Redifining D-E-A-F by Ryan Commerson

the video is well done, i like it,
however nearly towards the end of the film, Ryan said;

You could take advantage of the internet
and build a media empire from it.

The possibilities are infinite.

It's a really exciting time now. But the
window of opportunity is slowly closing.

I cant help but wonder what he really meant, even if I'm not completely sure of what is he refering to except the oppurtunity to seize the control of information about d/Deaf people...even at that I disagree but internet is soooo Loose...(there is no way we can control audists, individual "ownership" of "d/Deaf experiences" as recorded in blogs, vblogs, etc and there are many 'identifible shared experiences' that puts d/Deaf people into clumps representing somewhat fragmented intra-political interest/affliation of groups. This is apparent right here in AD, such as Pro-sign, Pro-ASL, Pro-CI and whatever hell there is...)
and i wonder where exactly it is - what is slowly closing?...is it due to the way society structure changing? or the way the media is used by people changing? how does this window of oppurtunity begins to fade as Ryan claims? indeed if we had more access to 'texts' indeed more oppurtunity sprouts as more people are producing their own work? buying professional-grade publishing equipments at home-entertainment price..lots of potential..how does 'control' continue to clamp down our 'alternative views of life'...
This was an interesting comment that he made, I am just intrigued

Last edited:
There already is so much about D/deaf on the Internet. Just look up Deaf Vlog on YouTube and see all the stuff you'll come across.

There already is so much about D/deaf on the Internet. Just look up Deaf Vlog on YouTube and see all the stuff you'll come across.

Yeah, but how much of it is actually on the movie screens or the television sets? Not everyone want to read blogs, or even understand the video blogs. It takes a truly talented person to reach to the hearing world. He's saying we should capitalize on that while ASL is being worshipped among the younger generations.

Yeah, but how much of it is actually on the movie screens or the television sets? Not everyone want to read blogs, or even understand the video blogs. It takes a truly talented person to reach to the hearing world. He's saying we should capitalize on that while ASL is being worshipped among the younger generations.

Good point. I think in terms of television, the only Deaf actor who has really made a dent is Marlee Matlin. Children of a Lesser God, Reasonable Doubts, The L Word, Dancing with the Stars, etc. And she has shown up here and there in other shows like Desperate Housewives and Seinfeld. Other than that, there's not much Deaf visibility.

I think a lot more people would be willing to watch Deaf Vlogs if there were captions or voice over on them. The second people see a language they don't understand (ASL or whatever other sign language) they click away. But if the person makes an effort to add CC for oral deaf/voiceover for hearing, then non-signers would also be interested in following their vlogs.

yeah but it was so well crafted to instill 'comformity' mentality (typical of hollywood) using docile 'ideal' hearised but signing 'deaf' to dup hearing publics into assuming deaf people understands totally of what the hearing world is like, and are perfect lipreaders, only good deafs are rich, literate, young, tall, blonde, well-dressed, unoffensive, 'quick witted' doesnt this sum up that portrayal which Marlee Marlin capitalised on?

yeah but it was so well crafted to instill 'comformity' mentality (typical of hollywood) using docile 'ideal' hearised but signing 'deaf' to dup hearing publics into assuming deaf people understands totally of what the hearing world is like, and are perfect lipreaders, only good deafs are rich, literate, young, tall, blonde, well-dressed, unoffensive, 'quick witted' doesnt this sum up that portrayal which Marlee Marlin capitalised on?

I think she puts a lot of effort into being the best at everything to prove to people that Deaf can. Unfortunately this happens with people with all disabilities. Everyone loves Ray Charles and Marlee Matlin, but no one cares about the average deaf or blind person, etc. At least she has brought some awareness to Deaf culture, though. We have to give her that much.

