Don't use skype for banking

tuatara

pro-water
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this. Mods, please move if you think it should be somewhere else.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQnf7YmRc7k]ASL Don't use SKYPE for banking! - YouTube[/ame]

Interpreter on youtube discusses how some people who don't have VP have tried to use skype (call an interpreter friend and ask for a favor, help them make a call) -

She warns: Don't try to use skype to call your bank. If you want to make any changes to your account, this will trigger a fraud alert and you can lose access to your account (atm, debit card, etc) until you go to the bank with ID to prove who you are and fix the problem.

I'm not sure where to post this. Mods, please move if you think it should be somewhere else.

ASL Don't use SKYPE for banking! - YouTube

Interpreter on youtube discusses how some people who don't have VP have tried to use skype (call an interpreter friend and ask for a favor, help them make a call) -

She warns: Don't try to use skype to call your bank. If you want to make any changes to your account, this will trigger a fraud alert and you can lose access to your account (atm, debit card, etc) until you go to the bank with ID to prove who you are and fix the problem.

I don't bother using Skype at all-- prefer to use a VP under my name, so they can actually verify who I am. Easier that way.

Only stupid people use Skype for online banking. I refuse to use 2nd party apps for banking either....Mint.com for example.

Only stupid people use Skype for online banking. I refuse to use 2nd party apps for banking either....Mint.com for example.

If no interpreter, travel to the bank or go online. Do NOT try and mess up your account by using someone else-- that's a good way to screw up real good. That's for relay, that is. Don't try using something that's not authorized for banking-- yet.

What about use Sorenson VRS for banking?

Already do. They have two of my numbers-- ntouch PC and ntouch mobile, because never know if I am out of the house, and they need to reach me.

Nobody should even need to be told this if they are able to have a bank account.

No problem, it is because all 5 VRS providers use third party agency called Neustar, Neustar is responsible for assigning 10 digit local number on ALL phones, yes land land, cellphone, Certified relay service providers and so on. Banking system depends on Neustar for authenticity of all incoming calls. Skype, and other type of calls do not use Neustar, so no Neustar connection, no banking service.

Neustar is a government contractor dealing with 10 digit numeric plans in North America only, Canada, Mexico, and other countries have their own agencies.

so when you call a bank from your SVRS VP, your Sorenson 10 digit number will show up at bank's caller ID and if it matches on your account profile, you will be fine.

Already do. They have two of my numbers-- ntouch PC and ntouch mobile, because never know if I am out of the house, and they need to reach me.

I'm asking about is it safe to use Sorenson VRS for banking.

No problem, it is because all 5 VRS providers use third party agency called Neustar, Neustar is responsible for assigning 10 digit local number on ALL phones, yes land land, cellphone, Certified relay service providers and so on. Banking system depends on Neustar for authenticity of all incoming calls. Skype, and other type of calls do not use Neustar, so no Neustar connection, no banking service.

You answered my question. :ty:

Ok, I never use VP for banking.

I only meet in person at bank and communication in writing.

Do it all the time. If the interpreter revealed my info to anyone else, that person would be terminated and if my info was compromised, there could be some sort of legal problem, although I dunno how that part works.

I have done VP calls with Wells Fargo and Bank of America without ANY issue. That was after 10 digit local number becomes mandatory. During the days of proxy number, meaning anyone can make up 10 digit fake number, I can't place calls with bank. Glad it was over.

Ok, I never use VP for banking.

I only meet in person at bank and communication in writing.

I have done VP calls with Wells Fargo and Bank of America without ANY issue. That was after 10 digit local number becomes mandatory. During the days of proxy number, meaning anyone can make up 10 digit fake number, I can't place calls with bank. Glad it was over.

Same here, and I make sure to use numbers that are under my own name, and not someone else's VP number, as that could cause problems.

VRS service is a professional serviceand is not allowed to use any personal info to anyone else. That's why we don't know the interpreter's name only use the number and letter ID. I'm not sure why they choose to use Skype for interpreter as it is not professional and risky to compromise your personal information. I've used Sorenson and never had issues as they know the law and has always been professional since I use their service.

VRS service is a professional serviceand is not allowed to use any personal info to anyone else. That's why we don't know the interpreter's name only use the number and letter ID. I'm not sure why they choose to use Skype for interpreter as it is not professional and risky to compromise your personal information. I've used Sorenson and never had issues as they know the law and has always been professional since I use their service.

Same here. I wouldn't trust certain VRS providers with that information. SVRS is the only one I trust.

Do it all the time. If the interpreter revealed my info to anyone else, that person would be terminated and if my info was compromised, there could be some sort of legal problem, although I dunno how that part works.

uh..murder isn't an option. It's against the law. :hmm:

On a serious note, I usually use Live Help online when I need to talk to the bank. I love live help.

uh..murder isn't an option. It's against the law. :hmm:

On a serious note, I usually use Live Help online when I need to talk to the bank. I love live help.

No killing. I'll just sue the person for comproming my info, if I ever found out who it was, but I've never had that issue, so I think I'll be all right.

Back