Theater Audition

I'm performing in February in "The Mousetrap" in Detroit Lakes, north of you. This is the first time I've heard of such a thing. I even have three words to sing, but a lot of the script is focused on me. The ADA for a community organization and production? I think I'll stand by what jillio said, as she, to my knowledge, has the most experience on this thread, so far, to comment. You don't want to get blacklisted and, suppose you want to pursue more acting in the future? Doing this will get you avoided and no casting director will touch you. Best thing to do is learn your lines and be very visual with the other cast members.

Pete, I am insulted that you mentioned Jillio is the most experienced with ADA laws.. what about the deafies that have experiences with dealing with ADA laws.. For example, I dealt with community theatres, and local theatre clubs for school children. Just because Jillio has the most experience with ADA laws, I may have more experiences dealing with the actual discrimination against a deaf theatre member, and getting what a deaf individual needs to have the show succeed.

Libraries are not the same as a community theatre. Librairies receive local and federal funding which places them in the position of having to abide by any other organization that receives federal, local, or state funding. Check Title V. Libraries are funded by taxpayer money. A community theatre is not.

Jillio, I was just making a point.. I was not saying that libraries are nonprofit community, I already knew the libraries receive help from the government, but it is basically nonprofit unless they are profiting from late fees. I was just saying if a nonprofit community doesn’t have the usual accommodations for the disabled; it can create accidents, or deaths. For example, I am currently a ASU student, and I am fighting for reasonable services for my education.. ASU don’t have the means to accompany a disabled individuals, and have caused life threatening problems... for example, that memorial union fire (at ASU), a handicapped individual bounded in the wheelchair was stuck in the basement, and was unable to get out without the firemen’s help. I am just saying if a deaf individual or a deaf patron is in theatres, it should have accommodations that are reasonable for everyone’s safety.

Unfortunately, that would be you.

Jillo, excuse me, there is no need to be “rude” about who knows more on ADA laws.. I have so many experiences with discrimination and ADA laws.. You would be surprised how much a deaf individual receives discrimination everyday.. I allow it slide by most of the time because it is not worth my time and my energy to fight. I have battled many battles regarding ADA laws with education, and yes with LOCAL theatres.. just because the ADA laws exempt specific situations but there are loopholes and ways to modify your needs and have a win win situation for everyone.

That would be useless. First off, the theatre is not covered under ADA law. Secondly, they did not refuse to allow this person to participate, the person chose not to participate. That does not qualify for discrimination in any book.
Jillo, I would suggest you to read everything again, and check your facts before you say this kind of comments.. from what I recall, scribbler86 said she was on the border of quitting or not quitting the theatre production due to lack of accommodations .

Actually, I doubt that contacting the media will do much good either. After all, the OP has chosen not to participate. No story for the media to cover. I stand by my suggestion. Instead of alienating oneself by making demands and threatening lawsuits when one does not have a valid basis to do so, educate the production and casting staff. Any onter way will only result in never being offered a role. Community theatres are very tight knit groups. Once blacklisted, always blacklisted. Act like an ass, and you will be sure to get blacklisted.

How would you know if MEDIA will not care? From my experiences, the media was eager to get the story out there regarding ADA laws.. Media wants the community to have knowledge within their community, and they are not heartless. Like I said, there are loopholes, and ways to get your needs without a lawyer or a judge. No one is threatening a lawsuit yet, we are just discussing how to get facts and materials to back up people’s claims on promises or no promises.. gathering evidence, and figuring out what can happen if you go with plan A or plan B or Plan C.. You get my drift.. Scribbler86 have tried on many different counts to educate the staff and the casting people, if you actually read what she said, she attempted many different methods to educate.. They just don’t want to learn and accommodate her needs.. just because educating people may work but it doesn’t always work in some situations like Scribbler86.

