New Gallaudet President Met With Protest

M

Mookie

New Gallaudet President Met With Protest
Provost Is Trustees' Unanimous Pick, but Some Students Call Her Aloof

By Susan Kinzie
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 2, 2006; A01

Gallaudet University's provost, Jane K. Fernandes, was named its president yesterday, promoting her to head the school for the deaf and setting off an instant protest by hundreds of students who preferred other candidates.

The trustees picked Fernandes to replace I. King Jordan, who made history 18 years ago when protesting students demanded a deaf president for the school, which many consider the cultural center of the deaf community.

Within moments of the announcement, a mass of students had blocked the main gates of the campus in Northeast Washington. They shouted, climbed onto the stone fences and one another's shoulders to sign to the growing crowd, and scrawled angry words on bare stomachs in thick black paint.

Some complained that the board of trustees once again was ignoring the campus community; some decried the lack of racial diversity among the finalists. For Fernandes, who is white, the criticism often centered on personality; some said she was cold, aloof, condescending.

"She doesn't say 'hi,' " one student's poster read, along with a new rallying cry: "Better president now."

But Fernandes, who has been at Gallaudet for 11 years and provost since 2000, was the unanimous choice of the board. She had strong supporters, and even some of her critics said she had the strongest credentials of the three finalists.

"It's very emotional for everyone right now, but I think people will see that she can be a good leader for Gally," said Benjamin Lewis, a senior from San Francisco. "She sends the message that this will be an inclusive university."

Eighteen years after students marched to the White House and the Capitol demanding a "Deaf President Now" and launching a civil rights movement, this generation of students has new expectations and new demands.

This time, all the finalists were deaf, and many said that that in itself was cause for celebration.

"We made history once again," said interim board chairman Celia May Baldwin, "because for the first time we have had open discussions and even debates on campus" about which deaf person could best lead Gallaudet. Baldwin added that the board is thrilled to have someone of Fernandes's caliber taking the job.

But for others, the selection -- which was watched closely not only on campus but also across the country through videos of speeches in American Sign Language and on Web sites filled with emotional debate -- was still divisive.

Things have changed profoundly for deaf people in the generation that followed those who protested in 1988. When the board -- then made up mostly of hearing people -- reversed a decision and chose Jordan to lead the school, it became known as "the day the world heard Gallaudet."

Deaf people talk about pre- and post-DPN (the Deaf President Now movement) and compare Jordan to the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. for his impact. So since Jordan announced that he would be stepping down at the end of the calendar year, the deaf community has anticipated his successor with intense interest.

Faculty members passed resolutions and signed petitions, alumni sent e-mails and hundreds of students rallied last month. There were so many hits on a Web site on the topic that it froze after the announcement yesterday afternoon.

Students said the vast majority of them did not want Fernandes to be president; they preferred Ronald J. Stern, superintendent and chief executive of the New Mexico School for the Deaf, or Stephen F. Weiner, an associate professor and former dean at Gallaudet.

Although some said the board had made a great effort to get outside opinions, others disagreed.

Some were angry that all of the finalists were white. Some wanted a candidate who would promote "cultural deafness," preferring those who grew up deaf and relied on American Sign Language. Fernandes learned to sign when she was a young woman and can communicate well by speaking or by signing.

Some said they didn't like Fernandes because they thought she was too strict.

And some questioned whether she could be a strong advocate and shine in a role that is so public. "Can she lead a university that represents deaf people to the world?" said Jesse Thomas, a junior from Philadelphia. "I don't think so."

When Fernandes's name was announced at a campus conference center, some students cheered and waggled their fingers in the air to applaud, but a few booed, and a steady stream left as she spoke.

She continued on, stressing that she would work to improve relations with students over the next eight months -- the transition period before Jordan steps down -- and that they would get to know a new Jane Fernandes. The role of provost is very different from the role of president, she said afterward.

She said it will be hard to follow Jordan. "I'm more of a quiet leader," she said. "Quiet but effective -- I have a different style."

She said a priority will be forging unity. "Because we have so many different aspects of the deaf community," different ways of communicating, different backgrounds and different priorities, "we need Gallaudet to pull all of these together. I think I can help to do that."

And, she added, "it's important for me to clearly say that I see ASL as the fabric that holds together Gallaudet's diverse community. So Gallaudet will always be a signing university. We will always use visual communication. We will always use that."

