Is a HP laptop with Windows 8/8.1 good?

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few of my friends have gotten a laptop with HP and Windows 8.1, but one friend has an Asus laptop with the same software. The difference between the HP laptop and the Asus laptop is that the Asus laptop is touch screen, which I'd never seen one of before, and it was my first time seeing one.

Now, my question is, is HP a good quality laptop? Or do you think I should go with Asus? Both are good, but I'd like some feedback, please. I'm trying to save up for a 2nd laptop for travel purposes, because I need to leave this one here at home.

Comments are welcome, but keep in mind: I'm only looking at these two, and not much else, because they're under $300, and that's my goal. :)

Happy Holidays, and Merry Christmas!

$300 for laptop? Sounds like junk hardware performance and probably short life.

Always check hardware specifications first.

$300 for laptop? Sounds like junk hardware performance and probably short life.

Always check hardware specifications first.

Actually, no. One came from Walmart, the other came from Best Buy (That would be the Asus laptop). The HP laptop I am referring to is HUGE-- 15.6 inches. The Asus laptop is a whole lot smaller-- makes me think the HP laptop is a better deal.

It's so hard, looking for advice on technology purchases. People who are really into it will tell you how you can only get junk within your price range, and how you need to spend more than you can afford to get something that will last.

But my experience hasn't supported that.

When I wanted to buy my first computer, I called a friend of mine who's a technology guru of sorts and we went to a big computer expo and he walked me through buying good quality everything, and then we built the machine together. He told me that manufacturers who sell you a computer already put together often take advantage of the opportunity to use cheap parts.

When that computer gave out, I went to a local shop and bought a computer they had put together from someone's used system.

When that one started showing signs that it was going to bite the dust, I bought a laptop, one level up from the cheapest thing out there. (I needed a little more RAM than the cheapest one had.)

The first cost me $2200.00. The second, if I remember correctly, was around $250.00. The third was around $350. And they all served me for about the same amount of time before starting to fail: 4-5 years.

I've had people tell me to buy something that costs 10 times more than what I'm looking at and say "This will last you 7 years." But for 10 times the money, if I stick with my budget approach, I'm good for 40-50 years. I think their intentions were good, but they may not have done the math. (Or understood where I'm coming from, which includes not needing or expecting state of the art technology.)

Put your money into your main use computer. Don't invest a lot in a "travel" computer that might end up lost or damaged. Also, don't save anything important or irreplaceable on the travel computer. If your travel computer is a less desirable brand it will also be less tempting to thieves.

Of course, the features you want are personal preference and will affect the cost. Do you play lots of games while traveling, or do you just check email and browse the web? Think about how you will be using the computer.

IMO

Put your money into your main use computer. Don't invest a lot in a "travel" computer that might end up lost or damaged. Also, don't save anything important or irreplaceable on the travel computer. If your travel computer is a less desirable brand it will also be less tempting to thieves.

Of course, the features you want are personal preference and will affect the cost. Do you play lots of games while traveling, or do you just check email and browse the web? Think about how you will be using the computer.

IMO

Mainly for checking e-mail and web browsing. However, these two laptops also have something I desire: a webcam. That means I can put a VP on my travel laptop, and thieves could make use of that laptop, which is why I want a laptop that requires a password to gain access to. You see, these laptops have Microsoft in them, and to have access to them, one must have a Microsoft account to access it, and that's what I like about these laptops-- if I ever lost or had it stolen, it would be protected.

Mainly for checking e-mail and web browsing. However, these two laptops also have something I desire: a webcam. That means I can put a VP on my travel laptop, and thieves could make use of that laptop, which is why I want a laptop that requires a password to gain access to. You see, these laptops have Microsoft in them, and to have access to them, one must have a Microsoft account to access it, and that's what I like about these laptops-- if I ever lost or had it stolen, it would be protected.
Since you posted that they have Windows OS I assumed that was MS.

I hope your password isn't markengland29. :lol:

Do you have LoJack protection for your laptop/s?

