Nucleus 5 and Freedom comparison video

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I've seen some discussions here on AD about the new Nucleus 5 implant but I haven't seen this video posted anywhere yet. So I just thought I'd post it.

It's a pretty good video comparing the new Nucleus 5 with the Nucleus Freedom. So you'll be able to see the size difference.

I just got the Nuclues 5 implant surgery last Wednesday. I read some comments about not liking the fact that there's a square part in the implant rather then round. Well, I have the square on in me right now and my friend has the old round one. You cannot feel or see any difference.

Anyway, here's the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzTGM5grPTg]YouTube - New!! Cochlear Nucleus 5 Processor Review (CC enabled)[/ame]

Ron

does he have his old implant but upgraded Freedom processor to N5? or just recently had an implant surgery?

I noticed he is wearing hearing aids on his other ear.. well it look like an ear mold

While I was waiting to get my CI surgery they told me that if I got it in time I would first get a freedom. Then when the 5 was approved by the FDA I'd get that and be able to keep my old freedom for back up. Unfortunately I didn't' get mine in time but maybe that's how this guy got both.

So, I really don't know. I'm sure upgrades are available but if insurance will cover that upgrade is another matter. :(

my hubby is planning to check with the insurance to see if they will be able to cover the expense of getting a new Nucelus 5. He has a freedom. He hasn't check with his insurance yet, maybe after x mas.

I would be able to upgrade to N5 in about 2/3 years as the NHS allows you to have the same model for 5 years before you can have an upgrade

I like the remote. The man said N5 don't have rechargeable but freedom have one.

I don't think Freedom electrode need to be re-implant replacement to N5. Just replacement the sound processor and magnet coil.

You do not need to be reimplanted for N5.

Rechargeables for N5 have not yet been approved by FDA but will be

I like the remote. The man said N5 don't have rechargeable but freedom have one.

I don't think Freedom electrode need to be re-implant replacement to N5. Just replacement the sound processor and magnet coil.

I didn't think they needed to be but just wondering if he did.

Back