Is Windex good for cleaning eyeglasses?

yesterday, i saw one of my fellow workers use windex to clean his eyeglasses and i felt like :eek3:. Wtf!

Is it good for cleaning eyeglasses? I always use water to clean my eyeglasses.

no!

I don't use water since it turned the nose pieces green. I use the eyeglass cleaner and the soft cloth I got when I bought my eyeglasses. No more green nose pieces ever!

I don't use water since it turned the nose pieces green. I use the eyeglass cleaner and the soft cloth I got when I bought my eyeglasses. No more green nose pieces ever!

eeeeewwww I know what you mean. For me - I clean it with either rubbing alcohol or hydrochloric acid.

That's cheap metal they are using. If you buy it from a store like Walmart, it'll definitely turn green. I bought mine from Costco a couple years ago and they are still shiny silver to this day.

you may use some alternative good glasses cleaners

Here I found a good list of glasses cleaner that we may use. All of them can be found on amazon. I am using glasses spray. it is quite good and I like it. :P

I don't use Windex on my prescription glasses. They are plastic lenses that have a "no-glare" coating, and they are Transitions, so I use the optical glass cleaner with a clean cotton cloth.

The non-prescription plastic "cheap-o" reading glasses that I use (different styles for different uses) I can clean with eyeglass cleaner or hot water, and a clean cloth.

On my sunglasses that I wear for lawn care and gardening, I usually rinse them well with tap water before using glass cleaner and cloth. Otherwise, because of dirt on the lenses, they might get scratched.

My bifocal sunglasses that I wear at the beach (and swimming) are plastic, non-prescription, that I wear with Croakies. I rinse them off real good with tap water to remove the salt and sand.

whoa. old thread. well windex is not good for cleaning glasses. it will remove the coating and it isn't good to have your eyes closed to glasses with the chemical in windex.

just give it a spit or fog it up and wipe it with your shirt :lol:

Wirelessly posted

Windex contains ammonia, which is very slightly acidic and can dissolve alkali metals, which is what your eyeglass lens coatings are made out of. Although this is very mild, over time it might have a dulling affect. So, the short answer is no, it's not a good way to clean them.

The best methods for cleaning eyeglasses is to use an eyeglass lens cleaner, which contains distilled water and Isopropanol Alcohol used with a lint free microfiber cloth. Alternatively, you can make your own eyeglass cleaner but mixing distilled water bought at your grocery store) and Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol (bought at your grocery or drugstore) - mix no more than 15% Isopropyl Alcohol to water - that's no more than 1 part alcohol per 10 parts water. Put it in a small spray bottle and you're set.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who uses just spit and t.p.? I am finicky about my scratch-resistant glasses---not a speck or a smudge or a blot on them, and no scratches either. :lol:

Am I the only one who uses just spit and t.p.? I am finicky about my scratch-resistant glasses---not a speck or a smudge or a blot on them, and no scratches either. :lol:

see my post #28. You ain't alone :)

You mean you really do that? :eek3:

yup! Scout Honor! I don't have spray and I think it's a waste of money :lol:

I fog it up first and use my shirt to wipe it off. Sometimes there's a dried stain like spaghetti sauce so I simply lick my finger to rub it off :lol:

yup! Scout Honor! I don't have spray and I think it's a waste of money :lol:

I fog it up first and use my shirt to wipe it off. Sometimes there's a dried stain like spaghetti sauce so I simply lick my finger to rub it off :lol:
Hmm, you like spaghetti leftovers that much? :giggle:

Back