Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

warpedpink

Reaction score
What are some of the annoying things hearing people say to you? Classic examples include "i'll pray for you" (to get your hearing back), *over enunciating* "can you read my lips?"

A while ago, I was visiting my parents and the three of us went to this little bakery. I wandered off and browsed the pastries. My dad came up and told this worker who was talking to my back that I was Deaf... Her response? "OHH how CUUUUUUUUTE!!" like I was a puppy. :roll: lol

My friends and I are playing a drinking game and swapping stories and I'm fresh out because I don't hang with hearing people almost ever soooo.. help me out!

I can so totally relate to every single thing you posted just now.

I totally hate the "I'll pray for you" -- I've had that numerous times. Pray for what? Nothing's wrong with me, ma'am or sir!

Wirelessly posted

"You didn't pay enough attention nor listened carefully to what I said"

"can you read my lips" showing the other sets of your lips LOL

or say, I felt like a cute puppy now, can i LICK your hands?? do you want to enjoy licking hands? Im gay, and I like women , wanna join me?"
LOL
watch her responses (or the future "How cute: morons

"How do they let you drive on site? Won't you get run over by heavy haulers if you can't hear them coming until it's too late?"

Honestly if you can't see a truck larger than a house then you have a problem.

hearing ppl stories

WOW, I know this comment will not be popular, but that's never stopped me from saying anything I feel before so...I really do understand your obvious anger with the people each of you mentioned, and all the others who just do not understand deafness. But that's my point, it may be annoying and some may say or do ignorant things, but don't you understand "they, the hearing" just don't get it, and probably never will unless they themselves experience deafness. Each of you have every right to be angered by the things you've had to endure by those who really just can not understand and probably never will. My problem is that instead of behaving like them, ignore them, refuse to do business with them, or just make a statement like, "so sorry if me deafness inconveniences you".

See I know for a fact, that most hearing people will never understand our world. Unless they choose to educate themselves (doubtful), or they or someone close to them becomes deaf. I just don't see anything positive coming out of behaving the same way they are, rude or ignorant. When I was hearing I made the same stupid mistakes most hearing do, I will admit it.
I just really had NO idea what it was like. Then overnight I became profoundly deaf, can't even hear my own voice. My own family who loves me,
didn't know what to say or how to approach me..they had to be taught as I had to learn...I really wish the deaf would take the "higher road" and not resort to the same ignorant type statements, the hearing make to us. It achieves nothing but furthering the anger and misunderstanding. My brother, who I love dearly went to the library and got a sheet on finger spelling and learned to finger spell with both hands..lol..he's amazing. My point being when I came home from the hospital after 2 weeks of testing, and the answer of "well we really do not know why you are deaf" My brother sat with me and taught me to finger spell. He said he saw the terror in my eyes sitting in the hospital bed, crying and screaming (I had no idea how loudly I was talking).
He decided he and I would learn the simplest way to communicate with out writing. I am Blessed to have him. But you see, he chose to educate himself so that we could communicate. Every hearing person in the would should know simple finger spelling. Kids learn it in a few days.
So, I apologize if I have offended any of you, but please, understand the hearing, for the most part do not have a clue to what we are experiencing. Is that their fault for saying these totally ridiculous things...I don't think it is.

I take responsibility for educating those around me, and if they do not want to take the time to learn 26 letters in hand movements..then OK we are going to lose each other or write everything..I just do not think it is fair to
rage on a hearing person who YES, says and does inapropriate or riduculous things because they just can not understand what our lives are like unless they themselves become HOH or deaf. Peace to you all, I do not expect you to agree, but those are my true feelings. Just because I am deaf does not mean I am going to act and/or react with anyless grace or dignity then I had when I was hearing. I myself am still working on Tolerance, but I'm getting there...Midnight♥♥♥♥ (with a little love we can change the world)

I once moved out of the way so an old man could pass me by (walking the opposite direction at the mall). He then turned around and enuciated very slowly... "Thank... you... ve... ry... much...". He saw me signing, assumed I was deaf, and thought that talking very slowly would make me understand him.

I appreciate his trying to be understanding of my deafness, but that is a bit of overkill. ;)

"Never mind, I will tell you later." Only not to get told what was funny later.

"Never mind, I will tell you later." Only not to get told what was funny later.

That reminds me. A couple days ago I helped a friend who hired me to dig a ditch to expose a broken sewer pipe outside a house. It took me three hours but I got the job done, and I asked him exactly what his plans were in finishing the project. He said, "Never mind, I will tell you later. You can go home now and I will call you when it's ready to be refilled." A few hours later, I got the call, and he told me to fill in the hole, which I did (as well as making it look nice as a finished project). He then asked me to help him clear the cleanout pipe with a motorized snake. To make a long story short, it was FUBAR. The pipe underneath was hopelessly clogged, and he told me we would need to redig the hole and use the snake from the bottom of the hole after we cut off a pipe section to allow entry. Needless to say, to me it was a no-brainer: you clear the pipe BEFORE you bury the whole darn thing. I was diplomatic enough not to rib him over his huge goof. Poor sap, he paid me $80 for 4 hours work and will wind up paying even more. Oh well.

Apologizing and giving me the "funeral face."

Wirelessly posted

neomayja said:
"How do they let you drive on site? Won't you get run over by heavy haulers if you can't hear them coming until it's too late?"

Honestly if you can't see a truck larger than a house then you have a problem.

Do you work in a quarry or on a construction site? Just wondering cause I operate a large rock truck from time to time. Now I just drive a water pull

Wirelessly posted

Do you work in a quarry or on a construction site? Just wondering cause I operate a large rock truck from time to time. Now I just drive a water pull

oilsands, with the 797's and similar. Some of the worlds largest trucks :D

... My own family who loves me,
didn't know what to say or how to approach me..they had to be taught as I had to learn...I really wish the deaf would take the "higher road" and not resort to the same ignorant type statements, the hearing make to us. It achieves nothing but furthering the anger and misunderstanding. My brother, who I love dearly went to the library and got a sheet on finger spelling and learned to finger spell with both hands..lol..he's amazing. My point being when I came home from the hospital after 2 weeks of testing, and the answer of "well we really do not know why you are deaf" My brother sat with me and taught me to finger spell. He said he saw the terror in my eyes sitting in the hospital bed, crying and screaming (I had no idea how loudly I was talking).
He decided he and I would learn the simplest way to communicate with out writing. I am Blessed to have him. But you see, he chose to educate himself so that we could communicate. (with a little love we can change the world)

I loved your whole post, but especially love what you said about your brother. Having a sibling like that is SUCH a blessing! You two are fortunate to have each other.

My biggest peeve is when I ask someone to repeat themselves. They will say "Nevermind" "It's Nothing" or "It wasn't important" I did not ask if it was important, I just simply asked them to repeat themselves.

Back