I would not be surprised at all of the amount of discrimination that deaf people experience. You really should get to know the members here, and what their background is, before making such assumptions. One can only assume from you posting here, that you are young and do not understand that discrimination cannot be the basis of a lawsuit if an organization is not subject to the ADA.

Colleges, all colleges, are subject to the ADA. If your college is not providing the type of accommodations that it's disabled students need, I would suggest that your time would be much better spent in actually using the law to get that situation remedied, rather than wasting your time trying to assume what I do and do not know.

I would not be surprised at all of the amount of discrimination that deaf people experience. You really should get to know the members here, and what their background is, before making such assumptions. One can only assume from you posting here, that you are young and do not understand that discrimination cannot be the basis of a lawsuit if an organization is not subject to the ADA.

Colleges, all colleges, are subject to the ADA. If your college is not providing the type of accommodations that it's disabled students need, I would suggest that your time would be much better spent in actually using the law to get that situation remedied, rather than wasting your time trying to assume what I do and do not know.

HAHA- first of all... i am not young... I am a senior at ASU, and am graduating this may, then am going to complete my Masters. If you really know how the legal system works, then you would understand that getting a lawsuit within the court system takes time, and I have obtained legal services for the discrimination and lack of services within my education and it hasn't went to trial yet due to waiting for other legal trials to be completed. Well why would I need to waste my time trying to get know who you are when I know that you are not the most experienced in theater discrimination. I have expereinced so much with discrimination in the theater experience, yet that I feel that everyone should have the EQUAL experience within theater. Just because it is a non profit organization doesn't mean they have the excuses to not give reasonable services to the disabled patrons or cast members. Everyone should have EQUAL access to the Arts. I am not wasting my time on this blog because I am giving MY experiences with the loopholes of the actual ADA laws, and am trying to give feedback on what all options scribbler86 may have regarding its situation with the community theater.

HAHA- first of all... i am not young... I am a senior at ASU, and am graduating this may, then am going to complete my Masters. If you really know how the legal system works, then you would understand that getting a lawsuit within the court system takes time, and I have obtained legal services for the discrimination and lack of services within my education and it hasn't went to trial yet due to waiting for other legal trials to be completed. Well why would I need to waste my time trying to get know who you are when I know that you are not the most experienced in theater discrimination. I have expereinced so much with discrimination in the theater experience, yet that I feel that everyone should have the EQUAL experience within theater. Just because it is a non profit organization doesn't mean they have the excuses to not give reasonable services to the disabled patrons or cast members. Everyone should have EQUAL access to the Arts. I am not wasting my time on this blog because I am giving MY experiences with the loopholes of the actual ADA laws, and am trying to give feedback on what all options scribbler86 may have regarding its situation with the community theater.

A senior at ASU? Yes, then you are young. As far as services at the educational level under the ADA, again you are being presumptuous. I have over 20 years experience in this area. In regard to accommodations for theatre productions: again you are being presumptuous. I have been involved in theatre productions for over 35 years. Just because you feel a situation is unfair does not mean that you have any legal basis for proving such, nor do you have any legal basis for a claim of discrimination. You are confusing non-profit with volunteer. Community theatres are considered to be volunteer organizations. They do not pay, the actors are not members of Equity, they do not receive any Federal or State funding.

When your experience has equaled mine in such matters, you will have a basis for discussion. Until then, you are giving out incorrect information regarding the ADA and its applications. Just because you "think" something is so, doesn't mean that is the way it works in real life. Regarding your accommodations for school...if you are a senior at this ASU, and you have not been provided accommodations for the past 4 or 5 years (however long it has taken you to reach senior status), then you have not been very effective at getting your own situation dealt with. It does not take that long to get accommodations in place, particularly when it is a state university.

Why would you waste your time getting to know me? No reason, except that you would have the opportunity to learn many things that you obviously do not know. And, as you don't know me, you cannot make any judgement regarding the extent of my experience. To do so is presumptuous.

