Hearing Loss Buttons

Nancy

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum to post under but I was wondering if you all, if possible, would wear a button on your shirt that says "I am deaf" or "I am hard of hearing...please speak up"??
Did you know that ADCO Hearing Products sells these?? Go to this link, scroll ALL THE WAY DOWN, and view the buttons they offer.
Would you buy these? Why or why not? :)

P.S. I am not buying these but I am buying one of their low cost hearing aid dehumifiers (you can check them out here too). :) I don't want my aids to tear up! :)

Anyway, here it is again: ADCO Hearing Products -- just scroll down to see the buttons

Nah, they are UGLY!!!!! Maybe if they were cool looking like "hard of hearing pride" or whatever

I have seen an couple old people wearing buttons that say "I have vision problems" , etc, but I couldnt ever see anyone wearing one for a hearing loss....

:Rolleyes:

I remembered back in highschool, some kids do work off-campus for work incentive, especially for "special needs" kids (that includes us, the Deaf, another stupid discrimination to break down) and one of the deaf students worked at In-N-OUt... and he had this stupid hat that said: "I AM DEAF" in block letters. It was embarassing. It is like standing wtiha billboard sign on your chest: "I AM AN IDIOT!!". We asked him if he worked at the cashier, he said, no; then why does he need the frigging hat to clean the frigging clean? NOBODY is going to bother him while he mops the floor!!! The fact he had this stupid hat, people avoided him and generalized all Deaf to be floor-moppers who need people to be warned about them....

You don't see a worker saying: "I AM GAY" so people can avoid him/her, so what's up???? Interaction is not enough for hearies even we signed, even we wrote to them, even gestured t them that we cannot understand them, they still want us to wear a drigging button--

THAT IS IT-- It is just like the Jews during Holocaust wearing the Star of David on their clothes.
THAT IS HOW LOW I feel the "I AM DEAF" button is.

damn right i would... im not scared of what people think... i would rather someone see the badge instead of looking at me after i tell them

i wouldnt wear perhaps these on the websise... but if i found one i liked... i would wear it

ive said it in other threads, im not scared of what people think, and i dont make a point to hide my hearing aids,they are a part of me take it or leave it

gnarlydorkette said:
...THAT IS IT-- It is just like the Jews during Holocaust wearing the Star of David on their clothes.
THAT IS HOW LOW I feel the "I AM DEAF" button is.
I think the difference is, the Jews were forced by the government to wear the yellow stars. The "Deaf" buttons are totally voluntary.

What happened to the "Deaf Pride" movement?

What happened to the "Deaf Pride" movement?
There's a difference in wearing a Deaf Pride/Power button, and wearing THOSE ugly buttons....I might wear a button if they looked cool or something....hmmmm.....maybe that's an idear to get extra money or something!

deafdyke said:
There's a difference in wearing a Deaf Pride/Power button, and wearing THOSE ugly buttons....I might wear a button if they looked cool or something....hmmmm.....maybe that's an idear to get extra money or something!

Thank you deafdyke.

But maybe you(Reba) didn't notice that I did include an example of my friend-- he was required to wear the "I AM DEAF" hat at In-N-Out. REQUIRED. He was displeased with it because he felt it was embarassing and unecessary. (And the irony thing: at another In-n-OUt, there was a deaf worker who DIDN'T wear a "I AM DEAF" hat...!)

I wouldn't wear a button that says "I am hearing-imparied, please look at me when speaking."

I would put a button that got the sign of "ILY" or "DPN '88" or just manual letters "D-E-A-F P-R-I-D-E" on my tote bag or something, but I think by communicating with ASL is sufficient for people to recongize me as a Deaf person.
(Have you notice that the Hearies have fused the "ASL" into a verb? A patron of a bookstore told the employee who was trying to talk to my husband behind his back that he only "sign-language" and the employee understood and walked up front and told both of us what she wanted to tell my husband.)

Nancy was asking Deaf people's opinions, and I stated mine as an opinion of a Deaf generation after the DPN.

I was only 2 years old when DPN occurs-- I grew up as a child that EXPECTS equality regardless my Deafness. I am normal (well I certainly hope so!). I didn't expect to fight for my rights today because of my "disability" known as Deafness. I may be spoiled for wanting the just world with Deaf rights and everything-- but am I wrong to expect that people have grown up in last two or three decades in regards to Deaf Awareness? Com'on, what, was everybody living out as hermits?!

gnarlydorkette said:
But maybe you(Reba) didn't notice that I did include an example of my friend-- he was required to wear the "I AM DEAF" hat at In-N-Out. REQUIRED...
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was comparing just the yellow stars and the Deaf pins, not the hat.

My question about "Deaf Pride" was a separate topic question. I should have made a separate post for it. Sorry about that.

Nancy was asking Deaf people's opinions, and I stated mine as an opinion of a Deaf generation after the DPN.
You are right, I should butt out. Again, I am sorry. :Oops: I am bowing out now.

DPN = Gallaudet's Deaf President Now?

I was 18 and already graduated from high school in 1988 when that happened! :) I remember seeing that on TV. :)

I don't know if this is the right forum to post under but I was wondering if you all, if possible, would wear a button on your shirt that says "I am deaf" or "I am hard of hearing...please speak up"??
Did you know that ADCO Hearing Products sells these?? Go to this link, scroll ALL THE WAY DOWN, and view the buttons they offer.
Would you buy these? Why or why not? :)

P.S. I am not buying these but I am buying one of their low cost hearing aid dehumifiers (you can check them out here too). :) I don't want my aids to tear up! :)

Anyway, here it is again: ADCO Hearing Products -- just scroll down to see the buttons

Yes, as a matter of fact I am checking out the site now. I work in retail, people never read my "please face me button" and I need something new that states it outright I guess. One woman I could not understand her responses, I asked her to shake her head yes or know she looked at me as if I was ignorant. When I told her I am extremely HOH and the hearing aids just amplify the noise around me, she apologized profusely...

Has the interaction of deaf/Deaf/DEAF persons changed that much since 2005?

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Has the interaction of deaf/Deaf/DEAF persons changed that much since 2005?

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Hi all

Well i did not know about these buttons. :ty: I am in Australia.

I have my own badges that say "Hard of Hearing " all they are is name badges with those words on them. I just told the badge people what i wanted on them. I ask my friends if i should put Deaf on them but they said HOH.

The magnetic back one is great as it does not ruin your good clothes. I have several badges as if i miss place one i can find another.

I wear them mainly in group settings, on airflights, tours, and recently on a cruise.

If you want a pic of them i can supply. Just send me a reply. :wave:

Back