List of Streaming Services with CC/Subtitles [Netflix, AppleTV, Vudu, Amazon, etc]

It is highly illogical for video businesses not to include access to subtitles and closed captions, since increasing accessibility increases profit. Captions and subtitles are used and appreciated by many people who are not deaf or hard-of-hearing.

As I've said elsewhere, why aren't we using our collective power? Why do a lot of deaf customers give their tacit approval of less-than by buying service that is not 100% accessible? If all deaf and hard-of-hearing people in this country who have video entertainment service of any kind went on strike and refused to pay for any video service that did not provide 100% access or a pricing scale whereby deaf people paid only for the percentage of available accessible content, media companies would notice a significant drop in profits.

Never mind the White House. Hit them where it hurts - in the pockets.

Throw in a good number of hearing people who would be willing to join such a nation-wide strike and you'd have CEO's scrambling like crazy.

I emailed Hulu last year about a pricing scale. They surprised me by responding that they did not have such a scale but that it would not be out of the question in the future. Maybe their response was pure PR, maybe not, but I give them kudos for responding when they could have chosen to say nothing at all like other businesses.

It is highly illogical for video businesses not to include access to subtitles and closed captions, since increasing accessibility increases profit. Captions and subtitles are used and appreciated by many people who are not deaf or hard-of-hearing.

As I've said elsewhere, why aren't we using our collective power? Why do a lot of deaf customers give their tacit approval of less-than by buying service that is not 100% accessible? If all deaf and hard-of-hearing people in this country who have video entertainment service of any kind went on strike and refused to pay for any video service that did not provide 100% access or a pricing scale whereby deaf people paid only for the percentage of available accessible content, media companies would notice a significant drop in profits.

Never mind the White House. Hit them where it hurts - in the pockets.

Throw in a good number of hearing people who would be willing to join such a nation-wide strike and you'd have CEO's scrambling like crazy.

I emailed Hulu last year about a pricing scale. They surprised me by responding that they did not have such a scale but that it would not be out of the question in the future. Maybe their response was pure PR, maybe not, but I give them kudos for responding when they could have chosen to say nothing at all like other businesses.
Some deaf people have joined Netflix but we can't stop them. One of my deaf co-workers told me that he enjoys watching foreign films with subtitles via Netflix so I told him that since he pays $7.99 monthly just to watch those kind of films on his TV, he's a fool but it's his money. Actually I just joined it myself only for one month to get an idea of how it works and I will cancel it before the free trial expires. IMO, Netflix still sucks.

To tell you the truth, alot of deaf people are lazy to fight back. So my point is that ADA should make a new law on internet media for deafies and the companies will have to follow it, otherwise they would pay a big fine each time.

So try that petition, it won't hurt you.

It's always concerned me that people with disabilities often want so little to do with their own betterment.

When I was a college student, I started a club for students with disabilities. Oh. My. Word. NOBODY wanted to be a club official. None of the other students with disabilities I approached wanted to do anything other than complain. For crying out loud, I was starting this club to give us all more leverage - why were they all dropping the handle on their own lives when I tried to give it to them?

It's not comforting to me to believe "someone, somewhere will do something somehow". Because it doesn't work that way. Someone once said to me "you don't ask, you don't get". While that's rather simplistic, it's more or less true.

I'm a little disappointed with Netglox. I've subscribed for about a year. Captioning seems to br disappearing. Is hulu better?

I'm still confused between captions and SDH.

I thought captions were for broadcast TV -- which means Blu-ray/DVD/streaming does not support it.

Isn't SDH the future since they're subtitles that provide caption stuff like [dog barking]?

Im happy with the captions on netflix using my roku. The only problem is that you cant change the captions color (its in yellow), so when there is a light background, its very difficult to read. As for hulu, i havent tried it roku yet, but the captions work pretty well on the computer.

Im wondering, does anyone have a list of roku channels that support captions, specifically, where I can rent/buy newer release movies (amazon is no good)?

3d with closed caption

I used my VIZIO 3d TV and my LG 3d Blu-Ray player and I saw my first 3d program with closed caption (cc) with the Blu-Ray disk "Hubble 3d by IMAX". I thought I would see cc only if I watched it in 2d. I was pleasantly surprised that the 3d had great closed caption as the only other 3d I had seen was using my Direc TV hooked to my 3d TV and most shows don't have cc, and those that have cc are not in the same format that Direc TV uses so they don't show up at all. I wear hearing aids and need cc to understand the story line.
The Blu-Ray was of great quality and My wife and I enjoyed it very much. We also appreciated the good price.

I also saw on this site that NETFLIX is showing movies with cc, and I am watching them now and I appreciate getting the information.

