Listener moving lips

MCB

Reaction score
The other day, I was talking to someone about a subject I know very well. My fluency because of this was top-notch. I noticed that she was listening very closely to me, and that her lips were moving in imitation of what I said. Her non-verbals were also very good, in response to what I was saying.

Question-- is this (moving lips) a compensation for late hearing loss people when they lipread? It makes sense that the kinesthetic would help in understanding.

I first noticed this as a child, but I have not seen it for years. Since I wear HA's maybe I could bring up the subject of HA's?

The other day, I was talking to someone about a subject I know very well. My fluency because of this was top-notch. I noticed that she was listening very closely to me, and that her lips were moving in imitation of what I said. Her non-verbals were also very good, in response to what I was saying.

Question-- is this (moving lips) a compensation for late hearing loss people when they lipread? It makes sense that the kinesthetic would help in understanding.

I first noticed this as a child, but I have not seen it for years. Since I wear HA's maybe I could bring up the subject of HA's?

Many people move their lips while reading as well.

Guilty here!...Being a lipreader, at times I find myself sort of "mouthing" the words as someone is speaking to me...why?..I dunno. Could be that I have other things on my mind and trying to lipread another person at the same time, retaining too much information at one time, perhaps.

I do that too! So many times people would point out that I was silently repeating what they were saying. I wasn't even aware of it. Now that I am, I don't do it as much but it still happens especially when I'm having a hard time following what they're saying.

If it helps, why should people criticize others for doing it?

Edit: I think people should have the right to communicate (receptive and expressive) in whatever manner works best for them.

Last edited:
Back