Does insurance cover TTY?

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
Will insurance pay for a TTY? It is a health equpiment. Just like scooters are.

ravensteve1961 said:
Will insurance pay for a TTY? It is a health equpiment. Just like scooters are.

Erm, I'm probably talking out of my rear-end here, because, I don't use the TTY. However, I'm inclined to think insurance wouldn't cover it. TTY is a communication device, and therefore, not what is considered "durable medical equipment". Some durable medical equipment is covered under insurances. Things like crutches, wheelchairs, and orthopedic braces. Howeve, since TTY is considered a communication assitive device, you could try the phone company, and see if you couldn't get a break on your phone bill. That might be doable.

Well Look at electric scooters. Elderly uses them and medicare pays for it. Scooters are not health equipment so why dont they tell the elderly go buy a wheelchair. You know why medicare pays for scooters? Cause AARP PRESSURES MEDICARE To Be nice to them or theyre start running some politicans out of office just like AARP is starting siding with the democrats now because of bushs new social security bill to make the elderly take their retirement into gambling.

ravensteve1961 said:
Well Look at electric scooters. Elderly uses them and medicare pays for it. Scooters are not health equipment so why dont they tell the elderly go buy a wheelchair. You know why medicare pays for scooters? Cause AARP PRESSURES MEDICARE To Be nice to them or theyre start running some politicans out of office just like AARP is starting siding with the democrats now because of bushs new social security bill to make the elderly take their retirement into gambling.

Steve, that's not true. Scooters aren't just used by the elderly. Physically disabled people also use scooters. You're confusing something here. Scooters and wheelchairs are considered DURABLE MEDICAL EQUIPMENT, and that is why medicaid/medicare covers them. I don't know what category TTY falls under, but I'm reasonably sure the TTY is not considered durable medical equipment, and that's why it's not covered. I would do what Reba suggested since she's more knowledgable about this than I am.

Good luck

RS,

Try these contacts:

Maryland:
Maryland Technology Assistance Program (TAP) (1989)
Governor's Office for Individuals with Disabilities
2301 Argonne Drive, Room T17
Baltimore, MD 21218
Executive Director: Michael Dalto
Phone/TTY: 800.832.4827
Phone/TTY: 410.554.9230
Fax: 410.554.9237
Email: mdtap@mdtap.org
Web: http://www.mdtap.org

Florida:
Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology (FAAST Inc.) (1992)
325 John Knox Road, Bldg. B
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4151
Executive Director: Jane Johnson
Phone: 850.487.3278
Fax: 850.487.2805
TTY: 850.921.5951
Email: faast@faast.org
Web: http://faast.org

Doesnt say anything about deaf services reba,,,Its a golf recovery program..Im not playing golf.

Steve, try VR and they may help you with the TTY and flasher and dont forget the job too.

Ravensteve, I just double-checked
Florida website. You are right about
this Florida organization have nothing to do
with Deafies at all...
just with another kind of disabilities...

I even consider that all TTYs should be covered
by insurance as part of medical issues
for communications.

Pomeranian said:
Steve, try VR and they may help you with the TTY and flasher and dont forget the job too.
Flasher? :ugh:
flasher.gif

oh well most ppl buying tty as ultrasound from jcpenney or sears *thru the order* ... and also VR pays that tty for ya but you dont takin any insurance on it.. so Let VR takes care of it if your tty broke or not working so VR will replace it for ya! depends it limited ... I talked to medicaid company to see if it able to cover my tty for insurance.. they said NO .. samething as my medicare! .. nothing news , i guess!

oh pls.. she means that phone flasher , fire flasher , other devices which got flasher.. duh!

Geez!!! what a sicko you are!

TOF

TongueOnFire said:
oh well most ppl buying tty as ultrasound from jcpenney or sears *thru the order* ... and also VR pays that tty for ya but you dont takin any insurance on it.. so Let VR takes care of it if your tty broke or not working so VR will replace it for ya! depends it limited ... I talked to medicaid company to see if it able to cover my tty for insurance.. they said NO .. samething as my medicare! .. nothing news , i guess!

oh pls.. she means that phone flasher , fire flasher , other devices which got flasher.. duh!

Geez!!! what a sicko you are!

TOF

Thanks

I add everything that I own in this house inculding the tty in case my house burnt down or if someone breaks in and rob things, and yes the insurance do cover for tty since I did told the man that it worth 3 hundred dollars,

So I'm pretty sure most insurance will cover tty since it not cheap as a regular phone....

hmm thats good question u got there ravensteve... makes me wonder if insurance will cover everything else as well.. like hearing aids? cochlear implant? doorbell alert? phone alert? even baby alert? hmm what about fire alert? what about everything else that deaf people uses? i think they should cover tty but i have no idea if they actually do or not...

Thats good idea angel.. but doesnt that only works for home owners? what about apartment renters? does anything cover for apartment renters? hmm..

sorry im full of questions.. im pretty young and never have any insurance on anything not even on a car before (yea i know i should and obviously ohio's law is to required for car insurance) but it does make me curious and wondering about those stuff

by the way sorry if it seem to be offtopic (?)

Back