Are the Disables parents allow to adopt or foster the babies/children?

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m interesting to collect any experience from you all in the different countries.

Here in Germany No!
The disables are not able to adopt or foster the babies or children accord the German law. Nobody knows why.
We would like very much to ask the law why we (disables parents) are not allow adopting any babies/children.

1. One childless married couple, I know well re-applied for the adoption & foster for years but they were rejected again due their deafness because of accord to law that the healthy parents are only one who are able to adopt or foster the babies to children.
The lawyers can’t do anything to help them accord the law that it’s sad. They have a beautiful house etc. They achieve their beautiful life & are able to give the children everything what they dream but the law interesting is only healthy parents….

2. One deaf lady Regina were put in jail & trust her married best friend Pat to foster Regina’s 2 children for her but Social Workers ignored her wish & put her children in care home. The lawyers can’t do anything to against the law. Pat & Ralf are happily married & have 2 children. They have house & garden….. They love very much to foster Regina’s children because the children know Pat very well as Auntie… What a sad.

All what they told me that Social Workers doesn’t bother to check their incomes, look around their house, etc etc etc because they want only healthy parents.

I find it’s unfair because a lot of deaf parents are good parents & know how to bring their children like hearing parents.

Can you please share your experience with us what you have been through or what you know...
I'm interesting to collect your share...
Thank you :fly:

Last edited:
That's so unreal and sad, indeed! Us deafies are just as healthy as hearing people! :roll: I just know that it differs in each country on adopting or fostering a child...but denying deaf people the opportunity to adopt and foster is too extreme and ridiculious. :(

I just hope that one day SOON, that'll change and those who were denied the opportunity, will be compensated for the pain they went through by being rejected and considered 'unhealthy' in German's government's eyes.

There was a case back in the '60's(in US) that said that deaf people couldn't be good parents. Personally, I think that deciding if someone's a good parent or not based on physical disabilty is rediclous!!!!! I can't hear....so why doesn't that not make me a good parent? There are great parents on this board...and many of us are deaf/hoh! That's like saying that black people or GLB people can't be good parents!

Yep deafdyke You are Correct....

I don't see why they have to use us as a bad parent because we just cannot hear....I mean what is so bad about that?

If you Notice that there are some Hearing Parent Murdered their children or someone else Children and they get to adopt or foster the babies or children.

I wish People would stop using this cannot hear phrase to stop us from adopting or Fostering Children cuz I am sure each and Everyone of us are Different in a way of Raising our Children some use ASL All the way some Use both or just their voices that shouldn't harm anybody.

I find this ridiculous!!!....

If the goverment thinks they know who is ' best ' to become an adopt or foster parents then tell me why some children being stuck into an abusive home or even killed for some reason ?....

I thought we are suppose to be treat equally....if they think ' deaf parents' are unfit to become a foster parent or adopting a child/baby then I would say they are out of their mind!..Take a look around us....What proof do they have that say we are unfit to become one?... :squint:

In Ontario,Canada...

Do Allow you adopt child or foster parent.. R u Deaf parent who have good income and healthier enviroment as CAS Agency preferable choice.. There have no such thing againist the law.. unless CAS prefer checking your record of criminal and to make sure if r u clean as 100% no record.. accept allowed to have adopt child or become foster parent whatever.. I have no idea rest of other provinces in Canada within further..

Unbelivable hearing about Germany's law.. I find this really totaly CRUELTY! Where respect all human being as equal.. Hopefully one day whoever willing fight the change Germany's law nearest the future and to obitiain become adopt child or foster parent.

what about deaf kids that need adoption or foster parents do they allow that in germany?

DeafSCUBA98 said:
what about deaf kids that need adoption or foster parents do they allow that in germany?

Good Question DeafSCUBA98....Maybe the goverment of Germany may think deaf children are better off with hearing parents!... :roll:

In Australia, they rather to put deaf kids to be foster by deaf Adults as first choice rather than hearing adults.