I think she puts a lot of effort into being the best at everything to prove to people that Deaf can. Unfortunately this happens with people with all disabilities. Everyone loves Ray Charles and Marlee Matlin, but no one cares about the average deaf or blind person, etc. At least she has brought some awareness to Deaf culture, though. We have to give her that much.

raycharles still only was good to give the crowd, not because he was blind but his music, in same vain marlee was taught well how to act (wonder who did, dont fobb me off that she taught herself! no way on earth what , the way she acted is professional scale no bones about it) basically the way she acted appealed to the crowd (principally the hearing masses/producers) then so the rest of the media users followed suit because they dont know better (because on the receiving end, after all they dont have the skills to judge acting, only as consumers) Im not entirely sure about 'if she done anything for Deaf culture lol, 'that is highly debatable' i wont want to argue on and on and on, because frankly i dont really care except that i plainly refuse to be sucked in thinking she represents the reality of Deaf people - she /producers of tv/films isnt even close, it is like i said before well orchestrated , well crafted, carefully selected,, made seemless enchancing the realism. authenticality, and indeed it is no chance for ANY media to be completely independent of ideological assumptions, Period!

raycharles still only was good to give the crowd, not because he was blind but his music, in same vain marlee was taught well how to act (wonder who did, dont fobb me off that she taught herself! no way on earth what , the way she acted is professional scale no bones about it) basically the way she acted appealed to the crowd (principally the hearing masses/producers) then so the rest of the media users followed suit because they dont know better (because on the receiving end, after all they dont have the skills to judge acting, only as consumers) Im not entirely sure about 'if she done anything for Deaf culture lol, 'that is highly debatable' i wont want to argue on and on and on, because frankly i dont really care except that i plainly refuse to be sucked in thinking she represents the reality of Deaf people - she /producers of tv/films isnt even close, it is like i said before well orchestrated , well crafted, carefully selected,, made seemless enchancing the realism. authenticality, and indeed it is no chance for ANY media to be completely independent of ideological assumptions, Period!

That is why Ray Charles and Marlee Matlin are considered "amazing." Because people like their music and acting. But it also puts pressure on so many blind and deaf people to be like the next Ray or the next Marlee. Which of course, the vast majority of us aren't. I can't tell you how many times people try to compare me to Helen Keller. Yes she was deafblind and yes I am too, but I'm not Helen Keller.

I absolutely do not think that Marlee Matlin represents the reality of Deaf people. But I do think she brings awareness to Deaf culture. Even if it starts out with "Why does her voice sound so weird?" people look up her biography and then look up deafness and ASL, etc.

That is why Ray Charles and Marlee Matlin are considered "amazing." Because people like their music and acting. But it also puts pressure on so many blind and deaf people to be like the next Ray or the next Marlee. Which of course, the vast majority of us aren't. I can't tell you how many times people try to compare me to Helen Keller. Yes she was deafblind and yes I am too, but I'm not Helen Keller.

I absolutely do not think that Marlee Matlin represents the reality of Deaf people. But I do think she brings awareness to Deaf culture. Even if it starts out with "Why does her voice sound so weird?" people look up her biography and then look up deafness and ASL, etc.

* me grumbles about The Miracle Worker *

Sorry, I got a big problem with how people view Helen Keller. Nothing's wrong with the woman, just who she is associated with in people's eyes. Ann Sullivan and all...

Anyway, the thing with media discourses is that they will always create stereotypes. It is up to us to offset the stereotypes of those before us, and it is up to the future generation to offset the stereotypes that we left behind.

So, "perfect lipreaders?" Bring them on, as long people think deaf people are employable and don't view ASL as a bad thing.

yup, OK, its stereotypes, and quite often blind people ARE good on pianos, not sure why (hell i mean the keys, i suppose sharper spatial senses and keener use of their ears for notes may be the reason... but still its shows how ordinary people can become extraordinary because of extraordinary demands puts on people, again though as you said, not all of us can be 'talented' like that, just as does not all sighted people are amazing piano players, only some, and then comes along blind people... stereotypes somehow crops up, in same vain, deaf people having 'sharper' sense of body language which can be argued for better acting - debatable-. coming back to marlee, she knows the hearing world as she is more a Hoh type personality so she was able to 'act' with a hearing person's behavioural quirks - mimicking so well- that a 'mistakened' take shes a great actorm went to her favour, that she is indeed GOOD at keeping her figgling, inappropriate leaning over, cross arms, (except when deliberate) makes her seen as a better actor!
it is a interesting topic this one, CJB, i enjoy your comments :)

* me grumbles about The Miracle Worker *

Sorry, I got a big problem with how people view Helen Keller. Nothing's wrong with the woman, just who she is associated with in people's eyes. Ann Sullivan and all...

