What are some of the disadvantages of being deaf?

kokonut

Reaction score
Now, before y'all get huffy and red-faced, consider this question for a moment (and I can just predict how some will respond here, too). This question here is like when you're in a job interview and the person asks you to name some of the cons about yourself after you highlighted several pages of pros about yourself. This is an offshoot from an earlier thread on the advantages of being deaf. Now, what are the disadvantages of being deaf?

:hmm:

Not able to use the voice phone and no efficent communication skills with hearing customers and co workers in a communication heavy environment.

^^ a few good examples. Ive encountered horrible difficulty with people being unwilling to cooperate with me deaf. Most hearing people dont have an outlook like deaf/hoh do.

Went to local college, teachers wouldnt cooperate..FAIL

Dealing with people who think they're superior and smarter than you are because of your deafness. I'd mention those oral deaf who make fun of the ASL deaf and think they're better than those who use sign. I can think of at least one but I won't mention his name. :P

^^ a few good examples. Ive encountered horrible difficulty with people being unwilling to cooperate with me deaf. Most hearing people dont have an outlook like deaf/hoh do.

Went to local college, teachers wouldnt cooperate..FAIL

Good examples.

Dealing with people who think they're superior and smarter than you are because of your deafness. I'd mention those oral deaf who make fun of the ASL deaf and think they're better than those who use sign. I can think of at least one but I won't mention his name. :P

Maybe my prediction did come true?

All I can think of is........not being able to hear.
Everything else is possible.

Not being able to listen to music on long road trips....that's tough.

As an oral deafie: not being able to participate in the group conversations of hearies. It's made much worse by the hearies being unwilling to make small changes that would allow me to join in.

Family that doesn't believe me when I say I can't hear them when they are walking away.

People who assume you hear when you go out and you have to try to get your point across (cashiers and those people) while at the same time when you tell them you can't hear will mumble and look down at the cash so you can't see what they're saying.

From the Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto lessons-how to deal with your hearing loss-don't hear: say so-right there! Don't bluff.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Really,are you serious? Why so bitter.
So, the rest of the people who responded and gave examples on the disadvantages of being deaf as being bitter?

I just see them as recognizing the advantages and disadvantages of being deaf. It's the ol' Ying/Yang thing.

Family that doesn't believe me when I say I can't hear them when they are walking away.

People who assume you hear when you go out and you have to try to get your point across (cashiers and those people) while at the same time when you tell them you can't hear will mumble and look down at the cash so you can't see what they're saying.

I can relate to that sometimes. :/

- Can't hear what they say, of course. Especially everything that I am not able to hear.

- If a huge object hammers you down but you can't hear it from behind, so it could harm or kill you. Same with some animals.

- During night time, you may have to stay alert and wary wherever you go if you're alone (or you're only with one friend, one relative, or someone you personally know).

- If a boss find out that you're deaf, he or she may deny your application so quiet. He or she could call/text/v-phone you and lie to you in order to avoid having you at any career. It is not matter if you're signer, or even if you have your great speech skills (see "A").
A.) Which do you think someone would pick? Oralist A with skillful speech & fantastic listening skills, or Oralist B with poor speech ability but good talking? Go figure...

Hmmm... I am not sure if I can think of more...

Over the years and thru the courses of time...I can think of thousands of disadvantages of being deaf....Since a HA or a CI would not benefit me...I've learned and accepted it, and deal with it!..No excuses, no pity...and no shame!

One was when my kids were little, I had a hard time letting them in another room or out of my sight. I was always afraid I would not hear them if they called out for help.

Not being able to hear someone sneak up on me unintentionally. I am suprised I have not killed anyone yet doing that.

Being left out in group conversation among hearing people.

Too many to list.

In saying that.... I have learned to adapt and deal with the situation. Many of my friends and family are understanding and they do learn in time.

I'm not deaf, but I would agree with BabyBlue about the group conversations. Also, going to a play where there is no terp. I brought my son to see my cousin in the play, "Annie" and I knew he was not hearing what they were saying. I was sitting next to him, interpreting what was being said. He was using his peripheral vision while watching the play. After about 15 min, he turned his body away from me so he couldn't see me. I took his cue, and after we left I asked why he did that. He said a lady was staring at us. I went on to explain to him why she was looking, but it still broke my heart.

I still wonder what a man who came to the door when I was the only one home was talking about.

He was showing me sheets of coupons that are in newspaper inserts. I don't open the door to strangers, and I just signed to him that I am deaf.

He took that as a cue to hold the coupons closer to the window, but I still have no idea what he wanted.

Not able to use the voice phone and no efficent communication skills with hearing customers and co workers in a communication heavy environment.

Yup, that's one of biggest issue that I had deal with it.

For this thread, unable to hear the door ring and big sucks for UPS or Fedex that require a signature, however there is alternative, just write a note and leave on front door or use flash door ring.

For me, my life will be much more challenge and getting more tough because I do have usher syndrome and already have vision impairment so having a tunnel vision will happen in around 30's to 50's, even late 20's in extreme case so I have to prepare before it occur, especially on future plan. I cannot imagine to be deafblind person.

Back