Why Is Polygamy Frowned Upon By Christians and Others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug5

Reaction score
Their heros in the bible like David, Solomon, etc had multiple wives.

Why is it such a big taboo? Plus rulers in ancient times had multiple wives.

It seems if given a chance men will have multiple partners.

If my hubby attempts to get a 2nd wife, I am kicking his butt to the curb. I am not sharing him!

Because it's an archaic patriarchal institution. No woman in her right mind would sign up for it.

more population growth in my opinion. Plus, men would not get a woman if she is already married to one who have multiple wives.

I read about how the Mormon leader can pick out the wives and younger men usually get kicked out of mormon religion if they try to pick out a wife themselves. Not sure if it all true.
Reminds me of type of breed of monkeys where only the leader male can have all the women, and the others can not.

my dad believe in polygamy marriage even though he is more of a modern day mormon (the ones who don't believe in polygamy anymore). My mom told him if he even dare, she is leaving him.

Their heros in the bible like David, Solomon, etc had multiple wives.

Why is it such a big taboo? Plus rulers in ancient times had multiple wives.

It seems if given a chance men will have multiple partners.

Those bible marriage don't apply to us anymore.

Because it's a practice for distributing property and wealth among the people. Nowadays, since women and men are mostly equal, the reasons for marriage is vastly different from the 1950s... let alone thousands of years ago.

I completely understand why most women would be opposed to it. But if a man could find to women who are ok with it, why should it be illegal

I completely understand why most women would be opposed to it. But if a man could find to women who are ok with it, why should it be illegal

It is illegal because the United States Supreme Court, in fighting Mormonism back in the day, declared polygamy's illegality because we are a Christian nation. Polygamy goes against American culture, our mores/customs. Simple as that.

even some people who aren't christians don't think it should be legal. They don't think child marriage should be legal either.

Im not talking about child marriage, which is obviously wrong. So if gay marriage becomes legal, would polygamy be next?

Golden Rule also came from the Bible.

Let me put it the opposite way.... Would it be okay if a woman have more than one husband at the same time??? If a woman had a fallout with husband #1, she can go to bed with husband #2. In a polygamy, a man can do that and the woman who the husband had a fallout with, would be sleeping alone. To me, that is not fair. I know why men want polygamy... it had to do with power and control. That is my point of view.

I think Doug5 has a good point. If the women dont mind that then who are we to judge? It is illegal because Christians say so?

I can't helping thinking about that movie on Japan or China (can't remember which) that was about a very wealthy man who had multiple wives. According to these wives, it was very hard on them to share husband. I believe it because I know I would feel the same way.

Im not talking about child marriage, which is obviously wrong. So if gay marriage becomes legal, would polygamy be next?

Why are you coming across as gay marriages and polygamy being the same or similar? They are not.

I can't helping thinking about that movie on Japan or China (can't remember which) that was about a very wealthy man who had multiple wives. According to these wives, it was very hard on them to share husband. I believe it because I know I would feel the same way.

Ditto. That is why I prefer monogamy over anything else. If a man prefer polygamy, then I want to have more than one husband to even things up.

I think Doug5 has a good point. If the women dont mind that then who are we to judge. It is illegal because Christians say so?

No, because the Supreme Court said so. Its a fine line.

Golden Rule also came from the Bible.

Let me put it the opposite way.... Would it be okay if a woman have more than one husband at the same time??? If a woman had a fallout with husband #1, she can go to bed with husband #2. In a polygamy, a man can do that and the woman who the husband had a fallout with, would be sleeping alone. To me, that is not fair. I know why men want polygamy... it had to do with power and control. That is my point of view.

one is enough for me!

I think it would just cause too much confusion legally wise. Who get what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back