ROKU + Netflix - Closed Captioning ?

DickS

Reaction score
I have a ROKU 2 and a streaming Netflix account. I need subtitles (foreign films) or closed captioning for English-language films.

I have not found any way to get closed captioning to work for watching films in English on my ROKU with Netflix. I keep reading about it ... but I have yet to see it work.

There is now a ROKU 3 --- is that what I need?

Has anyone make CC work with streaming Netflix on a ROKU for English-language films ?

Dick

Did you change setting in Roku as turn ON "subtitle" ? I'm using my AppleTV and PS3 devices does have Netflix with subtitles.

I have ROKU 2 and it works fine. For a show/movie, you need to go into the movie/show's settings and turn the caption on because it's on 'off' at default. Once it's on, usually the other shows/movies will be on.

Did you change setting in Roku as turn ON "subtitle" ? I'm using my AppleTV and PS3 devices does have Netflix with subtitles.

Is there a setting for "Closed Captioning?" I already see "subtitles" that are shown with foreign films .... but I do NOT see closed captioning for English language films ....

Is there a setting for "Closed Captioning?" I already see "subtitles" that are shown with foreign films .... but I do NOT see closed captioning for English language films ....

ROKU don't support closed captions or some HDMI cable does not work with CC.

Roku 2 and 3 does support captioning but not like the TV "Closed Caption" it look more like the yellow subtitles.

If you don't see subtitle toggle at the movie or show menu then that movie or shows is not supported yet but will be add in soon.

Go to a popular movie like Avengers and see if there a subtitle toggle if not then maybe you need to go setting and update your Roku firmware.

I own a Roku 3 and I have captioning in Netflix, Amazon, Hulu just not all the shows or movie have it yet but Netflix have captioning on most than Amazon or Hulu does.

ROKU don't support closed captions or some HDMI cable does not work with CC.

Dont really matter about HDMI anymore. It was for old technology as dvd player do not come with decoder which it need transfer the CC data to TV.

Many new blu-ray, apple tv, PS3, DVR, etc have built-in decoder and works fine with HDMI.

Roku 2 and 3 does support captioning but not like the TV "Closed Caption" it look more like the yellow subtitles.

If you don't see subtitle toggle at the movie or show menu then that movie or shows is not supported yet but will be add in soon.

Go to a popular movie like Avengers and see if there a subtitle toggle if not then maybe you need to go setting and update your Roku firmware.

I own a Roku 3 and I have captioning in Netflix, Amazon, Hulu just not all the shows or movie have it yet but Netflix have captioning on most than Amazon or Hulu does.

OK - Great -- I found a recent USA movie in English that had a subtitle option -- and I got the closed captioning to work. It was on Netflix with a ROKU 2.

Dick

OK - Great -- I found a recent USA movie in English that had a subtitle option -- and I got the closed captioning to work. It was on Netflix with a ROKU 2.

Dick

Yes more will be added because to my understanding that by January of 2014, streaming providers are suppose to have all their contents captioned.

Back