My RIGHTS to keep my Hearing Dog....

You gotta respect the hearing guide dog and don't mess with Deaf people !!!

^Angel^ said:
Actually this member didn't give out too much information as who the landlord is, and where the apartment is at that she is living in, so I highly doubt this will backfire at her during court....

Beside, a member has a right to vent, and get information that may help her case.....

Back to the topic, You're right , the landlord should let you know if anyone enter your apartment afterall you're paying rent there, they can just simple walk in without letting you know....

Another thing is, I'm not sure how the law covers for allowing a pet to live in an apartment, but my question is, how is the dog helping you? ...

I have a hearing dog and also have a dog certificate.

Cheri said:
I'm proud of you for standing up for your rights! Some landlords can be scum I have one of them, who is lazy to repair some requirements in my home, and he is one of those landlord that enter my home without my permission a few times. I only allowing the landlord to enter my home if there an emergency otherwise not for non-emergency.

One thing I wanted to ask you, Is that an assistance dog? If so, then landlord cannot get rid of your dog because ADA law says so. :thumb: I remember at the post office there a sign about allowing certain pets, such as assistance pets
ONLY. ;)

Good luck girl, Hope things go your way! :applause:

Yes, it is assistance dog. I have a dog certificate as a hearing dog.

coloravalanche said:
Yes, it is assistance dog. I have a dog certificate as a hearing dog.

coloravalanche,

Would you listen, please? You do NOT need a certificate "certifing" your dog as a hearing dog. It is NOT REQUIRED under the ADA and never will be, but people like you are trying to change that for those of us who train our own dogs. :thumbd: Knock it off already, okay?

pek1 said:
coloravalanche,

Would you listen, please? You do NOT need a certificate "certifing" your dog as a hearing dog. It is NOT REQUIRED under the ADA and never will be, but people like you are trying to change that for those of us who train our own dogs. :thumbd: Knock it off already, okay?

Aren't you alittle too hard on Coloravalanche? Maybe she is not aware the differences, No needed to tell her to knock it off. :thumb:

Cheri said:
Aren't you alittle too hard on Coloravalanche? Maybe she is not aware the differences, No needed to tell her to knock it off. :thumb:

I wrote her a quick note to check her thread.

pek1 said:
coloravalanche,

I understand your perspective however I disagree with you. It is ADA law to require for a Dog to have a Dog Certificate as a Hearing Dog. I'm not trying to change for those people who train their own dogs however the ADA Law passed and requires for Dog Certificate as a Hearing Dog. I don't see any wrong for anyone to train dogs on their own however it is just that the ADA Law passed and requires for Dog Certificate.

If I didn't have Dog Certificate as Hearing Dog...The Landlord wouldn't allow me to keep my dog 4 years ago....So, the landlord was trapped and saw that I had Dog Certificate...she couldn't do anything about it...so now...she is fighting for me to get kick out of my place and I am fighting my rights to keep my dog and my place also!

Cheri said:

I second that...no need for this person being too harsh on me...yes, I am aware the differences. I have enough knowledge about ADA Law...

Thanks for telling this person not need to tell me to knock it off...:thumb:

coloravalanche said:
I understand your perspective however I disagree with you. It is ADA law to require for a Dog to have a Dog Certificate as a Hearing Dog. I'm not trying to change for those people who train their own dogs however the ADA Law passed and requires for Dog Certificate as a Hearing Dog. I don't see any wrong for anyone to train dogs on their own however it is just that the ADA Law passed and requires for Dog Certificate.

If I didn't have Dog Certificate as Hearing Dog...The Landlord wouldn't allow me to keep my dog 4 years ago....So, the landlord was trapped and saw that I had Dog Certificate...she couldn't do anything about it...so now...she is fighting for me to get kick out of my place and I am fighting my rights to keep my dog and my place also!

coloravalanche,

Prove where in the ADA it is required. If I was thrown out for not having one for my hearing dog, I wouldn't stop suing. Where are you getting your information? Are you listening to a bunch of dumb bells that know nothing about the ADA? Get yourself educated and grow up...seriously. I have years experience with the ADA and NOWHERE is it said that a dog has to be "certified." IF you can find it, show me.

Here is the link: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/animal.htm

pek1 said:
coloravalanche,

Prove where in the ADA it is required. If I was thrown out for not having one for my hearing dog, I wouldn't stop suing. Where are you getting your information? Are you listening to a bunch of dumb bells that know nothing about the ADA? Get yourself educated and grow up...seriously. I have years experience with the ADA and NOWHERE is it said that a dog has to be "certified." IF you can find it, show me.