Regarding accommodations for patrons of the theatre, larger, well funded, professional theatres do that. You might want to take alook at this article: http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/60398-chicago-theater-offers-live-captioning.html. However, if you choose to deal with small town community theatres that are composed of non-professional staff, you will not be seeing such services provided. Why? Because A) the funds are not available. and B) they are not legally obligated to do so. Maybe you need to advance beyond the amatuer, volunteer status in your quest for the stage. As long as you are being permitted to participate in these community based, non-professional productions, you are not being discriminated against any more than any other actor who auditions and does not get cast for any number of reasons.Community theatre is not a profession. It is a hobby.

Before this discussion go out of hand on who is the expert… are you hearing or deaf? From your level of writing, I am assuming you are hearing but are somehow integrated in the deaf community.

Just because I am younger than you doesn’t mean I don’t have years of experience with discrimination and injustice. Yes, I struggle with services everyday for my education.. You do not know my education background.. You see, I am deaf, but I grew up in the hearing world. I happen to be lucky that my parents actually cares about me, they decided that I need to be mainstreamed in the public school system among the hearing students and be exposed to the best education I can get. I grew up with the best speech therapists, listening therapists, tutors, and all the other people that wanted me to succeed and beat the statistics of the deaf adults’ not finishing college. My parents wanted me to have equal opportunities in the hearing world and the deaf world, so they taught me speech, listening, and sign language.

They gave me everything that a deaf child needs to succeed in both worlds. I fought against my parents’ wishes and decided to go to California State University- Northridge because I wanted a normal experience in the deaf community that I never had. Ironically this university is supposed to be the best mainstream program for the deaf. This school didn’t give me services, and I couldn’t advance to advanced courses because I had to wait for the other deaf kids to catch up. Finally after almost three years of turmoil at CSUN I decided to transfer to ASU.

At ASU I am finally being challenged on my learning experience, I am actually learning something, and I am actually allowed to advance to difficult courses because I already completed the prerequisites for the advanced courses. However ASU and CSUN didn’t give me accommodations I needed for my classes, so I had to deal with ignorant people. No matter what, I couldn’t get through to the people that work at ASU or CSUN to teach them that accommodations need to be made for individuals according to the ADA but of course is reasonable. Just because I couldn’t get the services I needed, I still succeeded in the classes because I was motivated to finish college and start my career in education.

It takes time to change a system that has been created decades ago, and takes time to change people that became comfortable to the system. It takes a lot of energy and time to fight the system and get the accommodations I need. My parents and I have been fighting the universities ever since I got accepted. You do not understand the process of getting accommodations, and we already have a lawyer, and already submitted a lawsuit against the universities. You would be surprised how long it takes to get accommodations at a state university. The state university already has a policy regarding accommodations, but they do not understand that a disabled individual has different disabilities, and have different needs in order to succeed as a student. You see, the university has a biased knowledge with deaf students. They seem to think deaf students are passive (which is true in many cases of deaf students) and will not realize that they are being discriminated. They also think deaf students will never graduate since their background in education is poor, and that they are “dumb”. I had to fight for many years to get the accommodations that I need to succeed, and to prove to them that I am smarter than most deaf students out there, and that I am an educated deaf individual that cares about its future and wants to be successful.

In my opinion I don’t think I am giving out incorrect information regarding the ADA.. I didn’t give facts.. I just gave my experiences and what I did when I needed accommodations when I did theatre. I just told scribbler86 what I did, and how it helped me.. Yet everyone’s situations regarding theatre is different, and has different outcomes. I strongly believe everyone that is deaf is an expert regarding ADA laws because they all have experienced somewhat discrimination against them. Everyone knows the ADA laws needs to be revised, and that there are so many loopholes in the ADA laws.

