Drivers License

I failed the parallel parking section. Did I fail because I'm deaf? :giggle:

Disclaimer: this is meant to be a joke. I failed it because I did not practice. A NYer would be an expert, I'm from Jersey, so I didn't get many chances of doing a parallel parking...I still suck at this. :)
Don't worry. Parallel Parking is one of the hardest parts in driving. You're not the only one. :)

...But I was thinking too literally, and the farmer's wife taped her compact mirror on the bracket, and I drove to Stockton with a clear (and silent) conscience.

Clever lady.
:giggle:

I went to mainstream High School. Anyone who was 15 or older take the Driver's Ed class. We take our tests after the classes. When we pass, then on our 16th birthday, we go out to get our permit. One year of driving, blah blah, then the driver's license test. I took it the same manner as a hearing person. I did not have an interpreter, did not have anything. Which was okay because I could speak for myself. If only I had a bigger car, the lady that tested me was um...very very large. My whole little car tilted!

Anyways.....There's really no difference in my opinion on how we take the test. The only neat thing is we get a nice small sticker on our driver's license with an ear and a slash over it (you know the symbol for deaf). That's it.

There's no discrimination for deaf drivers. :)

I have a driver's license which on the back said I have lens or glasses, but when I saw on the last comment with an ear and a slash over it(the symbol for deaf). I think that is a great idea to have that symbol for the deaf put in the back of the driver's license. It is also good idea to put the symbol on the monitor in the police car to let them know that we are deaf before approaching us to our cars. It is much safer and easily not misunderstand if we are not responding to police officers. No, it is not a discrimination, because that way it will help the hearing people who don't know about our deafness and how to communicate. I think we need to have a petition or just go to the police station or motor vehicle place and ask if they can have a symbol for the deaf on the back of the card. :ty: for bring that up on the comment you make on the last comment. Good work that you do have one while everyone of us don't have one. :h5:

I got mine in the same manner as hearing people got theirs. If they made me take an extra test - I would have SUED them for discrimination!!!!!

Exactly. This would be a question to address to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. They are the ones that give the tests. And at the same time, you could ask them if they have terps and a TTY line available for the deaf.

I failed the parallel parking section. Did I fail because I'm deaf? :giggle:

Disclaimer: this is meant to be a joke. I failed it because I did not practice. A NYer would be an expert, I'm from Jersey, so I didn't get many chances of doing a parallel parking...I still suck at this. :)

Did you fail because you didn't hear it when you hit that car behind you?:giggle:

Unlike a car accident, that I have experienced in 2005.

absolutely no different than hearing people. i never took drivers ed, it's not a requirement or anything where i live and costs a lot of extra unnecessary money. my mom taught me how to drive. i just told the man giving me the drivers test that i was deaf and he would have to speak clearly, and point to where i have to turn, instead of going "on the next street, turn right" or whatever. that was the only difference, pointing!

there is nothing on my driver's license that says i have a hearing loss, no little ear with a slash symbol. i kind of wish there was, since my hearing loss often confuses people (i'm profoundly deaf but most often come across as hearing). i would hate to be pulled over by a cop and have to explain to them the nature of my hearing loss and try to convince them that i am, in fact, deaf!

absolutely no different than hearing people. i never took drivers ed, it's not a requirement or anything where i live and costs a lot of extra unnecessary money. my mom taught me how to drive. i just told the man giving me the drivers test that i was deaf and he would have to speak clearly, and point to where i have to turn, instead of going "on the next street, turn right" or whatever. that was the only difference, pointing!

there is nothing on my driver's license that says i have a hearing loss, no little ear with a slash symbol. i kind of wish there was, since my hearing loss often confuses people (i'm profoundly deaf but most often come across as hearing). i would hate to be pulled over by a cop and have to explain to them the nature of my hearing loss and try to convince them that i am, in fact, deaf!

Didn't you know that if you get pulled over -- and tell them that I am deaf and they just let me go with a warning after a small talk in regards of speeding or whatever I believe that, the cops have no time to waste their time talking to a deaf person, unlike myself. Period!

Didn't you know that if you get pulled over -- and tell them that I am deaf and they just let me go with a warning after a small talk in regards of speeding or whatever I believe that, the cops have no time to waste their time talking to a deaf person, unlike myself. Period!

good point...!! :giggle:

That's how I never got the ticket in my whole life (Not to mention, parking tickets), I was pulled over twice for that reason.

Yeah....but my son and his friend got pulled over by a CODA cop. Didn't work that time!:giggle:

Exactly. This would be a question to address to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. They are the ones that give the tests. And at the same time, you could ask them if they have terps and a TTY line available for the deaf.
What would an interpreter and a TTY be needed for at a DMV?

So I just found out that in Washington State, there was a law passed that a deaf person can have an interpreter when they are taking their drivers test. Does anyone else know if their state has that law too?

What would an interpreter and a TTY be needed for at a DMV?

An interpreter for those who need an interpreter for communication with the employees of the bureau, and an TTY so that deaf folks can call the agency if they choose, just as hearing people do. And since this is a government agency, they are supposed to have those accommodations available.

I went thro the same thing as hearing do. No interpeter. On the day I went for my driver license. It last about 5 minutes that was it.

I guess he didnt want to waste his time with me cuz of my deafness. :giggle:

I got pulled over by the cops twice since I moved into my new home. Sure I was let go. :D My son was there and explained that I was deaf. :D

Back