Viable John Yeh jailed

qwerty123

Reaction score
Convicted Rockville deaf-services company founder jailed

John T.C. Yeh, founder and former CEO of Rockville deaf services company Viable, has been detained without bail "based on recent violations of the conditions of his bail and pretrial release," according to an order signed May 9 by a federal judge.

Both Yeh and his brother, former Viable executive Joseph Yeh, were to be senenced on Monday of next week, but that has been postponed to July 27, according to court documents.

The men pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Trenton, N.J., in October to conspiracy to commit mail fraud. In November 2009, they were among 26 people nationwide to be charged in an indictment with conspiring to defraud the Federal Communications Commission's Video Relay Service program, which helps deaf people communicate, by billing the government for millions of dollars in illegitimate calls.

The Yehs each face a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a fine of $250,000.

Alisa Finelli, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Justice Department, said Tuesday that she was checking on more details of what bail conditions Yeh violated.

John Yeh also was arrested in April and charged with theft of items valued at between $10,000 and $100,000 and conspiracy to commit theft, according to Montgomery County District Court documents. He posted bond and was released, according to court records. Yeh is scheduled to be tried on those charges on June 28 in Rockville.

Paul Kemp, a partner with Ethridge, Quinn, Kemp, McAuliffe, Rowan & Hartinger in Rockville who is representing John Yeh, could not be reached for comment Tuesday. Neither could Stanley Reed, a principal with Lerch, Early and Brewer in Bethesda who is representing Joseph Yeh.

So far, 22 of the 26 people charged in the case have pleaded guilty to various charges. Benjamin Pena of Scottsdale, Ariz., was found guilty last June following a three-day jury trial in Trenton on five counts, including two counts of filing false claims with the government and two counts of mail fraud.

Pena, a former consultant to Viable, hired two others, whom he paid in cash to make illegitimate calls that were billed to the FCC program through another company, according to court documents. In 2008, he and the employees generated about 200,000 minutes of calls that generated billings of $1.3 million, according to court documents.

Two other former Viable executives, Anthony Mowl and Donald Tropp, are among those who have pleaded guilty in the case. Tropp is expected to be sentenced in July, according to court documents.

kshay@gazette.net

I heard that he walked in Viable to collect his personal properties, so how can it be considered theft?

Hmm. I guess there's more to the story than we are aware of.

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your ongoing support throughout this difficult time. I have created a video (captioned), on behalf of my family, asking for supporters’ presence at my father’s sentencing at Trenton, NJ on Wednesday, July 27th. Would you please help me spread the word. I hope to see you there too. Please contact friendsofjohnyeh@gmail.com if you have any questions

I dunno but how can anyone show any support for this thief? :dunno:

He's not a bad guy.. He just made some bad decisions. Money changes people. It happens.

If he made a decision with intention to defraud government to rake in millions of dollars - how does that not make him a bad guy???

Should we say same for Bernard Madoff because he's not a "bad guy" but simply made bad decision too even with intention to defraud people?

I assure you that John Yeh, Bernard Madoff, Jack Abramoff, and anybody else with fraud scheme were not making a "bad decision" from spur of moment. They knew fully aware of what they were doing with WILLFUL INTENTION to break the law and they knew people will get hurt from their fraud scheme. They didn't care and they brainstormed it. and they got caught... and they shall pay for it.... with maximum penalty allowed by law.

White Collar Crime is the worst.

If he made a decision with intention to defraud government to rake in millions of dollars - how does that not make him a bad guy???

Should we say same for Bernard Madoff because he's not a "bad guy" but simply made bad decision too even with intention to defraud people?

I assure you that John Yeh, Bernard Madoff, Jack Abramoff, and anybody else with fraud scheme were not making a "bad decision" from spur of moment. They knew fully aware of what they were doing with WILLFUL INTENTION to break the law and they knew people will get hurt from their fraud scheme. They didn't care and they brainstormed it. and they got caught... and they shall pay for it.... with maximum penalty allowed by law.

White Collar Crime is the worst.

All I'm saying is I'm sure he is a good man at heart. He has a family and his daughter looks like a good person. I don't know him and maybe my faith is misplaced but if I were a religious person, I would not condemn him to hell for what he did.

And white collar crime is the worst?! I hope you're joking. I can think of plenty of horrible crimes than that!!!!!!!

All I'm saying is I'm sure he is a good man at heart. He has a family and his daughter looks like a good person. I don't know him and maybe my faith is misplaced but if I were a religious person, I would not condemn him to hell for what he did.
Family? Daughter? Good man at heart???? Then why did he do this to them? He humiliated them and betrayed them. Same for his friends and colleagues. I truly feel sorry for his family and daughter. They're ashamed for life.....

And white collar crime is the worst?! I hope you're joking. I can think of plenty of horrible crimes than that!!!!!!!
Lemme guess - it's not the worst because John Yeh didn't kill or rape anybody. You are gravely mistaken....

I don't think you realize the gravity of white collar crimes... the cost involved in the legal proceedings and such. and the number of parties hurt or even killed from it. You know why White Collar Crime is the worst? Many of them get away from it and they're laughing. It's notoriously difficult to prosecute them because they have a team of lawyers circumventing everything. This affects our lives and people's livelihood.

I went to school with his wife and her sister...NCSD....he's well known in N.C....guess his wife will have to give up their beautiful home now. I personally don't know JOhn, but know his wife & her sister for a short time, many years ago.

I went to school with his wife and her sister...NCSD....he's well known in N.C....guess his wife will have to give up their beautiful home now. I personally don't know JOhn, but know his wife & her sister for a short time, many years ago.

Mary Yeh? She was my teacher at MSSD.

Back