2006 : Boxing vs MMA vs WWE

MaxUFC

Reaction score
BIGGEST EVENT OF 2006: UFC VS. BOXING VS. WWE
Monday, January 08, 2007 - by Ivan Trembow - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biggest Event of 2006: UFC vs. Boxing vs. WWE

With the UFC's business exploding in every category over the past twelve months, many people have asked how the UFC's current level of business compares with that of boxing and pro wrestling, which are two of the UFC's primary competitors.

To examine this issue, we're going to take a look at the two most relevant statistics for the largest shows of the year in each of the three aforementioned respective genres: Live gate revenue and pay-per-view revenue.

Television ratings information is not available for boxing on HBO or Showtime, and it has proven largely irrelevant in the case of WWE, which regularly produces TV shows with double or quadruple the UFC's TV ratings while also producing monthly pay-per-views with less than half of the UFC's domestic PPV buys.

The boxing event with the biggest live gate in 2006 was the May 6th fight between Oscar de la Hoya and Ricardo Mayorga, which generated $7,636,000 in gross ticket receipts.

Even with UFC 66 drawing the UFC's biggest live gate in history, its live gate total of $5,397,300 is still over two million dollars short of boxing's high mark in 2006.

However, if the UFC's own publicly stated predictions are accurate, UFC 66 will generate more PPV revenue than De la Hoya vs. Mayorga.

The fight between De la Hoya and Mayorga drew 925,000 pay-per-view buys in the United States at $49.95 per buy, which generated gross PPV revenue of $46.20 million.

The UFC has publicly and repeatedly predicted that UFC 66 will draw 1.2 million PPV buys, and with a price of $39.95, the gross PPV revenue would be $47.94 million.

The previous all-time record for UFC PPVs was set this past July by UFC 61, which drew approximately 775,000 buys and generated approximately $30.96 million in revenue.

In boxing, the all-time record for pay-per-view buys was set in 2002 by Mike Tyson vs. Lennox Lewis, which drew 2.0 million pay-per-view buys. That event is followed closely in the record books by the 1997 fight between Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield, which drew 1.99 million PPV buys.

The all-time record for a non-heavyweight boxing PPV was set in 1999 when Oscar de la Hoya's fight against Felix Trinidad drew 1.4 million PPV buys. De la Hoya's upcoming fight against Floyd Mayweather, Jr., which is scheduled to take place on May 5th, has a strong chance of breaking the 1.4 million record for a non-heavyweight boxing PPV.

With the decline in its domestic business in recent years, World Wrestling Entertainment is no longer in the same league as the UFC or big-name boxing match-ups when it comes to live gate sales or PPV revenue for the largest events.

The biggest WWE event of 2006 was WrestleMania, which took place on April 2nd and drew a live gate of just $2.5 million. In addition, WWE now claims that WrestleMania drew 636,000 PPV buys in the United States (an increase from WWE's previously claimed figure of 560,000).

If WWE's latest figure of 636,000 buys is accurate, that would equal PPV revenue of $31.77 million for the event, which would be $14.43 million short of the PPV revenue that was generated by De la Hoya vs. Mayorga, and $16.17 million short of Zuffa's projections for UFC 66.

Live Gate Sales (United States)

1. Boxing's Biggest Event of 2006: $7,636,000 (De la Hoya vs. Mayorga)

2. MMA's Biggest Event of 2006: $5,397,300 (UFC 66)

3. Pro Wrestling's Biggest Event of 2006: $2,500,000 (WWE WrestleMania)

Pay-Per-View Revenue (United States)

1. MMA's Biggest Event of 2006: $47.94 million (UFC 66, according to Zuffa's publicly stated projections)

2. Boxing's Biggest Event of 2006: $46.20 million (De la Hoya vs. Mayorga)

3. Pro Wrestling's Biggest Event of 2006: $31.77 million (WWE WrestleMania, according to WWE's latest claimed figures)

Oh boy, MMA is explosion sport nowdays. HBO's plan to show three UFC events this year and Showtime will show their own new MMA : EliteXC (Elite Fighting Championship) next month. I didn't expect that happen soon...but glad, I gotta be in heaven :angel:...no more waited for few months to watch next events like late 1990's. I think I need to work overtime to keep up with PPV LOL

WWE will staying health more than pro boxing in the future...as WWE are finest entertainment to be showing...I say that WWE will be topping over TNA and EWC anytime.

I won't be know if MMA would take some sports over in the future...yup, they never take America's favorite sports over aka NFL , NBA and MBL ever.

Ofc, WWE will beat over TNA... ECW is still under contract to WWE till Dec 2007 cuz of Sci Fi's contract, I am sure ECW will bury after Dec 2007... I hope WWE vs TNA war soon and WWE will beat TNA!

Ofc, WWE will beat over TNA... ECW is still under contract to WWE till Dec 2007 cuz of Sci Fi's contract, I am sure ECW will bury after Dec 2007... I hope WWE vs TNA war soon and WWE will beat TNA!

Yeah, WWF beat WCW in the past and WWE will beat TNA in the future. :D

Yeah, WWF beat WCW in the past and WWE will beat TNA in the future. :D

Technically WWF beat WCW/ECW (orginial one) called The Alliance during Survivor Series 2001, but WWF and fans dont recongize (sp?) ECW, just WCW team...

MMA (Ultimate fighting) is in my opinion the badest form of fighting. I believe that most MMA fighters would beat "boxers" or a "Pro Wrestler" Which by the way we all know that so called "Pro Wrestling" is really just a coreographed show

Back