So my baby didn't pass her hearing screening

My two year old granddaughter passed her newborn screening and then didn't meet any milestones and learn speech.
Just in the past few months she was reassessed .
So I am not convinced of the reliability of those tests.
I agree. Babies tend to be alert at different levels.

So, if they're testing their hearing through alerts... how do they know it's the sound that's triggering the response? Could it be vibrations? Could it be movement? Could it be just random luck?

First of all, Congrats on your birth of new baby girl! Name? When born? Is there other thread that I may missed?

My friend's daughter did not pass her hearing test, and I believe she still not passed at 3 months hearing test (gotta ask). MOST important is baby's healthy!! I do not care if hearing or deaf.

Did I miss something? When was your daughter born, Alex?

Congratulations and I wouldn't worry about your daughter, enjoy her for who she is.

I argee with Lissa, enjoy her because she was born this way :)
omg, guess I've been listening to Lady Gaga's "Born this way" alot *I blame my sister since she's a gaga fan*

Congrats on your baby girl, Alex!!!!

For her right ear, that is. The audiologist said she failed the test twice already and she'll have to take another one in a month from now.

Not that it's a "problem" to us or anything like that, but we were wondering if anyone here had their baby fail her/his hearing screening then passed later on?

By the way, my partner and I were not born like this, and there is no one in our family who is hearing impaired.

Discuss! :mrgreen:

Like some people here said, don't put too much faith in the hearing tests at the moment. The likelihood of a baby being born with hearing loss increases with both of the parents being deaf though. I have known some deaf people who were not born deaf yet their babies were born deaf. So it's possible that their genes may have mutated somewhere along the way.

However, there is still time to determine your baby's hearing status sometimes in the short future. Meanwhile, congratulations on the birth of your baby! :)

Alex,

Greetings to your little girl! But please, she deserves a proper welcome with pictures, stats, etc., in her own Introductions thread. :giggle: The picture is cute but too tiny.

Congratulations to the proud new mamma and papa! :)

I hope mamma is also doing well.

She is so cute in the picture that I can almost smell the baby powder. I send blessings and hope that she is always as smart and happy as she can possibly be. I also hope that is always surrounded by loving and supported people, that she never know hunger or strife. How could it ever be otherwise in her family? Especially with Uncle Jiro to help watch out for her, eh? What a blessing she is!

Yeah, think it happened recently to one of my colleagues, she got a bit overly concerned over it.
It doesn't seem uncommon to fail it, but you're likely gonna be teaching her regardless, right? :wave:

Wirelessly posted

VamPyroX said:
My two year old granddaughter passed her newborn screening and then didn't meet any milestones and learn speech.
Just in the past few months she was reassessed .
So I am not convinced of the reliability of those tests.
I agree. Babies tend to be alert at different levels.

So, if they're testing their hearing through alerts... how do they know it's the sound that's triggering the response? Could it be vibrations? Could it be movement? Could it be just random luck?

they measure the brain's reaction to sound, not the baby's.

Wirelessly posted

No they don't. They only use ABR if they fail the otoacoustic emissions test first.

Sorry to interupt your thread Alex, and your daughter is beautiful.

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
Wirelessly posted

No they don't. They only use ABR if they fail the otoacoustic emissions test first.

Sorry to interupt your thread Alex, and your daughter is beautiful.

i think it is different in different places. I know that the recommedation is to do both (since they screen for different things.) but neither test requires a response from the child. (that is what i was responding to)

(and yes, congratulations alex. I'm sure your baby will do beautifully deaf or hearing!)

Awwww, what a sweetheart, I agree with the others that further testing is needed.

Congrats and wishing your family all the best!
Paisley,

90% of deaf babies are born to hearing parents...so the 10% left has to go somewhere. :) Follow-up soon, as you know. :) Good luck. I've seen her picture...she's a cutie!

Back