VP call from cell phone

marcyp06

Reaction score
Sprint Samsung Epic and Tab and iPhone4 both have point to point VP calling, right? Are other phones in production now with same capabilities? I have verizon am wondering if should switch or be patient??

With the ZVRS Z4 Mobile or Sprint VRS Mobile App, yes, you can use a Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G on Sprint Wireless, or Samsung Galaxy S Tab on virtually any carrier.

You _can_ run those mobile apps on a Google Nexus One, or an HTC Desire/Incredible (and other Android phones), but there will be no front-facing camera (Android 2.3 introduced the front-facing camera API - older version of Android must work within per-handset manufacturer APIs to access the front-facing camera, and the above apps doe not currently work with any other APIs).

Samsung Galaxy S Tab does come in a Verizon version, that would work for you. The 3G speeds are somewhat wanting. I wouldn't wait for LTE myself, they're at least a year behind the Sprint deployment, and there are virtually no devices or nearly enough coverage to make it worth it yet.

Verizon has a 5GB cap on data access (unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited), so you'll need to make sure you keep within that data plan's limits or your videophone will simply stop working.

If you're looking for a mobile phone form-factor, and you want to stick with Verizon, you may want to wait until LTE devices come out and you get LTE coverage in your area. Barring that, you could get a Droid and a mirror (rear facing camera), and cross your fingers that your data speed will be fast enough. That, or tether with a mifi.

Some people have gotten clever and tether an iTouch off of a Clear Spot 4G, or Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G, or Mifi 3G device. You could, in theory, do that with just about any mobile device that has wifi and that can run a videophone client. The big problem there is battery life (4 hours).

There is a Samsung Tab with wifi only (no carrier 3g), that would tether off of one of those, but your battery life on the mifi/overdrive is really going to be the limiting factor.

Again, you _can_ sometimes get passable 3G data connections, and you can sometimes get really poor 4G data connections, so don't be too confused by the 3G/4G speak. Just know that, generally, if you get a 4G signal on your device, it will usually be fast enough to place a video call, where a 3G signal may not.

There is presently VRS for Facetime on iPhone/iTouch, but you need wifi.

While there presently isn't VRS for Tango, Qik, Fring, or other mobile clients, but that doesn' t mean some enterprising VRS provider won't give that a go eventually.

The easiest path would just be switch plans from Verizon Wireless to a Sprint Wireless Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G, install the above mobile apps, and be done with it.

If you do not use voice plan at all, then I would recommend switching to Sprint to get Samsung Epic because as far I know the data only is the cheapest and with true unlimited data feature.

Even roaming are included in the plan for no extra charge and if there no Sprint services in the area where you going then it will use Verzion or Alltel tower until it link back it Sprint tower so you pretty much have good coverage in USA with Sprint.

So IMO Sprint is best buy for Deaf commuities if your looking to save a buck with video calling feature.

*sighs*

People are not thinking ahead, you do know that hardware videophones like VP-200, MVP, VPAD, Z products will be history? Look at TTY. Mobile video is the future because you can install different softwares on it.

This is WHY people are buying HTC EVO, Epic because it does point to point with history which will no longer exist.

I am tired of people asking if it support p2p which is pointless. There's FaceTime, Tango, Fring...for that.

Thanks VRSEngineer for that relatively simple post. I'll go look at an Epic and see if I like the keyboard. I've been stuck on blackberries because I just cannot cope with a glass screen, and did not like the Droid keyboard....

-Paul

(Dismal Shadow:*sighs*

People are not thinking ahead, you do know that hardware videophones like VP-200, MVP, VPAD, Z products will be history? Look at TTY. Mobile video is the future because you can install different softwares on it.

This is WHY people are buying HTC EVO, Epic because it does point to point with history which will no longer exist.

I am tired of people asking if it support p2p which is pointless. There's FaceTime, Tango, Fring...for that.)

dismal shadow, do you have a smart phone brand name lists (htc evo, samsung epic, tmobile my touch 4g, iphone4..now? IF no, that why you tired of people's question about vp point to point,tango, fring etc....

macfreak and vrsengineer won't tell truth about htc evo, my touch 4g etc... just said blab,blab, blab about samsung epic only and zvrs only that it...

macfreak and vrsengineer won't tell truth about htc evo, my touch 4g etc... just said blab,blab, blab about samsung epic only and zvrs only that it...