The different perspectives regarding discrimination and the ADA are coming from two different perspectives/experiences - one of that who has acted upon as an spectator, seeing other Deaf individuals go through it (or may be involved themselves as a parent, as an educator, as an ally). The other comes from actually experiencing it firsthand, having it thrown into your face and others wait by to see how the person reacts to it. Some react passively, or do not realize they have the right to speak up for themselves. Others, like I do, take matters into their hands and try to find a solution that may help the situation at hand, not necessarily fixing it but certainly to find a way around it to achieve the awaited results. Everyone has different experiences regarding ADA and no one is right or wrong. Every situation is unique.

Again, this was just a reply to Scribber86’s experience with the community theater, I was just giving my experience with my community theater, and how it came out differently. I am not telling scribber86 you need to do this, or whatever, I am just telling her this helped me because it worked in my situation and it may help her situation better later in the future references. No need to treat me like I am stupid, I can read, I know that the community theater is totally non-profit, and is not supported by the government or the federal or whatever you are trying to prove.. You already said that in previous response. There is no need to bash out against me, and argue whom is the expert in this area.

Before this discussion go out of hand on who is the expert… are you hearing or deaf? From your level of writing, I am assuming you are hearing but are somehow integrated in the deaf community.

Just because I am younger than you doesn’t mean I don’t have years of experience with discrimination and injustice. Yes, I struggle with services everyday for my education.. You do not know my education background.. You see, I am deaf, but I grew up in the hearing world. I happen to be lucky that my parents actually cares about me, they decided that I need to be mainstreamed in the public school system among the hearing students and be exposed to the best education I can get. I grew up with the best speech therapists, listening therapists, tutors, and all the other people that wanted me to succeed and beat the statistics of the deaf adults’ not finishing college. My parents wanted me to have equal opportunities in the hearing world and the deaf world, so they taught me speech, listening, and sign language.

They gave me everything that a deaf child needs to succeed in both worlds. I fought against my parents’ wishes and decided to go to California State University- Northridge because I wanted a normal experience in the deaf community that I never had. Ironically this university is supposed to be the best mainstream program for the deaf. This school didn’t give me services, and I couldn’t advance to advanced courses because I had to wait for the other deaf kids to catch up. Finally after almost three years of turmoil at CSUN I decided to transfer to ASU.

At ASU I am finally being challenged on my learning experience, I am actually learning something, and I am actually allowed to advance to difficult courses because I already completed the prerequisites for the advanced courses. However ASU and CSUN didn’t give me accommodations I needed for my classes, so I had to deal with ignorant people. No matter what, I couldn’t get through to the people that work at ASU or CSUN to teach them that accommodations need to be made for individuals according to the ADA but of course is reasonable. Just because I couldn’t get the services I needed, I still succeeded in the classes because I was motivated to finish college and start my career in education.

It takes time to change a system that has been created decades ago, and takes time to change people that became comfortable to the system. It takes a lot of energy and time to fight the system and get the accommodations I need. My parents and I have been fighting the universities ever since I got accepted. You do not understand the process of getting accommodations, and we already have a lawyer, and already submitted a lawsuit against the universities. You would be surprised how long it takes to get accommodations at a state university. The state university already has a policy regarding accommodations, but they do not understand that a disabled individual has different disabilities, and have different needs in order to succeed as a student. You see, the university has a biased knowledge with deaf students. They seem to think deaf students are passive (which is true in many cases of deaf students) and will not realize that they are being discriminated. They also think deaf students will never graduate since their background in education is poor, and that they are “dumb”. I had to fight for many years to get the accommodations that I need to succeed, and to prove to them that I am smarter than most deaf students out there, and that I am an educated deaf individual that cares about its future and wants to be successful.

In my opinion I don’t think I am giving out incorrect information regarding the ADA.. I didn’t give facts.. I just gave my experiences and what I did when I needed accommodations when I did theatre. I just told scribbler86 what I did, and how it helped me.. Yet everyone’s situations regarding theatre is different, and has different outcomes. I strongly believe everyone that is deaf is an expert regarding ADA laws because they all have experienced somewhat discrimination against them. Everyone knows the ADA laws needs to be revised, and that there are so many loopholes in the ADA laws.