For adopted, I am not sure, will find out more!

If anyone who are over 30, they cannot adopt kids, because they are TOO OLD for that eek!!! (I think 30 more or less I cannot remember to be exact)

My deaf friend's second husband adopted her child from her previous relationship.

DeafSCUBA98 said:

Well, some of Deafie who went the school with my hubby & of course other more deafies were grown up at care home because nobody wants to adopt them... :shock:

Yes, I'm agree that deaf children is better off with deaf parents... I'll give you more information when I get the news from German forum. I'm disagree with German's law :rl:

It's sad that hearing parents want to adopt healthy babies... It's sad that they didn't know what deaf is...

Last edited:
Red~Rum said:
If anyone who are over 30, they cannot adopt kids, because they are TOO OLD for that eek!!! (I think 30 more or less I cannot remember to be exact)

Yes, it's the same with German law but from 35 years old.

My deaf friend's second husband adopted her child from her previous relationship.
Yes, it's same with here, too. The law can't do anything to stop him or her to adopt his/her step-children because he/she MARRIED partners with her/his own children.

It's sad that deaf childless deaf parents are not able to adopt or foster the children accord German law... Nobody knows why. Stupid, but one member from other forum thinks that German law is too old during nazi's time? I dunno, I will find out more...

^Angel^ said:
Good Question DeafSCUBA98....Maybe the goverment of Germany may think deaf children are better off with hearing parents!... :roll:

I second that... but that's stupid law...

Liebling...

I don't like the idea of them putting child/children in their "specific" rules.. I believe everyone has a rights to have child/children to be adopted If they can afford, and can provide lots of loves, attentions then they are qualifed for it. Some laws are stupid! but I would fight for my right if that ever happen to me!

Tweety, you are always welcome to adopt one :) I think there was nothing wrong to have baby in your life too :)

Wendy

I disagree with the German law, but I can understand their ignorancy. Somehow they just think that because you don't hear you don't have a brain to know how to manage children. They just don't know how we think in our little head that it's just like everyone else.

The only way to change this is to fight for it. That's the only way to open up their eyes.

I also wonder...can the deaf parents bring home American children to take care of? Deaf or hearing? Do they have a right to tell you no to that? Some americans bring children from other contries!

I agree with Wendy. If someone is able to provide for the baby financially, emotionally and physically, then there should be no reason at all why they cannot adopt.

After all, there are babies out there with biological parents who are complete assholes...drug addicts, alcoholics, abusers - and they'd be better off with someone else. Yet people make up "rules" about who can adopt and who cannot. That's what pisses me off.

Hmmmmmmmmph! To the unfair German law!

Still did you know that just a short time ago that if you were deaf or deaf-blind in the United States that you could be put in a "mental insitution"..just because you were deaf or deaf blind? There is a book,..Walking Free: The Nellie Zimmerman Story by Rosezelle Boggs Qualls,..which tells what happened to a deaf blind lady, who was insititutionalized in such a house of horror for nineteen years and came out of that experience and was able to go to college, get a job,..and find love successfully. She was a "HELL" of a woman...according to the book!!

mysteriesofthes said:
Still did you know that just a short time ago that if you were deaf or deaf-blind in the United States that you could be put in a "mental insitution"..just because you were deaf or deaf blind? There is a book,..Walking Free: The Nellie Zimmerman Story by Rosezelle Boggs Qualls,..which tells what happened to a deaf blind lady, who was insititutionalized in such a house of horror for nineteen years and came out of that experience and was able to go to college, get a job,..and find love successfully. She was a "HELL" of a woman...according to the book!!

Oh wow, that is exactly occurred at the Mental Health Group for the Deaf. I resigned that group home due to not hiring staffs who can sign language to access communication with the clients.

I am filing a complaint with Disability Law Center for a better system with DMR for the clients's sake. Now, there is under investigated to see if there are any negelect and abuse communication block.

Back