Here is the link: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/animal.htm

"Get yourself educated and grow up...seriously." is provoking statement that can anger us. I would suggest this statement like so: "Please actually read ADA policies and..." in which it is more constructive and encouraging rather than insulting one's intelligence whether they be inferior to yours or not.

In this case, I would recommend studying the *ACTUAL* ADA policies and to point out url that shows that dog must be certified. This will help us to be more educated about latest ADA development since it is everchanging.

2. Q: What is a service animal?

A: The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.

Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform for him or herself. "Seeing eye dogs" are one type of service animal, used by some individuals who are blind. This is the type of service animal with which most people are familiar. But there are service animals that assist persons with other kinds of disabilities in their day-to-day activities.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/qasrvc.htm

Some posts were removed from this thread. Watch with the name calling, people.

Thank you.

Even though the ADA specifically doesnt contain any language regarding certification for service animals. Many public agencies still ask for it especially HUD when they calculate the 'spend downs' in determining the eligibility for assistance.

And in the case of housing, building and apartment owners and their lawyers have been successful in getting what they want because the animal doesnt have a certificate or any 3rd party acknowledgement the service animal is for real.

In legal situations a certification stands better than your own words that the animal you have is a genuine service animal.

I'm speaking from a lot of experience in the courtrooms.

Richard

Pek, so even if the cert isn't required, her having one is even better, isn't it? In other words, even though the law, as you say, doesn't require the certificate, so what if she does? That's even better that she does have one and to keep insisting that she doesn't need one when she already does is wasting your time and energy emphasizing she doesn't need it. Having one is not a negative.

Nesmuth said:
Even though the ADA specifically doesnt contain any language regarding certification for service animals. Many public agencies still ask for it especially HUD when they calculate the 'spend downs' in determining the eligibility for assistance.

And in the case of housing, building and apartment owners and their lawyers have been successful in getting what they want because the animal doesnt have a certificate or any 3rd party acknowledgement the service animal is for real.

In legal situations a certification stands better than your own words that the animal you have is a genuine service animal.

I'm speaking from a lot of experience in the courtrooms.

Richard

What the heck? You can't GET CERTIFICATION. Richard, you of all people with "a lot of experience in the courtroom" should know this. There is no legal certification process for any kind of service animal. There are no state programs that say, "Hey, the state of CA certifies this animal as a deaf guide dog" or "The ADA certifies this dog as a blind guide dog."

You can get certification. We have certified dozens of animals. We've certified animal dogs, cats, ferrets, a goat, and even 'Mushu' the pot bellied pig that has made the news years ago. HUD and Immigration have referred people with animals to our agency for certification services and we've been doing this for almost 5 years and we have never had any problems.

Richard

That's like the Universal Life Church ordaining just about anyone to become a minister. I can pay 12 bucks and I can now insist that you call me "Minister Dennis" but it doesn't mean a damn thing. I could also pay $3,500 and get a Ph.D from "Columbia State University" and insist that you call me "Doctor Dennis." It doesn't legally mean a damn thing!

If your organization "certifies" a pet, then it's really a TAX on STUPID or GULLIBLE PEOPLE who PAY YOU to do something that isn't needed!

I've got the proof on my side:

http://www.guidedogsofamerica.org/business.html

2. Q: What is a service animal?

A: The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.

You're not even a government official!

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I bet you go around telling people they need to do it, and you'll do the certification for a special, one time, low down fee of 4 monthly payments of $29.99 and you'll even throw in a free set of ginsu knives. The bottom line is, if you do it without letting people know that they don't need to do it, you're nothing more than a theiving shyster preying on vulnerable clients.

Certification is entirely private. Programs may certify (like canine companions for independence or paws with a cause or SPCA hearing dog program) or an individual trainer may certify. But there's not a law that standardizes any kind of certification. Nothing is to say that a person who trains their own hearing dog cant certify their own dog unless there's a state law that says it has to be a nonprofit organization. Yeah this makes for a lot of problems with untrained dogs or whatever but it is good cuz not everyone can wait to get a hearing dog from a program. But the federal ADA law says that anyone can even train their own hearing dog. My hearing dog isn't certified. Because of that she is protected by federal law but not by my state law.

State law cannot simply trump federal law. The ADA cannot simply be ignored by the state, as the law clearly states that certification is NOT required. That means that a state cannot require certification in any way.

You can certainly have something set up in where the state will certify guide dogs and then recognize that certification from whatever authorized agencies they grant certification to, but the state cannot require you to certify your guide dog.

Again, it's just a way for someone to get money off you that you don't need to spend.

Back