The different perspectives regarding discrimination and the ADA are coming from two different perspectives/experiences - one of that who has acted upon as an spectator, seeing other Deaf individuals go through it (or may be involved themselves as a parent, as an educator, as an ally). The other comes from actually experiencing it firsthand, having it thrown into your face and others wait by to see how the person reacts to it. Some react passively, or do not realize they have the right to speak up for themselves. Others, like I do, take matters into their hands and try to find a solution that may help the situation at hand, not necessarily fixing it but certainly to find a way around it to achieve the awaited results. Everyone has different experiences regarding ADA and no one is right or wrong. Every situation is unique.

Again, this was just a reply to Scribber86’s experience with the community theater, I was just giving my experience with my community theater, and how it came out differently. I am not telling scribber86 you need to do this, or whatever, I am just telling her this helped me because it worked in my situation and it may help her situation better later in the future references. No need to treat me like I am stupid, I can read, I know that the community theater is totally non-profit, and is not supported by the government or the federal or whatever you are trying to prove.. You already said that in previous response. There is no need to bash out against me, and argue whom is the expert in this area.

Thanks for the biography.

Re: my not understanding what it takes to get accommodations at the university level, you are once again making an incorrect assumption. Very incorrect.

And, from a professional perspective, I can tell you that no matter what you think, you are giving out incorrect information regarding the ADA.

Again, if a state school is not providing accommodations, the minute that the accommodations you requested were refused, provided that there was no valid reason for refusing said accommodation, you should have filed a complaint with the DOJ and the State Dept. of Ed. Had you done what you needed to, and in fact, are obligated to do, I have no doubt that your situation would have been remedied long before now.

ASU and CSUN have excellent disability services. They are well informed regarding their obligations under the ADA, and both schools have excellent reputations regarding accommodations. Perhaps you are asking for more than necessary accommodations. You say you are learning and advancing to upper level courses. If that is the case, then quite obviously, you have access to the curriculum, and are getting an education.

And perhaps it would do you well to go back and read this entire thread. It will become obvious to you who started with the bashing and the attitude. You have been responded to based on the attitude you demonstrated.

Here is the update regarding the situations. Did some negotitations with the director and offered some ideas/perspectives. I did note their need to join the ASL performance list of offering an interpreted performance so I offered to drop out of the cast but stay on as an interpreter. (In reality, I do more work providing mentoring and evaluations to theater interpreters and I recently helped the 'terp team' for the touring production of Wicked - acting was more of a high school hobby that I wanted to revisit just for the sake of fun. My long term plan is to work with theater interpreters and establish some sort of standards for theatrical interpreting, especially on the touring Broadway show level. (Many experiences with this - from horrible to excellent interpreters, including interpreting FOR the interpreter for the Tony-award winning actress Idina Menzel when she toured to my city - that interpreter forged her certification and was busted by the RID.)

As this is a community theater, I wanted to make sure the Deaf were welcome - and the director agreed on that, hence me offering up as an 'free' interpreter so I can get some perspective on the 'terp side' rather than the 'audience' side which I'm accustomated to. (I'm well-known in the theatrical interpreting community and they encouraged to become a CDI for Broadway shows, so I'm starting low at the community level to build up skill and confidence - and it's "The Sound of Music" - something I've seen on stage 30 times and saw the film version so many times that the captions wore off and I didn't even notice! ; )

As for CSUN having an excellent reputation regarding disability services - I can say from experience that is somewhat not true - I had to leave CSUN as I was not getting the services I needed (transferred to U of M Twin Citites and have had no problems since.) My problem with CSUN is that they use uncertified interpreters that are not ready to interpret for the collegiate level - or they do not show up. I had to retake two classes since they provided interpreters for the first three weeks then they stopped coming - so I lost my confidence in the Deaf services division. I'm not the only one who left CSUN for this reason - many of my classmates, older and younger, left as well. What i noticed from the pattern is that the higher-performing students tend to stay for a year (or less) then transfer to a college with a larger reputation (as for me, from CSUN to U of M) with better (and consistent) services. The lower-performing ones or those who are not aware that they have the right to access to services are the ones who stay (and take longer to graduate). Though I'm grateful for the experience I had at CSUN - it taught me that reputations are misleading and that gems are found right in your own backyard (who would have though that the Twin Cities had better access to theater than NYC regarding the Deaf - six performances versus 50 in a four-month span?)