I used my VIZIO 3d TV and my LG 3d Blu-Ray player and I saw my first 3d program with closed caption (cc) with the Blu-Ray disk "Hubble 3d by IMAX". I thought I would see cc only if I watched it in 2d. I was pleasantly surprised that the 3d had great closed caption as the only other 3d I had seen was using my Direc TV hooked to my 3d TV and most shows don't have cc, and those that have cc are not in the same format that Direc TV uses so they don't show up at all. I wear hearing aids and need cc to understand the story line.
The Blu-Ray was of great quality and My wife and I enjoyed it very much. We also appreciated the good price.

I also saw on this site that NETFLIX is showing movies with cc, and I am watching them now and I appreciate getting the information.

Have some 3D TV without glasses? working with 3D Subtitle (CC)? I won't use 3D glasses and health is not good for vision.

I have subscribed to NFlix for about 6 years, DVDs at first, now DVDs & streaming. For all the well-deserved criticism of Netflix in the past, know this: Netflix offers far more subtitled and captioned streaming (And also DVD) selections than any other streaming service. True, it took a lawsuit for this to happen. Amazon streaming doesn't even compare--they're a lawsuit waiting to happen. I also like Hulu because it offers a way to filter according to captions/nocaptions. Don't care much for the ads, but hey it's free...

[snip}

Im wondering, does anyone have a list of roku channels that support captions, specifically, where I can rent/buy newer release movies (amazon is no good)?[/QUOTE]

Netflix is great for captioned DVD rental. Also Redbox is pretty good and it's ofeten easier to get new releases on Redbox than on Netflix.

Netflix and CC

Hi, All - I am not deaf but am hard-of-hearing and sometimes use hearing aides. I would prefer not to use them to watch movies on TV. Most TV programs I watch have CC, but I have been unable to stream movies from Netflix that include CC (BTW: is there a difference between subtitles and CC?). Netflix tells me that 90% of their content now has subtitles/CC, but they don't appear on my Vizio HDTV (which I bought in 2008 - it's a Vizio VX37L). Netflix also says - and I have read on alldeaf.com - that BOTH the service (Netflix) and the device (Blu-Ray players, etc.) must support CC. My Sony Blu-Ray does not support CC so I have cancelled Netflix. I would be willing to buy the "right" Blu Ray player - or other device (I am not a gamer and don't have or want a gaming console), but now I'm wondering if I would also have to buy a new TV.

Any information concerning which TVs and which Blu-Ray players (and other such devices) would work to support streaming Netflix would be much appreciated. Mark Rejhon listed a number of devices in Jan. of 2012 (thanks, Mark!), but I'm not sure if I would need to buy a new TV along with a new streaming device. If so, it might be cheaper to buy one of the gaming devices that would work with my older TV. I know a 5-year old TV sounds ancient, but it works just fine.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Hi, All - I am not deaf but am hard-of-hearing and sometimes use hearing aides. I would prefer not to use them to watch movies on TV. Most TV programs I watch have CC, but I have been unable to stream movies from Netflix that include CC (BTW: is there a difference between subtitles and CC?). Netflix tells me that 90% of their content now has subtitles/CC, but they don't appear on my Vizio HDTV (which I bought in 2008 - it's a Vizio VX37L). Netflix also says - and I have read on alldeaf.com - that BOTH the service (Netflix) and the device (Blu-Ray players, etc.) must support CC. My Sony Blu-Ray does not support CC so I have cancelled Netflix. I would be willing to buy the "right" Blu Ray player - or other device (I am not a gamer and don't have or want a gaming console), but now I'm wondering if I would also have to buy a new TV.

Any information concerning which TVs and which Blu-Ray players (and other such devices) would work to support streaming Netflix would be much appreciated. Mark Rejhon listed a number of devices in Jan. of 2012 (thanks, Mark!), but I'm not sure if I would need to buy a new TV along with a new streaming device. If so, it might be cheaper to buy one of the gaming devices that would work with my older TV. I know a 5-year old TV sounds ancient, but it works just fine.

Contact Netflix (customer service or tech support) for an updated list of TVs and BD players that support its subtitles. You only need one of them so if you buy the BD player, you don't need to buy a new TV and vice versa.

Nevertheless, I don't believe that 90% of its contents are captioned. I would say around 65-75% currently. However, it's going to caption 100% of them by 2014 as promised. http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...tflix-pledges-caption-all-content-2014-a.html

Very few blu-ray players have CC functions in Netflix.

