Homemade Coffee Snobs

I didnt know that you loved coffee...beer and cigars, yes. Is that a new habit?

That Sweet Maria site is a great resource. I found that you can actually home roast beans in a stovetop popper with excellent results. I already have one of those, so to get started homeroasting, I wouldn't need to invest any money. I'm going for it!

I don't see much difference between the French Press and the Eva solo. They seem to operate using very similar principles, but the Eva is much more expensive, and for what? It's just a glass carafe with a filter/stopper and a neoprene jacket. I don't get it. 90$? It should cost less than half that. I'll stick with my French press, which I can clean in about 2 minutes.

with Eva Solo, you can quickly pour in coffee grind and hot water... zip it up with neoprene jacket and take it with you to work. it doesn't feel hot if you hold it. so simple and cool.

so it's like French Press + Thermal in one package.

I ordered my Vintage Via Veneto stovetop espresso maker yesterday off eBay.

Pic00016.jpg

I've head good things about this device, but I'm not expecting it to make amazing, crema espresso. What I AM really looking forward to is the milk steaming wand, which apparently works the same way as a top quality barrista machine.

Sccchweeeet!

Pic00016.jpg

I've head good things about this device, but I'm not expecting it to make amazing, crema espresso. What I AM really looking forward to is the milk steaming wand, which apparently works the same way as a top quality barrista machine.

Sccchweeeet!

I'll bet that made L very very happy? hahahaha

BTW I saw L last Sat. :)

Pic00016.jpg

Sccchweeeet!

dammmmnnnnnnnnn

I don't have a fancy coffee machine but I do make iced coffee from time to time to save on iced coffee when I want it.

I'll bet that made L very very happy? hahahaha

BTW I saw L last Sat. :)

Actually, I think she's kind of annoyed because it took away one of her Christmas present options for me. hehe. But I don't think she cares that much because she will directly benefit from it. :giggle:

And yes, she told me she saw you. :)

Actually, I think she's kind of annoyed because it took away one of her Christmas present options for me. hehe. But I don't think she cares that much because she will directly benefit from it. :giggle:

And yes, she told me she saw you. :)

Awww...maybe I can help her out in that dept for Christmas.:hmm:

Come on now, let's keep this thread alive! Where's all the coffee snobs?

Anyway, I got my Via Veneto espresso maker (http://www.alldeaf.com/lifestyle-health-fitness-food/96347-homemade-coffee-snobs.html#post1971159) on Friday, and I've been very impressed with the quality of espresso it's making. It's very well designed and made. It's probably around 30 years old already, and I expect it to last my entire lifetime.

This is way better than moka pot espresso. It's got much more flavor. Not bitter at all, and there's even a little bit of crema. If I used fresh roasted and ground beans, I bet I could get even more crema.

I'm still learning how to froth milk with the steaming wand. Haven't quite figured out the technique to get microfoam consistency yet, but all in all, I can make a great latte with this device for a fraction of the cost that Shitbuck's would charge.

Come on now, let's keep this thread alive! Where's all the coffee snobs?

Anyway, I got my Via Veneto espresso maker (http://www.alldeaf.com/lifestyle-health-fitness-food/96347-homemade-coffee-snobs.html#post1971159) on Friday, and I've been very impressed with the quality of espresso it's making. It's very well designed and made. It's probably around 30 years old already, and I expect it to last my entire lifetime.

This is way better than moka pot espresso. It's got much more flavor. Not bitter at all, and there's even a little bit of crema. If I used fresh roasted and ground beans, I bet I could get even more crema.

I'm still learning how to froth milk with the steaming wand. Haven't quite figured out the technique to get microfoam consistency yet, but all in all, I can make a great latte with this device for a fraction of the cost that Shitbuck's would charge.
yep. it's very difficult. I already went thru a carton of milk. still can't get it right :mad2:

I had a Keurig steamer/frother and it was great. Unfortunately, it stopped working. That's probably not good enough for coffee snobs but it worked for me.

yep. it's very difficult. I already went thru a carton of milk. still can't get it right :mad2:

Have you found any online resources for this? I've watched a bunch of videos on youtube, but they all use professional, high tech steamers and make it look so easy.

From what I can tell, you're supposed to keep the nozzle just below the surface of the milk, but then there are techniques called "stretching" and "texturizing" and I just don't know wtf that is. I'm also not sure what velocity the steam should be at. The steamer on my machine can put out a pretty strong blast.

Also, it seems to me that I need a frothing pitcher (like this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/12oz-Frothing-Pitcher-stainless-steel/dp/B000MR6I9I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322515445&sr=8-2"]frothing pitcher[/ame] that is designed specifically for the task. My guess would be that it is the shape that allows for proper convection of the steam moving through the milk? :dunno: Why does this shit have to be so complicated! :mad:

I have a nice machine somewhere..... never used it. I don't even know what kind it is although I think it is a Keurig. Love coffee but I really have time to mess with it. My Whole Foods Market has a coffee bar that is pretty cool. I miss Peet's....

Have you found any online resources for this? I've watched a bunch of videos on youtube, but they all use professional, high tech steamers and make it look so easy.

From what I can tell, you're supposed to keep the nozzle just below the surface of the milk, but then there are techniques called "stretching" and "texturizing" and I just don't know wtf that is. I'm also not sure what velocity the steam should be at. The steamer on my machine can put out a pretty strong blast.
still not easy because I don't have a Chef Ramsey-like expert yelling at me and correcting what I'm doing wrong :mad2:

stretching is when the volume of milk increases as milk turns into foam - this is where you have to repeatedly move your cup up and down as milk whirls around. the whole purpose is to "soften" the milk.

texturing is when you create air-to-milk ratio foam... I think.

I've failed in everything. I'm a failure.

Also, it seems to me that I need a frothing pitcher (like this one: that is designed specifically for the task. My guess would be that it is the shape that allows for proper convection of the steam moving through the milk? :dunno: Why does this shit have to be so complicated! :mad:
yea I have a frothing pitcher. still difficult. do you have temperature too? it matters too. everything matters - the way you position your cup to make a vortex, the temperature of steam, duration of stretching, velocity of steam, type of milk, etc.

cannot believe this level of difficulty and complexity just to make a simple frothing.

one of my dreams is to be a barista. damn... this shit ain't easy :mad2:

^^ LMAO. Yeah, who would have thought it took skill to pour a cup of coffee. Now I want to kick some Italian's ass for inventing lattes and making this shit complicated. Maybe I should kick my own ass :hmm:

I don't have a thermometer, yet . . . I guess I'll have to get one now so I can be as big a failure as you. lol

Back