Jordan wrote in an e-mail after the announcement that the board had considered a tremendous amount of feedback and would not revisit the decision. He added his own strong endorsement of Fernandes, praising her experience as an administrator and scholar.

At the front gate, students were chanting with their hands and banging on drums. Some held banners that read, "Know Thy Enemy," a slogan that for weeks has been on T-shirts with a picture of Fernandes. A student leader stood high above the crowd, asking them what they wanted to tell the board.

"We want to be heard," he signed. They yelled and jumped as he signed again, forcefully, "We want to be heard!"

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Oh man! ok im netural in this but i can tell u its going to become widespread on this issue. this will be the world that saw galludet protest once again!

Here are Gally Pictures....

Attachments

• Pix1.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Pix2.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 37
  • pix3.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 33
  • pix4.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 30
  • pix5.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 28
  • pix6.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 25
  • pix7.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 27
  • pix8.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 29
  • pix9.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 27
  • pix10.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 34
Students Protest New Gallaudet President
Trustees, Students Disagree

POSTED: 8:36 am EDT May 2, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Trustees at Gallaudet University have picked a new president, but a lot of students aren't happy with the choice.

Monday, Jane Fernandes, the school's provost for the last seven years, was named the new president. She will replace I. King Jordan, the school's first hearing-impaired president, who is now retiring.
9144778_240X180.jpg

Students upset over the choice blocked the main entrance to the university, located in northeast Washington, and more demonstrations are planned for today.

Students told News4 that Fernandes is the wrong replacement for Jordan. Protesting students described her as a cold and condescending person.

One student told News4, through an interpreter, that Fernandes treats the students like children.

"We are not children and we don't want to be treated as if we were children," Trevor Baldwin said. "As for her to be chosen as our president, we are in utter shock, so we are in the process now to contact the board of trustees to find out why it is they selected her."

Fernandez did address the student body Monday and during her speech she said that it would be important to try and unify the campus as soon as possible. But there were some students who walked out on that speech and others booed.
Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Nesmuth said:

I do not understand why Gallaudet students protest against her. I watched her ASL proficiently is very clear and beautiful ! :dunno:

I think, she will be a great to be a President for the Gallaudet to give alot of support to the Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deaf-Blind students.

why are they objecting about her?

Kalista said:
I do not understand why Gallaudet students protest against her. I watched her ASL proficiently is very clear and beautiful ! :dunno:

I think, she will be a great to be a President for the Gallaudet to give alot of support to the Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deaf-Blind students.

You need to collect whole info from your favorable person...

Mookie said:
Here are Gally Pictures....
Wow... 90 KB for pictures that small? Oh wait, they're BMP. Gee... if they were in JPG, they could be bigger. :(

Anyway, I think that the students are being stupid with the protest. They knew about all the candidates. They had plenty of time to express their opinion.

When NTID was looking for a new Vice President, a lot of students showed up to the candidates' presentations. They gave a lot of feedback and helped NTID choose.

VamPyroX said:
When NTID was looking for a new Vice President, a lot of students showed up to the candidates' presentations. They gave a lot of feedback and helped NTID choose.

I think that is something G.U. could learn from NTID on that one. The DPN of 1988 was a one time event. Hopefully the next time around, Gallaudet has to decide then they will show a better degree of being more mature and show their strong good points in a better manner.

Porvost Fernandes does not sign fluent ASL. This is probably a huge factor in many student's dislike for her. She also has a tendency to be snobbish, and also known for not being a "people person".
The students already voiced out, already printed in the student newspaper, The Buff And Blue that Stern was the people's president with 81% favoring Stern, 58% supporting Steve Weiner, and a measly 13% supported Fernandes.
I wil post the stats from the newspoaper article.

SBG
Stern Yes 81% NO 16%
Weiner Yes 58% No 36%
Fernandes Yes 13% No 81%

GSA (Graduate Student Assoication)

Stern Yes 71% No 23%
Weiner Yes 48% No 46%
Fernandes yes 25% No 66%

The board of trustees let the community of Gallaudet down by picking Provost Fernandes to suceed President Jordan.

Kalista said:

I dont know. I know for sure that Jane has a strong paternalist leadership style but she's safest choice for the university's survival considering the dangerously sophomoric 'bloodlines' of the other 2 candidiates.

The students are free to make their protests, make their pictures ,make their videos, and if Ryan Commerson wants to start a hunger strike he's free to do that too. Let the students vent for all as they can and then they can move on with their lives once they get it all out of their systems.

