Deaf cyclist needs advice.

Well, I didn't have any problem at all with cycling cuz I packed my bike with 12 Ga shot gun, UZI, 44 Magnum, Winchester 30 explitly exposed all around the bike. No one ever get near me. They really respect me.

:lol:

Hi folks, I hope I have placed this in the correct forum, my apologies if I did not.

I have recently taken up bike riding again and am loving it. However, when cars or other cyclists come up behind me, they expect that I am hearing them. I do not hear them, and am finding this dangerous for me. People get mad at me, and do not realize I cannot hear t6heir vehicles or bells. I am worried about getting hit.

What advice can you give me? I was thinking of a license plate that says "Deaf Rider" or something, I just don't know. I don't really want to draw attention to myself but and finding riding on the main roads too freaky.

I myself ride a bicycle in the city of Chicago, and what I do is I learn which routes are the safest, and which aren't, and adjust accordingly. Now, if I need to get around a car, I look over my shoulder (after making sure I have enough time to do so first), and if it's safe enough to get around, I do it quickly. I also keep an eye out for construction, too, as that'll force you to adjust. It also helps to know about road closures and events that closes your local streets.

Mirrors, yes, why didn't I think of that! Great idea! Bike trails are all good, but I also like to get from 'a' to 'b' on my bike which requires me to ride on the roads.

radioman, I have never thought of riding against the traffic either, strange as it feels to consider it, it does make sense.

I think I will start with mirrors. Thank you for your responses!

If you do ride against the traffic you needs to be careful about blind spots in the road . You'll not be able to see the car until it right on top of you. It does not made sense at all, car will be forces to get into on coming traffic to avoid hitting you. I seen this happen a number of times and I had to do this too b/c someone was riding against the traffic and they where in a blind spot. The person was lucky I do not speed.

Seems to me that whether or not a bicyclist rides with or against traffic many times a car is forced to move over to give enough room for the bicyclist and may have to pass in the opposite direction lane if there are no bike lanes. I've seen this often and also have had to do it.

Happens both ways. Best thing to do is be aware of surroundings and be sure to keep eyes moving... whether or not in a familiar "tried and true" route or if going somewhere when you don't have the time to check every detail. :). Oh and helmet and protective gear!

I've always rode against traffic, it just makes sense. I've had hearing bycilcist bitch about this and that, but I don't treat my bike like a car, I expect to get places slower, I don't expect anyone to see me and I always yeild to cars. If being HOH has taught me anything its to keep my eyes open and rely on myself and my safeguards.

I must have drove the Portland biker nazis insane.

At John H N, you have to register as deaf/HOH? ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

In many states it is illegal to ride against traffic! And it gives you both (the bike rider & car) less time to react to each other. There are rear view mirrors available for both handlebars and helmets. At least some PBS TV stations are running a program Pedal America about bike riding in different American cities. They also give maintenance and safety tips.

I rode against traffic too as a teen in high school when I'd ride for an hour or so to visit a friend. I understand why it's encouraged to ride with traffic, but it felt like giving up control to the drivers and I didn't want to do that. I liked feeling a bit more control while riding against traffic. At least then I could dodge or jump off my bike if needed.

Probably wasn't a good idea to have earphones in listening to my Walkman at full blast, though. Oh, and pedaling with no hands on the handlebars to show off and freak out car drivers. Hmm, I really was a punk back then.

Seems to me that whether or not a bicyclist rides with or against traffic many times a car is forced to move over to give enough room for the bicyclist and may have to pass in the opposite direction lane if there are no bike lanes. I've seen this often and also have had to do it.

Happens both ways. Best thing to do is be aware of surroundings and be sure to keep eyes moving... whether or not in a familiar "tried and true" route or if going somewhere when you don't have the time to check every detail. :). Oh and helmet and protective gear!

I know a woman that had a friend that was out jogging with her mother.
The two women where jogging against the traffic and the daughter sprit ahead of her mother , and the daughter got into a blind spot and a driver going around the bend did not see the woman and she was killed instantly . The mother found her daughter dead . :(

Oh, yeah. One other thing-- don't ever carry a heavy bag with you unless you're used to it. I do it a lot, but only because I'm used to it, and can handle it. If you're unable to handle heavy bags, then you should not do so.

In many states it is illegal to ride against traffic! And it gives you both (the bike rider & car) less time to react to each other. There are rear view mirrors available for both handlebars and helmets. At least some PBS TV stations are running a program Pedal America about bike riding in different American cities. They also give maintenance and safety tips.

