Vardon Family to lose Extreme Makeover House

Dodge Trucker

Reaction score
(Mods - if this is posted in the incorrect forum, please move to the appropriate forum/threads. Thanks)

This is so sad. Remember the deaf Vardon family who was awarded a Extreme makeover house a couple years ago?

From what I could understand from the video (correct me if I am wrong please but please no flaming) that the Vardon family could no longer afford payments on the house or something related to making payments for the house. They had to borrow money many times to keep up. Again, correct me if I am wrong and post your source for the CORRECT info.

Video

(Mods - if this is posted in the incorrect forum, please move to the appropriate forum/threads. Thanks)

This is so sad. Remember the deaf Vardon family who was awarded a Extreme makeover house a couple years ago?

From what I could understand from the video (correct me if I am wrong please but please no flaming) that the Vardon family could no longer afford payments on the house or something related to making payments for the house. They had to borrow money many times to keep up. Again, correct me if I am wrong and post your source for the CORRECT info.

Video

This is true. I'm hearing and could hear the peice. The Vardon Family is facing foreclosure, but they are trying to work out something with the lender. They are awaiting a decision.

I am surprised. I always thought the families owned it with no mortgage or anything after the Makeover.

I am surprised. I always thought the families owned it with no mortgage or anything after the Makeover.

so did i. i know for some game shows winners must pay taxes on the prizes they receive, but i don't know if that's the case for this particular program.

Only if the person that is doing the building offers to pay it off. Could be a donor behind the scene that might offer. However, the show itself doesn't pay off the mortgage that I've seen or am aware of.

Right, not all of the make-overs come mortgage-free.

Could someone please provide us with a transcript of the video? (Like Reba or Jillio?) I can't understand a damn thing due to not being able to see the deaf family's hands most of the time in the video. Their hands are cut out of view. I would really appreciate it so much.

wow thanks for sharing! It got me sad too..... I was watching Part 8. Deaf parents and 12 years old autistic/blind and 14 years old normal guy "with a heart of gold." Marlee Matlin was in it too!

They should have sold the house and get something cheaper..... They can easily reap on close to or above a million dollar for that house.

I asked my hearing friend to summarize it for me. Apparently they were 3 months behind in mortgage and their mortgage rate went up 11%... $2400/month.

They were sobbing, crying about Lance (their autistic kid) -
"lance would be confused- he wouldnt know where he's at"
"there's no security"
"we wouldnt know where he was at- where's the safety for lance? its important to stay here"

His opinion was that "it sounds to me like a bit of exaggeration of their difficulties" because they were doing fine before they had a new house. He got pissed off that they were basically asking for handouts. Why??? They had 2 handouts - a house from Extreme Makeover and a big fat check! And now they want more??

They should just sell the house!

I am so sick of hearing, there are more and more families lost their homes in this country. Government is such SUCKS !!

What's even more appalling is that the mortgage company/lender would not provide a sign language interpreter due to "confidentiality reasons."

Now that's absurd!

I asked my hearing friend to summarize it for me. Apparently they were 3 months behind in mortgage and their mortgage rate went up 11%... $2400/month.

They were sobbing, crying about Lance (their autistic kid) -
"lance would be confused- he wouldnt know where he's at"
"there's no security"
"we wouldnt know where he was at- where's the safety for lance? its important to stay here"

His opinion was that "it sounds to me like a bit of exaggeration of their difficulties" because they were doing fine before they had a new house. He got pissed off that they were basically asking for handouts. Why??? They had 2 handouts - a house from Extreme Makeover and a big fat check! And now they want more??

They should just sell the house!

No Jiro. Please, you need to educate yourself first before you make such gross generalisations about the very beautiful Vardon family.

I have been following the family and since the show & still kept tabs on them.

Their oldest son, Stefan, wrote to the show, not the Vardon parents. The oldest son went to Australia for the summer on the parents' firm intentions he go and not worry about his younger brother Lance.

Stefan grew up interpreting for his parents and when Lance was born with the dual disabilities. Blindness, deafness and autism, Lance would bolt out of the door and leaving his parents freaking out & running after him in the middle of the night searching for Lance.

Larry, the father, would sleep would Lance to ensure Lance's safety. Judy, the mother, gave up a lot of her hobbies so she would make sure Lance prospered both at home and school.

Both parents really suffered financially but kept each other sane with a lot of love. You could see the love in their marriage and in the family.

Through the show, Stefan was given an all-expenses paid for university program. You could see how Larry and Judy would break down so many times in the show because they were happy for Lance's safety. They didn't worry about finances because it was all about Lance and his safety.

Stefan at the end of the show said, he could now go to university without worrying about his brother's safety.

Now Jiro- you tell me if the Vardons should sell their home?? I don't think so. I really hope the whole Deaf and DeafBlind community rallies behind the family and does fundraising. It does take a whole village to help raise a child, in this case, Lance.

You can see the recap of the whole show here. - source

No Jiro. Please, you need to educate yourself first before you make such gross generalisations about the very beautiful Vardon family.

I have been following the family and since the show & still kept tabs on them.

Their oldest son, Stefan, wrote to the show, not the Vardon parents. The oldest son went to Australia for the summer on the parents' firm intentions he go and not worry about his younger brother Lance.

Stefan grew up interpreting for his parents and when Lance was born with the dual disabilities. Blindness, deafness and autism, Lance would bolt out of the door and leaving his parents freaking out & running after him in the middle of the night searching for Lance.

Larry, the father, would sleep would Lance to ensure Lance's safety. Judy, the mother, gave up a lot of her hobbies so she would make sure Lance prospered both at home and school.

Both parents really suffered financially but kept each other sane with a lot of love. You could see the love in their marriage and in the family.

Through the show, Stefan was given an all-expenses paid for university program. You could see how Larry and Judy would break down so many times in the show because they were happy for Lance's safety. They didn't worry about finances because it was all about Lance and his safety.

Stefan at the end of the show said, he could now go to university without worrying about his brother's safety.

Now Jiro- you tell me if the Vardons should sell their home?? I don't think so. I really hope the whole Deaf and DeafBlind community rallies behind the family and does fundraising. It does take a whole village to help raise a child, in this case, Lance.

You can see the recap of the whole show here. - source

yes, I never forgot this show every moment. I could not stop crying. It was so so beautiful inspiration story.

Oh gosh, it breaks my heart to seeing many homes lost especially the hoildays and children. Government did not care about the families are suffering.

Back