Hello everyone xXx

Timothy's Mum

Reaction score
Hi, everyone, I am Timothy's Mum, Sheryl..... Timothy is five & has failed his two hearing tests at school, plus she shouts a lot. I think his speech is ok but does often miss here words. He failed both hearing tests when he was one as well but they said he was fine when he went for a "special" hearing test..... Does anyone have any idea what is going to happen next... I have been to the Dr today & they are going to refer us again which is good. I am just a little worried as this is Five hearing tests he has failed but he seems to be able to hear, even though I said from birth I thought he had some hearing loss as he only jumped to load noises & vibrations xXx

Have they talked about hearing aids for him? I would assume that would be the next step, its always good to start signing with him, if you havent already. Speech is great, but it may be easier for him to learn to sign for when hearing is harder (he may be able to hear more some days then others) Also (Im an early childhood education major) its actually more benificial for him to be able to speak both languages (asl, and English) it promotes brain development becuause it is verbal, and phyiscal, and the more parts of your brain you stimulate at a time the more retension will occur. I hope everything works out with your little guy! please message me if you have any other questions :)

Hi, the strange thing is I have always signed with him, especially when he is being unruly as the visual seems to calm him down..... The thing that confuses me is he can hear but I have always thought there is something wrong & I must admit am a little annoyed that when he went for the test before they said he was fine & has now failed the tests again & we have been putting his behaviour down to him just being naughty.
There has been no mention of aids yet as we need the appointment at the hospital first
Obviously you have not ever met him but could the shouting when talking & also being really scared when he wakes at night be to do with his hearing xXx

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Hard of hearing people shout because we can't hear our own voices. It's difficult to modulate my voice.

Have they talked about hearing aids for him? I would assume that would be the next step, its always good to start signing with him, if you havent already. Speech is great, but it may be easier for him to learn to sign for when hearing is harder (he may be able to hear more some days then others) Also (Im an early childhood education major) its actually more benificial for him to be able to speak both languages (asl, and English) it promotes brain development becuause it is verbal, and phyiscal, and the more parts of your brain you stimulate at a time the more retension will occur. I hope everything works out with your little guy! please message me if you have any other questions :)

You're deaf? HOH?

You're deaf? HOH?

No, she's a new ASL student.

Quote from Celly37

Hearing ASL student

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to get connected on oovoo or even skype (but prefer oovoo since we can get more people on at a time) with any ASL students or honestly anyone willing to sign with me! I have only completed ASL 1 and I just started ASL 2. I would like to become more fluent and comfortable signing and I really want to learn as much as I can so I can communicate with the deaf effectively!! Girls only please! Also if anyone has any tips on how i can better help my fiancee learn ASL I would love to hear them! He works at a hospital and he had a deaf patient not too long ago, and realized he really needs to learn ASL, he felt awful that he could not communicate with him almost at all. I dont really know how to teach him because i am still learning too :/ If anyone would be willing to skype or oovoo with us and teach us some signs that would be useful in a hospital situation we would really really appreciate it! <3

Probably not the best place for a parent of a deaf child to take advice. :hmm:

No, she's a new ASL student.

Quote from Celly37

Probably not the best place for a parent of a deaf child to take advice. :hmm:

Agreed.

Timothy's mom - I advise you to take advice from those who are actual experts in deaf education and have a real insight into deaf needs.

Hi, the strange thing is I have always signed with him, especially when he is being unruly as the visual seems to calm him down..... The thing that confuses me is he can hear but I have always thought there is something wrong & I must admit am a little annoyed that when he went for the test before they said he was fine & has now failed the tests again & we have been putting his behaviour down to him just being naughty.
There has been no mention of aids yet as we need the appointment at the hospital first
Obviously you have not ever met him but could the shouting when talking & also being really scared when he wakes at night be to do with his hearing xXx

Deafness does not cause nightmares. However, how one is treated because they are deaf could make one sleep badly.

Your son did not fail, he is not a failure. His hearing levels were simply diagnosed. You need to reframe the view on deafness and take out words that suggest that if one is deaf, they have failed. By using different words, you will have changed your outlook and your child's for the better.

Hi, everyone, I am Timothy's Mum, Sheryl..... Timothy is five & has failed his two hearing tests at school, plus she shouts a lot. I think his speech is ok but does often miss here words. He failed both hearing tests when he was one as well but they said he was fine when he went for a "special" hearing test..... Does anyone have any idea what is going to happen next... I have been to the Dr today & they are going to refer us again which is good. I am just a little worried as this is Five hearing tests he has failed but he seems to be able to hear, even though I said from birth I thought he had some hearing loss as he only jumped to load noises & vibrations xXx

Hey TM... get yourself a second opinion. Also explore other auditory issues because hearing is not just limited to the ear. There are complex process involved with the brain as well.

If you need some recommendations, let us know about where you are located so someone here can point you in the right direction. At this point, we really know too little about your son to really tell you what is going on.

Drop the "unruly" label, too. Little boys are full of adventurous energy. If you can't manage him, try some parenting classes to learn some new techniques (this has nothing to do with hearing). I recommend Parenting with Love and Logic.

Sallylou, that's a great suggestion! labeling a kid can become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, I was really confused as to what "failing" the hearing test meant. If there's a way to "pass" it let me know lol....

Yeah, I was really confused as to what "failing" the hearing test meant. If there's a way to "pass" it let me know lol....

ROFL! At Gallaudet you failed the hearing test if your results were not "bad" enough to qualify for assistance. You passed it if you got really high decibel levels! :D

It's hard for parents of deaf or hoh children to understand how their children can possibly be so damn happy with out being able to hear well. Well, gosh darn-it, I cannot explain it except to say "it is what it is".

Hi everyone, I have not under any circumstances labelled Timothy, I only used the word unrully as I did not want to say he is naughty as he is never (in my eyes, naughty) after all he is just a child & has a right to act like a child..... I have never said he is a failure & he is not treated any different to my other children.... The school said he failed his test, I asked the school how he failed & they said I had to talk to the Dr, who told me he is going to be refered to the hospital & so far have had no answers apart from the fact he is somewhat deaf. The degree or anything else I have no idea xXx

Well TM, do keep coming back here, let us know how you are doing. Even if Timothy is only a little bit deaf, there are many here (including me) that started out that way and may be able to give you feedback and suggestions that hopefully will make his life that much fuller and richer. :)

That is what I am looking for thank you. The school & the Dr has so far not been much help at all xXx

Hi everyone, I have not under any circumstances labelled Timothy, I only used the word unrully as I did not want to say he is naughty as he is never (in my eyes, naughty) after all he is just a child & has a right to act like a child..... I have never said he is a failure & he is not treated any different to my other children.... The school said he failed his test, I asked the school how he failed & they said I had to talk to the Dr, who told me he is going to be refered to the hospital & so far have had no answers apart from the fact he is somewhat deaf. The degree or anything else I have no idea xXx

Ok this helps, it wasn't performed by an audiologist. That may be where you want to go. From there if there's issues the audiologist is concerned about they can refer you to an ENT.

Yes it was an Audiologist that came in to the school xXx

I'm even more confused then. If it were an audiologist I have a hard time understanding why they would say he failed the tests instead of explaining the test results to you. Maybe it's me but I remember the little beep tests from elementary school, totally different than the tests that I have now. I'd get another test somewhere else regardless of the hospital appointment.

Back