Anyway, the thing with media discourses is that they will always create stereotypes.

media is in the business of creating illusions, people are sucked into this, needing reassurance deaf or blind (or both) are seen as 'beautifully extraordinary' but they are good for nothing else, this is something needs serious attention, they 'except for' bullshit has to go....this could be discussed into another thread for ideas perhaps and/or exchanging creative ideas /blogs is another, great point souggy

So, "perfect lipreaders?" Bring them on, as long people think deaf people are employable and don't view ASL as a bad thing.

Right! but how can we improve this?

souggy I ask just cause I'm curious. I don't have a formed opinion. Why do you take issue with Ann Sullivan?

souggy I ask just cause I'm curious. I don't have a formed opinion. Why do you take issue with Ann Sullivan?

There's a notion among the people I interact with that the only reason why Helen Keller is so successful is because of Ann Sullivan's works and that Sullivan "saved" Helen Keller. As a result, there is this backward thinking that the deafblind can't function without hearing people guiding them throughout all their life.

To be honest, it is the other way around-- without Keller's success story, Sullivan would not be famous at all. It doesn't really help that Sullivan deliberately try to sabotage Keller-- her marriage is one that come to mind, throughout the rest of her life so that Keller would be "dependent" on Sullivan. A good teacher, no matter how skilled they are, should recognize when it is time to let go of their pupils. Sullivan never did.

Notice that The Miracle Worker, which is the only manuscript that general public is familiar concerning Helen Keller, is centric around Ann Sullivan?

Oh wow souggy, I really hadn't thought about that before. But now that I am thinking back to when we studied The Miracle Worker in school, you're absolutely right. It is totally Annie Sullivan-centric. And it's true that deafblind children need to be taught many things that sighted or hearing children pick up, but they aren't totally dependent on the sighted/hearing.

Excellent point.

What about Laura Bridgman? No one ever hears about her but she was deafblind and and got an education a good 50 years before Helen Keller even came into the picture.

Yes, so you can see how it all tie in back to "Re-defining DEAF?" The Deafblind benefited from knowing that they will be okay and that is possible to have a life based on Helen Keller's success story. However at the same time, it opens up another can of worms.

CJB said:
What about Laura Bridgman? No one ever hears about her but she was deafblind and and got an education a good 50 years before Helen Keller even came into the picture.

Would love to answer the latter, however I am going to keep this thread on-topic since it centric around how the media influences society's perspective on Deaf (and is now extended to the Deafblind.) Maybe start up a separate thread?

There's a notion among the people I interact with that the only reason why Helen Keller is so successful is because of Ann Sullivan's works and that Sullivan "saved" Helen Keller. As a result, there is this backward thinking that the deafblind can't function without hearing people guiding them throughout all their life.

To be honest, it is the other way around-- without Keller's success story, Sullivan would not be famous at all. It doesn't really help that Sullivan deliberately try to sabotage Keller-- her marriage is one that come to mind, throughout the rest of her life so that Keller would be "dependent" on Sullivan. A good teacher, no matter how skilled they are, should recognize when it is time to let go of their pupils. Sullivan never did.

Notice that The Miracle Worker, which is the only manuscript that general public is familiar concerning Helen Keller, is centric around Ann Sullivan?

Interesting point of view but I wonder if back in those days, there was a belief that people like Helen Keller couldn't be independent. Today, most people know that it is possible but I dont know about the 19th century?

Interesting point of view but I wonder if back in those days, there was a belief that people like Helen Keller couldn't be independent. Today, most people know that it is possible but I dont know about the 19th century?

Really? :wave: Where are these people? Can I meet them?

Okay, sorry for the sarcasm. But I really would like to meet some more people that actually know that deafblind people are capable too. The vast majority of people I come across don't think the deafblind can do anything.

I know this was meant for Souggy, but the thing is Ann Sullivan wasn't the first person to make contact with Helen Keller, and it's often assumed that she was.

Before Ann Sullivan came on the scene Helen Keller used sign language with the daughter of one of the servants. They could communicate together but nobody even bothered to find out much about the little black girl who was there before Ann Sullivan was.

If the girl hadn't been there to start Helen communicating, then Ann might probably never have reached Helen. Since with deafblind kids it's vitally important to start communication as soon as possible.

Back