Stupid question...difference between deaf and Deaf?

Holly

Reaction score
that may seem like a stupid question but I have to find out. is deaf with a lower case "d" hoh? or something else? what do both of these mean?

I will try my best to explain. Others are welcome to correct me.

D-eaf is a person who identifies themself as culturally deaf, who uses sign language.....and does not see deafness as a disability whatsoever.

d-eaf is a person who has very little or no connection to the deaf culture and regards deafness as a disability.

D-eaf is a person who identifies themself as culturally deaf, who uses sign language.....and does not see deafness as a disability whatsoever.

d-eaf is a person who has very little or no connection to the deaf culture and regards deafness as a disability.

That was clear and straightforwarded. Very easy to understand without too much confusing info!

That was clear and straightforwarded. Very easy to understand without too much confusing info!

thanks guys!

If that is the case, then why do Deaf (yes, the big 'D') people get SSDI? If that's the case, then should they really have the right to consider themselves "Deaf"? :dunno:

It's not a stupid question.

Besides, the word "deaf" is loosely translated from many perspective.

In the deaf world, the difference between Deaf and deaf is Deaf Culture. People who say they are Deaf (with big 'D') are those who strongly follow Deaf Culture. People who say they are deaf (with little 'd') are those who don't follow Deaf Culture.

For me, I'm simply... deaf (with little 'd').

As for "hard-of-hearing", that's also something that depends on who's using the word.

If you have the ability to hear very well (with hearing aids) and speak orally well, then you could call yourself "hard-of-hearing" when you're describing yourself to other deaf people.

However, if you were in a government office... they would look at "hard-of-hearing" as something used by old people who have lost part of their hearing due to age. That's why they usually use "hearing impaired" instead.

I agree no question is stupid . . . though sometimes I scratch my head over answers.

The capital D spelling of deaf has no proper place in U.S. publications, except at the beginning of a sentence or if it's someone's name.

All other uses of deaf as a proper noun are personal affectations, which all people are free to do without rhyme or reason. It's what makes languages so fun and keeps me employed. I love it.

i am hard of hearing but could i also say i'm deaf or is it Deaf or neither because i care and follow deaf culture?

It's not a stupid question.

Besides, the word "deaf" is loosely translated from many perspective.

In the deaf world, the difference between Deaf and deaf is Deaf Culture. People who say they are Deaf (with big 'D') are those who strongly follow Deaf Culture. People who say they are deaf (with little 'd') are those who don't follow Deaf Culture.

For me, I'm simply... deaf (with little 'd').

As for "hard-of-hearing", that's also something that depends on who's using the word.

If you have the ability to hear very well (with hearing aids) and speak orally well, then you could call yourself "hard-of-hearing" when you're describing yourself to other deaf people.

However, if you were in a government office... they would look at "hard-of-hearing" as something used by old people who have lost part of their hearing due to age. That's why they usually use "hearing impaired" instead.

Vampy - you have made it very simple in your explanation and now I understand .... thank you. :)

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I see myself as culturally deaf, but do not use sign-language (because I have a cochlear implant), do not have any connection to the deaf community- simply because I live in a relatively remote area. I also accept that I have a disability (otherwise i'd be lying if I said 'no' to the 'do you have a disability?' question that so commonly pops up in generic registration forms nowdays), but it does not detract from the fact that I do not see myself as disabled.

So what category do I fall under?

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I see myself as culturally deaf, but do not use sign-language (because I have a cochlear implant), do not have any connection to the deaf culture- simply because I live in a relatively remote area. I also accept that I have a disability (otherwise i'd be lying if I said 'no' to the 'do you have a disability?' question that so commonly pops up in generic registration forms nowdays), but it does not detract from the fact that I do not see myself as disabled.

So what category do I fall under?

You would fall under the category "deaf"

I was "deaf" growing up cuz I didnt know any sign language nor interacted with the Deaf community. Since learning ASL 10 years ago, I am much more actively involved in the Deaf community so I consider myself "Deaf" now.

The deaf call me hard of hearing, The hearing call me deaf. I don't know asl that well.I am a lip reader and oral and I need to wear hearing aids. So I don't know what I fall under.:dunno:

me either pepsiwoman lol i am hoh but some call me deaf too (hearies) i speak perfect i'm learning asl i read lips too tho...i dont tell everyone that tho...like to just in case i kno if ppl are tkn sneaky lol i cant hear whispering..but i can see it sometimes! lol

me either pepsiwoman lol i am hoh but some call me deaf too (hearies) i speak perfect i'm learning asl i read lips too tho...i dont tell everyone that tho...like to just in case i kno if ppl are tkn sneaky lol i cant hear whispering..but i can see it sometimes! lol

It's all about perspective. If you feel affiliated with the culture, then you are Deaf. If not, then you are deaf. Sometimes that backfires - it does go both ways. To be truly part of any culture, one has to be accepted as well. And how do you like learning ASL so far? If you know Spanish (or Italian), you'll find many similaries in the syntax. Just have fun! :)

It's all about perspective. If you feel affiliated with the culture, then you are Deaf. If not, then you are deaf. Sometimes that backfires - it does go both ways. To be truly part of any culture, one has to be accepted as well. And how do you like learning ASL so far? If you know Spanish (or Italian), you'll find many similaries in the syntax. Just have fun! :)

yeah, I am really enjoying it. Unfortunately I don't know any other languages. I took spanish in high school but don't remember most of it!

Back