Since you posted that they have Windows OS I assumed that was MS.

I hope your password isn't markengland29. :lol:

Do you have LoJack protection for your laptop/s?

No it's not. I've actually made it quite hard to guess, and I've saved it on my flash drive, so if this laptop ever got stolen, they'd need it.

I thought LoJack was only for cars? That's not cheap. I know it's not free, but it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks. I see the $39.99 deal isn't too bad. Is that a yearly deal or a monthly deal? I wouldn't mind hopping on a bus to get that at Office Max, but before I do, I'd like to know a little more about it.
If you want to know more just navigate the website.

It's $39/year. You don't need to hop a bus; buy it online.

If you want to know more just navigate the website.

It's $39/year. You don't need to hop a bus; buy it online.

With a debit card? Don't think so. I'll use cash, and plus, I mistrust using a debit card for on-line shopping, as it's too easy to steal personal info that way.

I was thankful I didn't use cash at this time.

I had a problem with my returns at JCPenny's. I returned something there and they said they would put it back on my credit card.

Few days later it doesn't show up. I go back to the store and speak to the manager. After an hour of them figuring it out, they said they were sorry and it would appear on my credit soon.

Few days later, nothing. I call them. They said they don't see my return and that they would have to look into their records and get back to me. They never did.

I spent 4 hours with them in person, plus few phone calls. Finally a friend tells me just to dispute it with my credit card. Duh! I forgot that option. Did that and problem solved.

Soooo glad I didn't use cash, I would had more problems than I already had. It does pay to use credit card in case you run into problems.

I'd probably stay away from Geek Squad from Best Buy, they're rip off.

If you only use laptop for simple things like web, email and messenger, then cheaper one will do the job.

Gamers, graphic designer, server, and other workloads needs higher performance computer which costs a lot more.

Choose which works best for you, my last Windows OS was an XP before I switched to Mac. I'm happy with the Mac ever since... to each it's own for everyone.

I'd probably stay away from Geek Squad from Best Buy, they're rip off.

If you only use laptop for simple things like web, email and messenger, then cheaper one will do the job.

Gamers, graphic designer, server, and other workloads needs higher performance computer which costs a lot more.

Choose which works best for you, my last Windows OS was an XP before I switched to Mac. I'm happy with the Mac ever since... to each it's own for everyone.

I'm actually looking for a laptop with a webcam, and these two that I posted about have that option, and both are priced under $300, which is easy to save for. As for Best Buy, I do not ever intend to buy a laptop there-- I like Walmart better, and I may end up getting the HP laptop, because of its large size-- it's nearly 16 inches long, and it's perfect for home. If I am able to get that, then I could make this one my travel laptop, or use this for home, and make the new one my travel laptop, but like Reba said, the larger one is tempting for thieves, so it's probably better to use the smaller one.

I'm actually looking for a laptop with a webcam, and these two that I posted about have that option, and both are priced under $300, which is easy to save for. As for Best Buy, I do not ever intend to buy a laptop there-- I like Walmart better, and I may end up getting the HP laptop, because of its large size-- it's nearly 16 inches long, and it's perfect for home. If I am able to get that, then I could make this one my travel laptop, or use this for home, and make the new one my travel laptop, but like Reba said, the larger one is tempting for thieves, so it's probably better to use the smaller one.

In the bolded part, it doesn't matter how big or small the laptop can be it will still get stolen. iPads and tablets get stolen and it's not as big as laptops.

Just to clarify, I didn't say larger ones are more tempting; it's the more valuable popular models that are more tempting.

Just to clarify, I didn't say larger ones are more tempting; it's the more valuable popular models that are more tempting.

Like an HP vs. a Gateway? Something like that? Gateway laptops aren't exactly valuable, but this one has a gold mine of info, which MAKES it valuable. It's the info inside the laptop that makes it valuable. The laptop I have my eyes on is an HP laptop, and it is BIG. It's also very fancy, as well.

Back