Netflix (and all streaming services) use video technology much different than broadcast TV. Therefore the Caption Decoders built in to all TVs do NOT work with Internet-Streamed Video. Closed Captions (meaning they can be turned on or off when the viewer wants; Subtitles, in the streaming video world, means the same as Open Captions where the captions are always showed and cannot be turned off) are available on Netflix if the hardware with the Netflix "app" software has a newer version that has caption capabilities. Most older Blu-Ray Players and older HDTVs with built-in Netflix do NOT have Captions as an option.

You may need to get something else with Netflix built in (like a Roku Box/Stick - VERY cheap option) that will allow for Netflix CCs.

Again number of TITLES with CCs on Netflix is 65%. the 82% number (that some articles are rounding UP to 90% for some reason) is based on MINUTES STREAMED (so popular CC'd titles viewed mulitple times get counted more often than rarely viewed titles with no CCs)

FYI, the new CVAA law does NOT cover old hardware and equipment for Internet-Streamed video. The Hardware part of the law does not start until 2014 and only for NEW equipment sold after that date. Then all equipment with streaming software must have all "apps" with option to turn on Captions.

Just to clarify: I work for a closed captioning company and can confirm that no Blu Ray player supports closed captioning. It's a technical problem with Blu-Ray that it doesn't support line 21 format at all, so it's either subtitles or nothing.

You are correct from a practical viewpoint. However, technically speaking, there ARE Bluray players which generate CC (line 21) and Bluray discs which contain CC (line 21). I use them in my lab and for production testing quite often.

The problems are (a) like DVD players, not all Bluray players generate CC. I bought 4 different Bluray players models and found two did and two didn't. I just returned the two that didn't, and bought two more of the ones that did, but that isn't practical for a typical consumer. (b) very few Bluray moves have CC - when I last shopped about 2 years ago, I guess it was only 10% of the available titles.

Finally, even if you have a Bluray player that generates line 21 CC, and you have a Bluray movie containing CC, chances are you want to enjoy it in high definition (component or HDMI connections). The only way to see the line 21 captions would be to watch it using the composite video.

However - shameless plug - as I've mentioned on the forums here before, I have a box that passes HDMI video, and also decodes a corresponding analog video signal containing line 21 data. In this way, I can overlay closed captioning data onto video from a Bluray player (or most other HD video sources). The hardware is in production now, but the software only supports POP-ON mode captioning to-date. I'm working with a beta tester, and hope to have a full-feature unit ready in the next month or so, supporting ROLLUP and PAINTON styles as well (not so sure about TEXT, though that's way less common).

You are correct from a practical viewpoint. However, technically speaking, there ARE Bluray players which generate CC (line 21) and Bluray discs which contain CC (line 21). I use them in my lab and for production testing quite often.

The problems are (a) like DVD players, not all Bluray players generate CC. I bought 4 different Bluray players models and found two did and two didn't. I just returned the two that didn't, and bought two more of the ones that did, but that isn't practical for a typical consumer. (b) very few Bluray moves have CC - when I last shopped about 2 years ago, I guess it was only 10% of the available titles.

Finally, even if you have a Bluray player that generates line 21 CC, and you have a Bluray movie containing CC, chances are you want to enjoy it in high definition (component or HDMI connections). The only way to see the line 21 captions would be to watch it using the composite video.

However - shameless plug - as I've mentioned on the forums here before, I have a box that passes HDMI video, and also decodes a corresponding analog video signal containing line 21 data. In this way, I can overlay closed captioning data onto video from a Bluray player (or most other HD video sources). The hardware is in production now, but the software only supports POP-ON mode captioning to-date. I'm working with a beta tester, and hope to have a full-feature unit ready in the next month or so, supporting ROLLUP and PAINTON styles as well (not so sure about TEXT, though that's way less common).
Currently, what BD players have a built-in CC decoder and what BD movies have CC? Share with us, please.

I have three Samsung and two Sony Bluray players. I'll send the model numbers later when I get to the office. But these are about two year old models and may not be available. As far as movies. Just look for the CC logo. But there aren't many.

SAMSUNG BD-C5500
SONY BDP-S360

Both of these are no longer sold, but if you check the respective websites it looks like both have a follow-on model in the same family (BD-C6500 and BDP-S390).

I have three Bluray discs with closed captioning:

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith"
"League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"
"Patton"

All three have the closed caption symbol on the back of the case. One disc I have does NOT have actual CC nor the symbol, so I'm guessing the discs are fairly consistently marked.

Ah, Mr. CrazyPaul, I misread your question. Neither of these players has a built-in CC decoder. In fact, I've never seen any player, DVD nor Bluray, which did that (although I've heard rumors of one DVD player in the distant past). The players I posted above simply transmit the CC data found on the disc on line 21 of the composite video output. Not all players do, which has been the case with DVD players as well.

Back