For Noears' post regarding ASU, I think there's more of a backstory to that that she has not let on, as I know a friend who go there and is experiencing problems with the DRC at ASU not being Deaf-friendly and is trying to solve the problem - only that DRC does not know how to handle Deaf students the right way (providing 'interpreters' that know the ABCs and nothing else does not seem very 'professional' to me, especially at the collegiate level, and for English literature courses?)

Before this goes out of hand, I do think both Jillio and noears have valid points - they are both right in their own experiences, and both have valuable input regarding various situations. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to every situation (this one including and any other situations a Deaf individual may face), and it is up to the person on how to handle it in the best way so both sides benefit from the experience (whether it be a learning experience or not). There is no need for finger-pointing - it is interesting to see different perspectives on how to handle the situation. (for it won't be the first time nor the last time).

Will follow up on the final decision of the director. As for now, it looks like CVFT will join the ranks of providing ASL interpreted performances and I'm glad to be able to lead them into the right direction and provide support/knowledge/insight on working with interpreters and Deaf audiences. Will see how it turns out.

Here is the update regarding the situations. Did some negotitations with the director and offered some ideas/perspectives. I did note their need to join the ASL performance list of offering an interpreted performance so I offered to drop out of the cast but stay on as an interpreter. (In reality, I do more work providing mentoring and evaluations to theater interpreters and I recently helped the 'terp team' for the touring production of Wicked - acting was more of a high school hobby that I wanted to revisit just for the sake of fun. My long term plan is to work with theater interpreters and establish some sort of standards for theatrical interpreting, especially on the touring Broadway show level. (Many experiences with this - from horrible to excellent interpreters, including interpreting FOR the interpreter for the Tony-award winning actress Idina Menzel when she toured to my city - that interpreter forged her certification and was busted by the RID.)

As this is a community theater, I wanted to make sure the Deaf were welcome - and the director agreed on that, hence me offering up as an 'free' interpreter so I can get some perspective on the 'terp side' rather than the 'audience' side which I'm accustomated to. (I'm well-known in the theatrical interpreting community and they encouraged to become a CDI for Broadway shows, so I'm starting low at the community level to build up skill and confidence - and it's "The Sound of Music" - something I've seen on stage 30 times and saw the film version so many times that the captions wore off and I didn't even notice! ; )

As for CSUN having an excellent reputation regarding disability services - I can say from experience that is somewhat not true - I had to leave CSUN as I was not getting the services I needed (transferred to U of M Twin Citites and have had no problems since.) My problem with CSUN is that they use uncertified interpreters that are not ready to interpret for the collegiate level - or they do not show up. I had to retake two classes since they provided interpreters for the first three weeks then they stopped coming - so I lost my confidence in the Deaf services division. I'm not the only one who left CSUN for this reason - many of my classmates, older and younger, left as well. What i noticed from the pattern is that the higher-performing students tend to stay for a year (or less) then transfer to a college with a larger reputation (as for me, from CSUN to U of M) with better (and consistent) services. The lower-performing ones or those who are not aware that they have the right to access to services are the ones who stay (and take longer to graduate). Though I'm grateful for the experience I had at CSUN - it taught me that reputations are misleading and that gems are found right in your own backyard (who would have though that the Twin Cities had better access to theater than NYC regarding the Deaf - six performances versus 50 in a four-month span?)