Bike Law | MassBike

In my state you have to follow the traffic laws so you can't ride a bike against the traffic.

Many of us know how to fix a bicycle, but it's still a good idea to know where bike shops are, because if one runs into a problem that's not fixable on their own, knowing the location is a big help. Not that long ago, I blew out a tire on my bike, and I didn't know there was a bike shop nearby until someone pointed it out to me, and that's where I got my tube from, and so far, it's held up well. I know the location of several bike ships around Chicago, but one I like to go to is actually quite close to home--it's over on Greenleaf, just a couple blocks ahead of me.

Is your desire to ride a bike for commuting around town or purely recreational?

As others have already suggested bike trails or areas with bike lanes might be best, avoid main roads and busy intersections.

I have experienced being hit by two different cars on my pushbike many years ago (not at the same time mind you lol).

I walked away from one of them and the other I was taken to hospital.

I also had a motorbike a few years back, didn't have any crashes but a couple of close calls where a motorist didn't see me. You have to develop at all times a situation awareness this applies to pushbikes too. A parked car up ahead suddenly becomes a u-turning car or the drivers door opens on you. Drivers do dumb things even when their engine is turned off.

Nearly home mentality can have people switch off, this also goes for those on motorbikes and pushbikes. Familiarity with roads and being nearly home can cause you to switch off and that's when accidents can happen, switching off situation awareness.

Being HOH or Deaf i think can give us an advantage on the road of being more visual.
We tend to use our eyes and process things through them more than our ears so i think we do tend to be more aware. However if wearing a hearing aid where everything is loud and could be very distracting and sap ones concentration. So i guess its up to the individual what they are comfortable with.

My worry about drivers today is people who are glued to their cellfone, checking a txt or a twitter etc. We have had plenty of examples in the news of drivers losing control and killing themselves while they were txting. I do not mean to bring this up to scare you. But it is a reality, not everyone does it but you have to be aware some drivers will not be paying attention because they are doing this or they quickly pull over to check a message and not properly look up ahead (this would be bad if you are riding against the traffic).

Other advice is to wear a bright top, stand out. Maybe pick a loud colour.

Someone also mentioned about having a velco deaf symbol on your clothing incase of being knocked out or unable to speak etc. I think this is a good idea. Some people with medical conditions have a bracelet for this sort of thing. Perhaps having an armband with a deaf symbol on it? (on both arms- incase you are laying on one side) or wrist band with DEAF Person written on it (on both wrists). If you are being put into crash recovery position they will see the band.

Putting it on the helmet wouldn't help if the helmet comes off and is out of sight in the event of being knocked down.

As for having a sign indicating you are deaf to traffic on the back of your bike or jacket, does have one drawback, some cretins to wanting to harass or scare you might do so at seeing the sign. But i guess the benefits outweigh a chance someone might do this. If this does happen pull over to the sidewalk where there might be other people and stop.

I don't mean to ramble but another tip could be learning to take evasive maneuvers on your bike. Basically get confident with your bike. This is something as a motorbike rider i had to learn too. Use some cones in an empty carpark. It may seem a waste of time but knowing you can swerve and keep in control may help you not freak out if you have to quickly avoid something- panic can have people do nothing. This would be useful in car door situations or having to ride through a narrow gap or avoid some glass on the road etc.

Is your desire to ride a bike for commuting around town or purely recreational?

As others have already suggested bike trails or areas with bike lanes might be best, avoid main roads and busy intersections.

I have experienced being hit by two different cars on my pushbike many years ago (not at the same time mind you lol).

I walked away from one of them and the other I was taken to hospital.

I also had a motorbike a few years back, didn't have any crashes but a couple of close calls where a motorist didn't see me. You have to develop at all times a situation awareness this applies to pushbikes too. A parked car up ahead suddenly becomes a u-turning car or the drivers door opens on you. Drivers do dumb things even when their engine is turned off.

Nearly home mentality can have people switch off, this also goes for those on motorbikes and pushbikes. Familiarity with roads and being nearly home can cause you to switch off and that's when accidents can happen, switching off situation awareness.

Being HOH or Deaf i think can give us an advantage on the road of being more visual.
We tend to use our eyes and process things through them more than our ears so i think we do tend to be more aware. However if wearing a hearing aid where everything is loud and could be very distracting and sap ones concentration. So i guess its up to the individual what they are comfortable with.