You are full of $hit. Sprint advertise about EVO for a while. ZVRS have tested with EVO and its ok ok but EPIC came in pictures and wow. Samsung work with ZVRS real close compared to HTC. HTC is very slow and not very supporting this. However, Mainstream had a agreement with Mirial (Sp) to use EVO only. I know why you are angry because you bought EVO :giggle: I dont know why Sprint did advertise to all deaf community to buy it. Now Sprint start to selling EPIC.. :hmm: Sprint knew EVO sucks.. :laugh2:

So you STFU :wave:

Don't ever expect on mobile phone to use as VP. All are full of crap. Because you will have to dump it within 2 years or less once it's become useless while other is new. They don't always play along with Sorenson vp200 that well.

You are full of $hit. Sprint advertise about EVO for a while. ZVRS have tested with EVO and its ok ok but EPIC came in pictures and wow. Samsung work with ZVRS real close compared to HTC. HTC is very slow and not very supporting this. However, Mainstream had a agreement with Mirial (Sp) to use EVO only. I know why you are angry because you bought EVO :giggle: I dont know why Sprint did advertise to all deaf community to buy it. Now Sprint start to selling EPIC.. :hmm: Sprint knew EVO sucks.. :laugh2:

So you STFU :wave:

No u are wrong I compare EVO and Epic both are same..... Did do benchwork test both very close same number and front cam both had same 1.3 mp....Only EVO cant get ZVRS Z4 because Mainstream block it they had agreement with Sprint that why we cant get ZVRS Z4 mobile on EVO..... That what my friend who work for ZVRS told me.....

(Dismal Shadow:*sighs*

I am tired of people asking if it support p2p which is pointless. There's FaceTime, Tango, Fring...for that.)

dismal shadow, do you have a smart phone brand name lists (htc evo, samsung epic, tmobile my touch 4g, iphone4..now? IF no, that why you tired of people's question about vp point to point,tango, fring etc....
Oh, but I do. ;)

So um I have a question with the htc evo can you call a vr-200 using the video phone, sorry I do not know any technical terms :)

VP for VRS and point to point

don't forget the mytouch... and for mobile you want to talk with friends with VP 200 Z4 available on MyTouch from TMobile and Samsung Epic and Tab works with all VPs VP200 and Z phones.. and VRS..

I will not be surprised in Z4 soon work on iPhone

Apple is supposed to release new versions of their iChat soon that supports video-to-video between, iphone/mac/pc.

A few VP companies are waiting till that comes out and they will just copy the source when it is available to make their own apps to support iphone/vp

Apple is supposed to release new versions of their iChat soon that supports video-to-video between, iphone/mac/pc.

A few VP companies are waiting till that comes out and they will just copy the source when it is available to make their own apps to support iphone/vp

Check it out.

Apple - FaceTime - Make video calls to iPhone 4 from your Mac.

Facetime App allow video-to-video between for iOS (iPhone/iPod touch) and OSX (Snow Leopard).

I don't think Apple will make iChat for Windows.

I don't want to call cell phone to cell phone, I want to use my cell to call a VP landline. I have used Epic and like it. I am hearing and getting a VP when you're hearing is EXPENSIVE. So would be cheaper to have cell phone with that ability. I replace phone about every 2 years anyway so not a big deal.

Check it out.

Apple - FaceTime - Make video calls to iPhone 4 from your Mac.

Facetime App allow video-to-video between for iOS (iPhone/iPod touch) and OSX (Snow Leopard).

I don't think Apple will make iChat for Windows.

Let me rephrase myself, after the iChat supporting facetime from the iPhone, Apple is going to push for video standards on handhelds so a program similar to skype or fring is going to be available for facetime on the pc in the near future.

AppleInsider | Inside iPhone 4: FaceTime video calling

Back