Sign Languages ban imposed on NJ girl

This is old news from 11 years ago. It's over.

Even if this story is old news, unfortunately problems like this one are still very relevant today.

why not not fair discrimination? hearing imparing? no reason not respect? !
what is point discimmation sound serious!

people discrimmation to people complaint to Sue to ban?

the false report post,is this in america?town called Clinton and the offence,is it wind up or for real

The ban was lifted April 26, 2001.

This story ticks me off. Signing is still freedom of speech. And as a school, which is a government agency, does not have the authority to ban speech. The first amendment is not something that enables or grants us our rights, it is a law set forth commanding the government that they can't mess around in such areas that we the people, the governments creator, says they can't do. I think the parents should send the school a letter demanding they cease infringement of the peoples rights or face a 1 month work suspension.

This story ticks me off. Signing is still freedom of speech. And as a school, which is a government agency, does not have the authority to ban speech. The first amendment is not something that enables or grants us our rights, it is a law set forth commanding the government that they can't mess around in such areas that we the people, the governments creator, says they can't do. I think the parents should send the school a letter demanding they cease infringement of the peoples rights or face a 1 month work suspension.

It seems to me that this problem would never arise with a hearing student. It seems like they just don't know how to handle or approach the situation because there is a deaf student involved. Telling a hearing impaired student that she can't sign would be the same thing as telling a hearing student that they cannot communicate with their peers during school hours. It is unfair, and she shouldn't receive special limitations only based on the fact that she is hearing impaired.

This is old news from 11 years ago. It's over.

Even if this story is old news, unfortunately problems like this one are still very relevant today.

To the passionate new ASL students, the infamy lives on forever, and they will not rest until they have spoken out for Deaf rights!!! :P

Back