New credit card...

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I never gave my credit card to anyone. However, I used it for purchases in person and also online. I had to cancel that card as there were unauthorized purchases made on it. My girlfriend's Mom had the same problem. I'm wondering how I can fully block someone from making unauthorized purchases. I never gave the card to anyone to use. If they cannot get hand on card, how can they make unauthorized purchases?? I don't want that problem with new card.

I never gave my credit card to anyone. However, I used it for purchases in person and also online. I had to cancel that card as there were unauthorized purchases made on it. My girlfriend's Mom had the same problem. I'm wondering how I can fully block someone from making unauthorized purchases. I never gave the card to anyone to use. If they cannot get hand on card, how can they make unauthorized purchases?? I don't want that problem with new card.

throw away your computer. it's bugged.

It could have been either from a physical use (they swiped the barcode on the card) or overthe internet, where im inclined to use prepayed credit cards as my actual card has a 8k limit

It happens quite frequently to people. If you use the card anywhere, especially where a clerk can handle the card out of view, they can copy the card number, card holder's name, signature, and so on.

The thing is that you are protected by the credit card company from having to pay for the fraud. The only thing you can really do is get a new card number from the company.

You shouldn't have to close your credit line. You should be careful about closing a credit line anyway, because it can negatively affect your FICO score in the short term.

There's one recent trends going on now about getting CC #. I got a reports from security dept and it's pretty scary that fraudsters start wearing "spy" glasses that can record an images of the CC in front of him/her. Since more and more HD camera are getting smaller and able to get a very clear images. Once they recorded every lines he/she went. Then at home, they just pulled out a thumb drive and insert to the computer. They can zoom in at the freezed frame to copy the numbers down.

Now anytime you shopped, when you are ready to use the swipe machine, always try to cover CC numbers as shown below. Secondly, never ever place the card on the writing board assuming that you are waiting for cashier pick up the card to type in the security code. Aways hold the card out of the view and when she asked for the card, give the card to her facing down. Doesn't matter how the cashier will hold it since it will be facing away from the line.

So, this is important to remember. Of course there are many other ways that fraudsters can retieved CC # like in the mail (it would be good idea to stop recieving the bank/CC and other merchants in the mail and start using internet to check out the billings).

This will reduce the chance of getting identity theft...

Just aditional note: most fraudsters use spy glasses only during the winter times because it's very easy to conceal the wire in the back to the recorder box on his belt.. so it's hard to tell if he/she's wearing real glasses or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 15
Do people in the USA have a chip on their credit cards?

Do people in the USA have a chip on their credit cards?

You mean RFID chip in the credit card, yes it's optional if you request it. Since RFID is encrypted but it's hackable. As you may noticed that more and more laptop have built in RFID reader that you can simply swipe it when you make the order online. This is much safer than typing in using keyboard since if you get infected with "keylogger", anytime you typed on keyboard, it will send ASCII characters to fraudsters or hackers to record it. So using RFID card, it transmitted encrypted to bank bypassing the "keylogger" and they will be sucker. Now the only problem is that any fraudsters carry a large bag that contain powerful "RFID reader" that he can simply walk by a person, like walking behind man's ass, it will pick up RFID code that kept inside the wallet. Then the fraudsters have the code to use to save it on another RFID chip then he can "swipe" it to order whatever he need. So, it's a small chance to get that kind of RFID reader, it's difficult to build one or expensive to by one. There are small number out there that have RFID reader.. but it's far safer than using magnetic media or keybording info online.

So, really nothing is safe out there but you have to be cautious of how you handle it.

I never saw the purpose of having a chip and strip as if they get hold of the card they can still copy the strip seems pointless to me

I never saw the purpose of having a chip and strip as if they get hold of the card they can still copy the strip seems pointless to me

Here, you have to enter a PIN code in order to activate the card insert.