For Noears' post regarding ASU, I think there's more of a backstory to that that she has not let on, as I know a friend who go there and is experiencing problems with the DRC at ASU not being Deaf-friendly and is trying to solve the problem - only that DRC does not know how to handle Deaf students the right way (providing 'interpreters' that know the ABCs and nothing else does not seem very 'professional' to me, especially at the collegiate level, and for English literature courses?)

Before this goes out of hand, I do think both Jillio and noears have valid points - they are both right in their own experiences, and both have valuable input regarding various situations. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to every situation (this one including and any other situations a Deaf individual may face), and it is up to the person on how to handle it in the best way so both sides benefit from the experience (whether it be a learning experience or not). There is no need for finger-pointing - it is interesting to see different perspectives on how to handle the situation. (for it won't be the first time nor the last time).

Will follow up on the final decision of the director. As for now, it looks like CVFT will join the ranks of providing ASL interpreted performances and I'm glad to be able to lead them into the right direction and provide support/knowledge/insight on working with interpreters and Deaf audiences. Will see how it turns out.

There you go. You have found your solution in offering your services as an interpreter to the theatre for free.

I'd be careful, however, classifying the deaf graduates of CSUN as "lower performing." That comment comes across as projecting an attitude of superiority and prejudice.

There you go. You have found your solution in offering your services as an interpreter to the theatre for free.

I'd be careful, however, classifying the deaf graduates of CSUN as "lower performing." That comment comes across as projecting an attitude of superiority and prejudice.

And it reeks of elitism.

I'm performing in February in "The Mousetrap" in Detroit Lakes, north of you. This is the first time I've heard of such a thing. I even have three words to sing, but a lot of the script is focused on me. The ADA for a community organization and production? I think I'll stand by what jillio said, as she, to my knowledge, has the most experience on this thread, so far, to comment. You don't want to get blacklisted and, suppose you want to pursue more acting in the future? Doing this will get you avoided and no casting director will touch you. Best thing to do is learn your lines and be very visual with the other cast members.

Pete, I am insulted that you mentioned Jillio is the most experienced with ADA laws.. what about the deafies that have experiences with dealing with ADA laws.. For example, I dealt with community theatres, and local theatre clubs for school children. Just because Jillio has the most experience with ADA laws, I may have more experiences dealing with the actual discrimination against a deaf theatre member, and getting what a deaf individual needs to have the show succeed. . . .

noears,

You just joined last month and have four posts and jillio has just under 22,000 so who do you think the vast majority of us on ad will believe? When you get more posts and/or back up your qualifications, then we'll be interested. In the meantime, you shouldn't be insulted, as I wrote what I did before you came on the website. Live and learn.

By the way, do you know why I said that about jillio?

Actually, I doubt that contacting the media will do much good either. After all, the OP has chosen not to participate. No story for the media to cover. I stand by my suggestion. Instead of alienating oneself by making demands and threatening lawsuits when one does not have a valid basis to do so, educate the production and casting staff. Any onter way will only result in never being offered a role. Community theatres are very tight knit groups. Once blacklisted, always blacklisted. Act like an ass, and you will be sure to get blacklisted.

So what? Fight the powers, fight the theatre community. Everything (all businesses, all groups, etc) are under the ADA, the exception are the federal government, Indian tribes, private county club, religion (except when they ran day cares) and others are excepted (not excerpted) from the ADA. see ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act and DisabilityInfo.gov: Disability related information and resources from the Federal Government Jillio, you need to provide cases, evidences, cites, law review articles from Current Law Index, Legaltract. Just because you posted more than other on alldeaf doesn't mean you're the premiere deaf resident expert...

So what? Fight the powers, fight the theatre community. Everything (all businesses, all groups, etc) are under the ADA, the exception are the federal government, Indian tribes, private county club, religion (except when they ran day cares) and others are excepted (not excerpted) from the ADA. see ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act and DisabilityInfo.gov: Disability related information and resources from the Federal Government Jillio, you need to provide cases, evidences, cites, law review articles from Current Law Index, Legaltract. Just because you posted more than other on alldeaf doesn't mean you're the premiere deaf resident expert...

