.

Remember what Swift Boat veterans did to John Kerry? yea that cost him an election big time.

I feel sorry for SK President being forced to take hard stance on it just to appease angry people. :roll:

however.... the current SK President Lee Myung-Bak is the worst. He has a nickname - RAT since his face looks like a rat. The allegation was said that he had the previous SK President killed. My mom cried when she heard the sudden news about former SK President Roh Moo-Hyun suddenly committing suicide. He was a very very good president... the only president in decades to ever visit NK.

Most Korean people including my parents can't wait for Lee Myung-Bak to leave. He's extremely corrupted. He makes Kennedy Assassination looks like a classic Halloween story.... and he makes Bush/Cheney looks like a copycat. When President Lee arrived at former President Roh's funeral.... nobody stood up for him out of respect. They faced away from him. They knew Lee was involved in Roh's death.

Embarrassing.

Doesn't help to have a President such as this residing over this conflict isn't as even-keeled as the prior President. I heard good things about the previous Pres. and bad things about the current Pres. I sincerely hope that changes and peace ensues.

Here's to multi-lateral talks.

Doesn't help to have a President such as this residing over this conflict isn't as even-keeled as the prior President. I heard good things about the previous Pres. and bad things about the current Pres. I sincerely hope that changes and peace ensues.

Here's to multi-lateral talks.

nope.... nope.... I don't know when his term expires but I hope anytime soon!!! He's caused nothing but trouble. At the same time - he's made a certain group of companies and people extremely rich.

lee-myung-bak.jpg

Look...he's smiling.

Let me get my popcorn ready.

paranoid much, dark?

Haha, no. I were wondering if its possible to begin WWIII since middle east countries doesn't getting along, and twin stubborn koreas butthead each others, and also Asia started to sending 36k soldiers which is suspicious. :hmm:

Haha, no. I were wondering if its possible to begin WWIII since middle east countries doesn't getting along, and twin stubborn koreas butthead each others, and also Asia started to sending 36k soldiers which is suspicious. :hmm:

What's your definition of a world war?

Is it currently happening?

Countries do "suspicious" behavior all the time. I'm not sure what you mean by "Asia started to sending 36k soldiers"...Not sure why this would be relevant in determining an increased risk of a "world war". There's a lot we (the public) don't know...so let's hope the information is flowing between the decision-makers and not making bad decisions on imperfect information.

Back