Does insurance cover TTY?

Pomeranian said:

your welcome... smile

---------------------

angel- ... ofc if you have house insurance .. then it will cover everything up! .. but for some other ppl can't afford cause of expensive insurance to cover anything ... i need to do mine soon!!

:)

TOF

SpiceHD said:
hmm thats good question u got there ravensteve... makes me wonder if insurance will cover everything else as well.. like hearing aids? cochlear implant? doorbell alert? phone alert? even baby alert? hmm what about fire alert? what about everything else that deaf people uses? i think they should cover tty but i have no idea if they actually do or not...

Thats good idea angel.. but doesnt that only works for home owners? what about apartment renters? does anything cover for apartment renters? hmm..

sorry im full of questions.. im pretty young and never have any insurance on anything not even on a car before (yea i know i should and obviously ohio's law is to required for car insurance) but it does make me curious and wondering about those stuff

by the way sorry if it seem to be offtopic (?)

Try All-State Insurance they have insurance coverage for renters like us....

http://home-insurance.allstate.com/renters-insurance.aspx

Cheri said:
Try All-State Insurance they have insurance coverage for renters like us....

http://home-insurance.allstate.com/renters-insurance.aspx

What about insurance coverage buying those type of items? Does Medicare cover it? I have had the wife call. We never get a straight answer. Are those people snobs or just to lazy to check? Then I get referred to go to the TTY number. I can't even afford one of them either.
I can't even have hearing aids because I can't afford them. I have over 90% loss in both ears.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated... thx :cool:

C.C.Sinned said:
What about insurance coverage buying those type of items? Does Medicare cover it? I have had the wife call. We never get a straight answer. Are those people snobs or just to lazy to check? Then I get referred to go to the TTY number. I can't even afford one of them either.
I can't even have hearing aids because I can't afford them. I have over 90% loss in both ears.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated... thx :cool:

If you don't have a TTY just tell them that. You can go on line and use a Ip Relay service, http://www.relaycall.com/national/relay.html Make sure you have Java downloaded it would only work if you have Java. Unfortunately, hearing aids are not typically covered, But U.S. program of the Hearing Foundation, provides hearing aids to adults and children who are legal residents of the US... The number is 1-800-648-4327, by fax at 952-828-6946 or by mail at 6700 Washington Avenue S, Eden Prairie, MN 55344. But that phone number is voice not TTY. Or State Vocational Rehabilitation Programs. Here's the link to find one in your hometown....http://www.parac.org/svrp.html
All-State covered personal items in your home such as furitures, jeweries, TTY and other stuff call them and ask them what coverage that would cost for you.

I think we have two separate topics here that are being confused.

1. Will health insurance pay for the initial purchase of a TTY and other assistive equipment (pagers, flasher alarms, etc.) and hearing aids?

2. Will homeowner/renter insurance pay to reimburse the loss or destruction of such devices?

Two totally separate issues.

Thank You!!!

Cheri said:
If you don't have a TTY just tell them that. You can go on line and use a Ip Relay service, http://www.relaycall.com/national/relay.html Make sure you have Java downloaded it would only work if you have Java. Unfortunately, hearing aids are not typically covered, But U.S. program of the Hearing Foundation, provides hearing aids to adults and children who are legal residents of the US... The number is 1-800-648-4327, by fax at 952-828-6946 or by mail at 6700 Washington Avenue S, Eden Prairie, MN 55344. But that phone number is voice not TTY. Or State Vocational Rehabilitation Programs. Here's the link to find one in your hometown....http://www.parac.org/svrp.html
All-State covered personal items in your home such as furitures, jeweries, TTY and other stuff call them and ask them what coverage that would cost for you.

Thank You!!! That was a huge help... Dennis

To qualify for a Medicare covered Scooter or Powered Wheelchair, you have to meet a number of criteria. Including that your not able to use a manual wheelchair by yourself. So it's not quite that they just give one to anyone who asks (though those Scooter Store Commercials make you think so).

The key difference between a Scooter/Wheel Chair and a TTY. Is the TTY is considered optional. One of the prerequesites for Medicare Coverage of a Powered Wheelchair/Scooter is that you need to use a Wheelchair to get around your home. While one could argue the TTY is a crucial device, you could actually still make do without the phone, even have your neighbors call for you.

The AARP argument doesn't work because many of those same people who qualify for Wheelchairs or Scooters are hard of hearing.

Issue 1: If I am deaf or hard of hearing, will the MEDICAL insurance company pay for me to get a TTY?

Answer: NO.

Then how the hell do I get a TTY for free or cheap?

Answer: Contact your state's Assistive Technology Program. All 50 U.S. states have some sort of program that finds out what you're eligible to get from the state for free or for cheap. Reba listed links above, if you don't want to go to the effort to get them from the state, then you don't deserve their help.

Issue 2: Will renter/homeowner/fire/theft/natural disaster insurance cover my broken/stolen/destroyed TTY (or other assistive device like CapTel, doorbell light flasher, wheelchair, etc.).

Answer: YES -- if you're paying to have it covered. Make sure it's covered under your policy and that you're paying the right fees to have it covered.

It depends on the nature of the insurance companies. According to my information there are number of the companies that are indulged in the TTY insurance, You must contact to the sale Representative of the Insurance companies.

Back