Posting is not what makes me an expert, DURAY. Experience, education, and my profession does.:cool2: Obviously, you are ill informed as the poster to whom I was replying. You are sadly very, very incorrect when you state that "everything is under the ADA." That statement is false as false can be. Perhaps you should take the time to actually read the ADA document and how it applies. Community theatres are not covered under the ADA, nor are many employers, non-profit groups such as AA support groups, etc. etc etc. I could go on and on, but I'll wait until you have actually educated yourself regarding the ADA before even attempting to discuss the application of the legislation with you.

Posting is not what makes me an expert, DURAY. Experience, education, and my profession does.:cool2: Obviously, you are ill informed as the poster to whom I was replying. You are sadly very, very incorrect when you state that "everything is under the ADA." That statement is false as false can be. Perhaps you should take the time to actually read the ADA document and how it applies. Community theatres are not covered under the ADA, nor are many employers, non-profit groups such as AA support groups, etc. etc etc. I could go on and on, but I'll wait until you have actually educated yourself regarding the ADA before even attempting to discuss the application of the legislation with you.

So there!:lol:

with 21,000+ posting and you work?

see ADA Title III Technical Assistance Manual
Americans with Disabilities Act
ADA Title III Technical Assistance Manual
Covering Public Accommodations and Commercial Facilities

(copy and paste with snips)

Fall within at least one of the following 12 categories:

3) Places of exhibition or entertainment (e.g. , theaters;

III-3.2000 Denial of participation.
ILLUSTRATION: A theater cannot refuse to admit an individual with mental retardation to a performance merely because of the individual's mental disability.

III-3.3000
ILLUSTRATION 1: Persons with disabilities must not be limited to certain performances at a theater.

III-3.5000 Discrimination on the basis of association.
ILLUSTRATION 2: If a theater refuses to admit K, an individual with cerebral palsy, as well as L (his brother) because K has cerebral palsy, the theater would be illegally discriminating against L on the basis of his association with K.

III-4.4600 Seating in assembly areas. Public accommodations are required to remove barriers to physical access in assembly areas such as theaters, lecture halls, and conference rooms with fixed seating.

the ADA apply to businesses and employers with more than 15 employees (regardless of whether or not one -r some have a disability) see the websites posted in my previous message

now your turn:

can you tell me what the ADA DOES NOT apply to? :cool2:

ILLUSTRATION: A theater cannot refuse to admit an individual with mental retardation to a performance merely because of the individual's mental disability.

III-3.3000
ILLUSTRATION 1: Persons with disabilities must not be limited to certain performances at a theater.

ILLUSTRATION 2: If a theater refuses to admit K, an individual with cerebral palsy, as well as L (his brother) because K has cerebral palsy, the theater would be illegally discriminating against L on the basis of his association with K.

III-4.4600 Seating in assembly areas. Public accommodations are required to remove barriers to physical access in assembly areas such as theaters, lecture halls, and conference rooms with fixed seating.

the ADA apply to businesses and employers with more than 15 employees (regardless of whether or not one -r some have a disability) see the websites posted in my previous message

now your turn:

Community theatres who have not 15 employees!

III-3.3000

now your turn:

I've already given you some examples of what the ADA does not apply to. And the cut and paste you provided has absolutely nothing to do with actors at a community theatre. The post you have made applies to patrons, not members of the cast. And it is also referring to for profit theaters, not community theaters.:roll:

As I said, once you have learned a bit more about the ADA and its applications, we will be able to engage in a productive discussion.

And to answer your question, yes, I work. I am capable of multi tasking. I guess you must have a problem with that.

Community theatres who have not 15 employees!

And since most community theaters have no employees...only volunteers...the ADA does not apply to them.:giggle: If they had paid employees, they would be a professional theater.

Back