You mean RFID chip in the credit card, yes it's optional if you request it. Since RFID is encrypted but it's hackable. As you may noticed that more and more laptop have built in RFID reader that you can simply swipe it when you make the order online. This is much safer than typing in using keyboard since if you get infected with "keylogger", anytime you typed on keyboard, it will send ASCII characters to fraudsters or hackers to record it. So using RFID card, it transmitted encrypted to bank bypassing the "keylogger" and they will be sucker. Now the only problem is that any fraudsters carry a large bag that contain powerful "RFID reader" that he can simply walk by a person, like walking behind man's ass, it will pick up RFID code that kept inside the wallet. Then the fraudsters have the code to use to save it on another RFID chip then he can "swipe" it to order whatever he need. So, it's a small chance to get that kind of RFID reader, it's difficult to build one or expensive to by one. There are small number out there that have RFID reader.. but it's far safer than using magnetic media or keybording info online.

So, really nothing is safe out there but you have to be cautious of how you handle it.

There are wallets nowadays designed to protect RFID info on your credit cards.

I heard a hacker use RFID reader hide in his netbook case can steal your credit card numbers with RFID chip card when you stand behind of someone scan your wallet and walk away as easy ID thief.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOduug-SC8]Stealing credit card data through RFID readers - YouTube[/ame]

RFID reader at any store like that picture.
images

hacker build own RFID reader with any Apple/Andriod devices.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLJOXAZulA&feature=related[/ame]

colony your card with RFID reader device.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyQ9Us8fJLY[/ame]

Being a sysadmin, and always checking out how things could be exploited by the bad guys, I used to drive the owners of the company nuts when I showed them stuff like how you could use certain RFID cards to open their "SECURITY" doors from a short distance away. A key reason why I wasn't a big fan of such systems. Convenience is a double edged sword sometimes.

The thing a lot of people fail to realize is you *can not* make something criminal proof, any lock a human makes another one can pick, all you can do is make it difficult enough for them to go find an easier target to go after!

Thats exact my definition of no such thing as foolproof security.

Being a sysadmin, and always checking out how things could be exploited by the bad guys, I used to drive the owners of the company nuts when I showed them stuff like how you could use certain RFID cards to open their "SECURITY" doors from a short distance away. A key reason why I wasn't a big fan of such systems. Convenience is a double edged sword sometimes.

The thing a lot of people fail to realize is you *can not* make something criminal proof, any lock a human makes another one can pick, all you can do is make it difficult enough for them to go find an easier target to go after!

Cards are compromised all the time. Just get a new card and new pin too if you're that worried about it. As long as you protect yourself and you don't give out your card for friends to borrow or write down your pin or make it something easy to know like your birthday then you are covered under the bank and if you're victimized you get your money back usually within a week or less...well at least here that's the case dunno bout other banks and such

Use the paypal to order online even out of USA. I use it for over 10 years and no problem with it.

There's one recent trends going on now about getting CC #. I got a reports from security dept and it's pretty scary that fraudsters start wearing "spy" glasses that can record an images of the CC in front of him/her. Since more and more HD camera are getting smaller and able to get a very clear images. Once they recorded every lines he/she went. Then at home, they just pulled out a thumb drive and insert to the computer. They can zoom in at the freezed frame to copy the numbers down.

Now anytime you shopped, when you are ready to use the swipe machine, always try to cover CC numbers as shown below. Secondly, never ever place the card on the writing board assuming that you are waiting for cashier pick up the card to type in the security code. Aways hold the card out of the view and when she asked for the card, give the card to her facing down. Doesn't matter how the cashier will hold it since it will be facing away from the line.

So, this is important to remember. Of course there are many other ways that fraudsters can retieved CC # like in the mail (it would be good idea to stop recieving the bank/CC and other merchants in the mail and start using internet to check out the billings).

This will reduce the chance of getting identity theft...

Just aditional note: most fraudsters use spy glasses only during the winter times because it's very easy to conceal the wire in the back to the recorder box on his belt.. so it's hard to tell if he/she's wearing real glasses or not.

Good info.

Back