trial for killing of a deaf gay man

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Trial dates set in killing of Waverly deaf gay man

Waverly, Ohio--Trial dates have been set for two of the three men accused of killing a deaf gay man last October.

The trial of Martin E. Baxter, 28, will begin on October 11, nine days after the anniversary of Daniel Fetty’s beating death.

Fetty was living out of his car at the time of his death, saving money for a new apartment after a fire destroyed his previous one.

Police in Waverly, about 60 miles south of Columbus, received a call shortly before 1 am on October 2, 2004. When they got to the scene, they found Fetty lying unconscious and naked in a trash container. He had been beaten with bricks, bottles and boards.

Patrolman Tim South saw Baxter, Matthew Wayne Ferman and James Veachel Trent run behind a nearby building, and the trio were arrested within a couple of hours.

Fetty, 39, was flown to Grant Hospital in Columbus from Pike Community Hospital. He died about twelve hours after the attack.

Pike County Prosecutor Robert Junk is treating the murder as a hate crime. However, Ohio law does not include sexual orientation in its ethnic intimidation statutes, which only cover crimes as severe as telephone harassment.

Baxter faces two charges of aggravated murder, although he can only be convicted of one of them. He also is charged with aggravated robbery, tampering with evidence and abduction.

Facing the death penalty, he has been assigned two attorneys certified to handle such cases, Diane Menashe and Kort Gatterdam of Columbus.

Ferman, 22, will go to trial on January 9, 2006, facing the same charges. Junk is also seeking the death penalty for Ferman.

Trent, 19, pleaded no contest on December 6 to reduced charges and is facing a seven-year prison term. Part of his plea agreement was consenting to testify against Baxter and Ferman.

Baxter’s trial date was set on February 22, Ferman’s three days later. The hearings were, in large part, to see if either the prosecution or the defense wanted Pike County Common Pleas Judge Randy Deering to recuse himself.

Deering arraigned the trio when he was a county judge. He has since been elected to the Court of Common Pleas. Both sides accepted Deering for the cases.

Miss-Delectable said:
Trial dates set in killing of Waverly deaf gay man

Waverly, Ohio--Trial dates have been set for two of the three men accused of killing a deaf gay man last October.

The trial of Martin E. Baxter, 28, will begin on October 11, nine days after the anniversary of Daniel Fetty’s beating death.

Fetty was living out of his car at the time of his death, saving money for a new apartment after a fire destroyed his previous one.

Police in Waverly, about 60 miles south of Columbus, received a call shortly before 1 am on October 2, 2004. When they got to the scene, they found Fetty lying unconscious and naked in a trash container. He had been beaten with bricks, bottles and boards.

Patrolman Tim South saw Baxter, Matthew Wayne Ferman and James Veachel Trent run behind a nearby building, and the trio were arrested within a couple of hours.

Fetty, 39, was flown to Grant Hospital in Columbus from Pike Community Hospital. He died about twelve hours after the attack.

Pike County Prosecutor Robert Junk is treating the murder as a hate crime. However, Ohio law does not include sexual orientation in its ethnic intimidation statutes, which only cover crimes as severe as telephone harassment.

Baxter faces two charges of aggravated murder, although he can only be convicted of one of them. He also is charged with aggravated robbery, tampering with evidence and abduction.

Facing the death penalty, he has been assigned two attorneys certified to handle such cases, Diane Menashe and Kort Gatterdam of Columbus.

Ferman, 22, will go to trial on January 9, 2006, facing the same charges. Junk is also seeking the death penalty for Ferman.

Trent, 19, pleaded no contest on December 6 to reduced charges and is facing a seven-year prison term. Part of his plea agreement was consenting to testify against Baxter and Ferman.

Baxter’s trial date was set on February 22, Ferman’s three days later. The hearings were, in large part, to see if either the prosecution or the defense wanted Pike County Common Pleas Judge Randy Deering to recuse himself.

Deering arraigned the trio when he was a county judge. He has since been elected to the Court of Common Pleas. Both sides accepted Deering for the cases.
i know daniel fetty was my in high school he gay i know it but that sad and was he live in ft worth fetty,family dont like danielfetty make pick out house he look for job hard and went out state thank u

Such an awful thing to happen to Daniel Fetty.