Richard

What's going on there now ? Do u mean that
there is a Protest going on there today and for the
entire week there on the campus ???

Is the lady actually deaf in some way or is she pretending to be?

pek1 said:
Is the lady actually deaf in some way or is she pretending to be?

She's really deaf. Been deaf her whole life, from my research. Raised orally, but learned to sign when she was an adult.

VamPyroX said:
Wow... 90 KB for pictures that small? Oh wait, they're BMP. Gee... if they were in JPG, they could be bigger. :(

Anyway, I think that the students are being stupid with the protest. They knew about all the candidates. They had plenty of time to express their opinion.

VamPyroX,
Can you or anyone give me a tip how to change from BMP to JPG on Adobe Photoshop?

Thanks...

Kalista said:

Because she is not "Deaf" enough for them, isn't that a bigot? Actually they wanted a big "D" not a small d. If this leader grows up in a deaf school and came from a deaf family, it should be run the whole school. The education of this person is Not the first priority. I guess they want a leader who is not well educated, but is "Deaf" enough for them.

Ideas Exchanged as Protest Continues at Gallaudet

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/02/AR2006050201694.html

For a second straight day, students at Gallaudet University protested the appointment of a new president, with at times hundreds rallying at the front gate of the campus yesterday and demanding that the choice be reconsidered.

Jane K. Fernandes, the university provost who was named Monday to succeed the popular I. King Jordan, spent part of the afternoon facing angry students and promising to open a dialogue.

Jordan, who made history 18 years ago as Gallaudet's first deaf president, said the board of trustees' decision was final and the right choice.

Since the selection of Fernandes, who is also deaf, students have camped out in protest. Women coming home from a Monday dance in cocktail dresses stepped over pizza boxes at a midnight rally. Early yesterday, bleary students woke up, shivered, swallowed coffee, then blocked the entrances to the Northeast Washington campus and made their demands.

After their meeting with Fernandes yesterday, many students yelled, turned their backs and returned to the gates, taping up yellow banners reading, "NOT WITHOUT US."

They said they do not like Fernandes's leadership style, the way the search was performed and the feeling that they have been ignored.

One alumnus said the disagreement was between those who want Gallaudet to be an academic institution and those who want it to be the center of deaf culture. Some students said the fight was about means of communication, as technology and medicine change the experience of deafness. Others said the issue was racial diversity: A strong black candidate did not even make the top three, they said.

The National Black Deaf Advocates held a news conference yesterday at a church in Northwest Washington and expressed similar concerns.

The Gallaudet faculty called a special meeting for Monday to discuss resolutions about the presidential selection and the search process.

It has been an emotional tangle since Jordan announced that he would step down at the end of the year. The last presidential search, in 1988, sent protesters marching to the board of trustees meeting, the Capitol and the White House, as students demanded -- and got -- a deaf president. It was a turning point for the deaf community.

This time, all the finalists were deaf. But since the Deaf President Now protests that brought in Jordan, the head of Gallaudet is expected to be much more than an academic leader.

"Jane Fernandes doesn't have the ability to be the next icon of the deaf," signed Sara Stallard, a graduate student. "She doesn't have the ability to speak for us all."

Polls in the student paper registered minuscule support for Fernandes, and nearly two-thirds of faculty members who responded to a poll said she was "unacceptable."

Some people were angry that despite that message, she was chosen by the board.

Students made their demands yesterday morning: Reopen the search process, they said, and promise no reprisals for protesters.

After 1 1/2 hours of talks, Fernandes and Jordan came to the gatehouse near Florida Avenue, and a few of the student leaders said they now believe the search process was fair. The students encouraged the crowd to ask questions, and a long and heated back-and-forth began with hundreds watching.

How could Fernandes expect to lead without support on campus? one student asked. Fernandes responded that many such conversations would help her build support during the eight-month transition period.

She apologized if she seemed disrespectful of students in the past and promised to do better to be more visible and personable.

Jordan told them this is not another Deaf President Now movement -- it's not a civil rights issue. A student said, "No, they didn't listen to us," just as the board ignored student demands in 1988.

Jordan said: "Students were heard. They just didn't agree with you."

"Are we going to back down? No!" a woman signed, and a roar of agreement rolled through the crowd. Sophomore Christopher Corrigan ran, waving people back to the gates, where blankets still lay on the road from the night before. Some students followed him.

"This is our home until they make the right decision," he said.

Back