My worry about drivers today is people who are glued to their cellfone, checking a txt or a twitter etc. We have had plenty of examples in the news of drivers losing control and killing themselves while they were txting. I do not mean to bring this up to scare you. But it is a reality, not everyone does it but you have to be aware some drivers will not be paying attention because they are doing this or they quickly pull over to check a message and not properly look up ahead (this would be bad if you are riding against the traffic).

Other advice is to wear a bright top, stand out. Maybe pick a loud colour.

Someone also mentioned about having a velco deaf symbol on your clothing incase of being knocked out or unable to speak etc. I think this is a good idea. Some people with medical conditions have a bracelet for this sort of thing. Perhaps having an armband with a deaf symbol on it? (on both arms- incase you are laying on one side) or wrist band with DEAF Person written on it (on both wrists). If you are being put into crash recovery position they will see the band.

Putting it on the helmet wouldn't help if the helmet comes off and is out of sight in the event of being knocked down.

As for having a sign indicating you are deaf to traffic on the back of your bike or jacket, does have one drawback, some cretins to wanting to harass or scare you might do so at seeing the sign. But i guess the benefits outweigh a chance someone might do this. If this does happen pull over to the sidewalk where there might be other people and stop.

I don't mean to ramble but another tip could be learning to take evasive maneuvers on your bike. Basically get confident with your bike. This is something as a motorbike rider i had to learn too. Use some cones in an empty carpark. It may seem a waste of time but knowing you can swerve and keep in control may help you not freak out if you have to quickly avoid something- panic can have people do nothing. This would be useful in car door situations or having to ride through a narrow gap or avoid some glass on the road etc.

Depends on the situation. If it's for business, I tend to use the roads, as I can get to where I need to be far quicker than I would if I used a bike path or sidewalks. There are people on these, and if I have an appointment, I don't need the hinderance. Roads are best for getting to places I need to be. :P

As for pleasure, I'll take the bike path on Lake Shore Drive if the weather is nice, or if I need to get out for a while. However, getting to it can be tricky. I like to spend a few hours on the path, and the best times to do that would be early morning/late afternoon.

As for days when both happen on the same day, it's a good idea to space them out, so there's no conflicts of interest or whatever may be your hobbies.

Hi! I am a newbie here in AllDeaf site here (smile). I read your posting "Moon-child", with concerns to safety of Deaf individual as bike riders. I too had an experience whereas my husband and I were riding bikes on a walking/bike trail. My husband tends to rides a bit slower than me. A man who already rode his bike past my husband was yelling "move over- coming through" and obviously, I did not hear him. However, I did look over my shoulder seeing a figure startled me and I immediately stopped. My husband huffing and puffing caught up with me and explained that the biker was yelling. I was full of anger and embarrassment at the same time. I later see the biker at a resting place and approached to him nicely and explained that he wasted his breath screaming because I am deaf. His expression was priceless. I told him to stop the yelling and be patient because not everyone has perfect hearing. I would like to market a safety device or something for not only bikers, but hikers, skaters and other sport enthusiasts as well. I would like your input on this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi folks, I hope I have placed this in the correct forum, my apologies if I did not.

I have recently taken up bike riding again and am loving it. However, when cars or other cyclists come up behind me, they expect that I am hearing them. I do not hear them, and am finding this dangerous for me. People get mad at me, and do not realize I cannot hear t6heir vehicles or bells. I am worried about getting hit.

What advice can you give me? I was thinking of a license plate that says "Deaf Rider" or something, I just don't know. I don't really want to draw attention to myself but and finding riding on the main roads too freaky.

I was looking for something similiar for motorcycling and found the Reevu helmets would be a good fit. trying to save up money now. I cant seem to find one for a bicycling though. Also-but one of those Deaf Cyclist patches and sew it to the back of whatever you wear so people will know.

I am deaf cyclist, and I passed slow and OUT OF SHAPE hearing cyclists many times by yelling them? No, I did not. I just find a extra room to pass. I had a lady swerving far left towards at me while I was about to pass. She knew she was at fault for not checking rear before making a far left. Her bicycle tire is bended, and my bicycle is fine except my right leg is bit sore. I get sick of hearing people yell at me to make a move, all I did move and let this burning energy dude pass me until there is uphill, and I passed him big time and watch him getting exhausted early.

Deaf Landis completed a cross-country bike ride from Los Angeles to Ocean City on July 19 to raise money for deaf children vying for a cochlear implant

http://jacobsride.org/

Back