I hope the trio of cruel killers gets their full punishment.

I remember Fetty well, having known him some years ago on deafchat; he was one funny dude!

I'm confused...did they just kill him because he's gay or he's deaf?

or perhas both...? eh anyway, sorry about that.

Steel said:
I'm confused...did they just kill him because he's gay or he's deaf?

or perhas both...? eh anyway, sorry about that.
maybe they just wanted to be against the deaf and they have no respect at all.:confused:

This whole case was a mess and knowing things that were never presented the Guiltiness of Matthew ferman will always be questionable to me. Both Matthew and Dano lived with me at the time of this. Dan for over a year and Matt for about 6 months but I knew Matt for much longer. I faced a lot of threats from unknown sources and out of fear stopped trying. How ever the whole incident supposedly started over Matt's pack of cigarettes that had his money in it. However weeks after Dan's death when I returned home. Matt's cigarettes were on the kitchen counter with his money in the side of them next to a box of trash bags. But supposedly Matt was at the bar and accused Dan of stealing his cigarettes with the money in them. Matt Did not really care for Bars. I can only recall a hand full of times we went to shoot pool. It was also said that Matt lured Dan behind the building by the dumpster to sell him weed We did not sell each other weed we just shared it with each other if one didn't have weed the other one usually did and we all three would share. I stated both of them live with me I cannot even think of one time they even argued as a matter of fact Dan called on Matt quite a few times for protection to come walk him home from work or he would just be out walking and and get scared and call for Matt to come finish walking him home. We were all friends that lived together and shared the bills. Matthew Ferman and Marty Baxter did not even get along. Now I had no contact with Matt for years after his conviction. Out of fear. Now I was at the time of the murder being held in the Ross county Jail for pike county on a receiving stolen money. Even though I was the one that tried to contact the cops to return the money that was given to me when I found out it was stolen. Now shortly after the murder 2 investigators from pike county came to visit me at the jail. Wanted me to wear a wire for them I refused because at the time I had no information. After the recorder was turned off they threatened me with never seeing my son again.

This whole case was a mess and knowing things that were never presented the Guiltiness of Matthew ferman will always be questionable to me. Both Matthew and Dano lived with me at the time of this. Dan for over a year and Matt for about 6 months but I knew Matt for much longer. I faced a lot of threats from unknown sources and out of fear stopped trying. How ever the whole incident supposedly started over Matt's pack of cigarettes that had his money in it. However weeks after Dan's death when I returned home. Matt's cigarettes were on the kitchen counter with his money in the side of them next to a box of trash bags. But supposedly Matt was at the bar and accused Dan of stealing his cigarettes with the money in them. Matt Did not really care for Bars. I can only recall a hand full of times we went to shoot pool. It was also said that Matt lured Dan behind the building by the dumpster to sell him weed We did not sell each other weed we just shared it with each other if one didn't have weed the other one usually did and we all three would share. I stated both of them live with me I cannot even think of one time they even argued as a matter of fact Dan called on Matt quite a few times for protection to come walk him home from work or he would just be out walking and and get scared and call for Matt to come finish walking him home. We were all friends that lived together and shared the bills. Matthew Ferman and Marty Baxter did not even get along. Now I had no contact with Matt for years after his conviction. Out of fear. Now I was at the time of the murder being held in the Ross county Jail for pike county on a receiving stolen money. Even though I was the one that tried to contact the cops to return the money that was given to me when I found out it was stolen. Now shortly after the murder 2 investigators from pike county came to visit me at the jail. Wanted me to wear a wire for them I refused because at the time I had no information. After the recorder was turned off they threatened me with never seeing my son again.m

I'm not really surprised that the investigators threatened you , cops does the same thing ..I once had a cop back 46 yrs ago came to my mums home and threatened me about seeing a guy whom I knew as kids ..I told the cop to git out of my mums house and don't bother or threatened me again coz I will take him to court and keep his badge to pin on my bedroom wall ...he never bother me again ..
I don't trust cops of any type ...

All my facts I stated in my orignal post I have to be incorrect as well. But, I would love to write and post the real story. some where just not sure where.

Back