Smoker and non-smoker

Smoker and Non-smoker

• Is it okay to smoke in your house? If yes, why?

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Is it okay to not smoke in your house? If yes, why?

Votes: 56 96.6%

• Total voters
I perfer to smoke outside as much as possible but the cold alway kept me inside :( and now it became habit for me to smoke inside my own house but if i ever get a house.. i certainly will make sure only ONE place somewhere allowed smoking but any others is big no no.

I don't let anyone smoke in my house because I don't like smoke smell and I have asthma. Smokers always ask me first if they could smoke inside and I tell them no, but can smoke outside.

heard from someone, they said if babies live in a house where someone smokes 24/7, the higher chance of baby getting SIDS. :cry:

I forbidden from anyone smoking in my place... they can go outside and I won't set up any chairs for them. In cold winters, too bad for them! In my car... on LONG trip... MUST have window open and blow out the window... its a rare case I would ever let anyone smoke in my car.

The Truth About How Second-Hand Smoke Travels In Your Home

Many people are misinformed about how they can protect their families from second - hand smoke. Do any of the following myths sound familiar?

MYTH #1: If I smoke in another room, I'm not harming anyone.

THE TRUTH: Second-hand smoke spreads from one room to another even if the door of the smoking area is closed. In addition, harmful chemicals can cling to rugs, curtains, clothes and other materials and can usually remain in a room long after someone has smoked there.

MYTH #2: If I open a window in my home or car, I can get rid of most of my second-hand smoke.

THE TRUTH: You may think that by opening a window you are clearing the smoke from a room or your car, but that is not the case. To effectively remove cigarette smoke, you need to increase the air-exchange rate a thousand times to something equal to a gale force wind!

In addition, opening a car or room window can result in air flow back into the room or car which may cause the smoke to be blown directly back at non-smokers.

MYTH #3: If I smoke when my children aren't home or in the car, it can't hurt them.

THE TRUTH: Many parents think that it's alright to smoke when their children aren't around. What they may not know is that second-hand smoke lingers long after they finish a cigarette. In a recent study, researchers found that second-hand smoke can remain in contaminated dust and surfaces, even if smoking took place days, weeks or months earlier.

MYTH #4: If I use an air filter or a fan, my second-hand smoke won't hurt anyone.

THE TRUTH: The sad truth is that even air filters, air purifiers and ventilation systems are not enough. After a smoker leaves a room, chemicals from the second-hand smoke remain behind in the air, on food, furniture, curtains and skin. Most ventilation systems are designed to limit the build-up of carbon monoxide and keep odour down, not to remove smoke.

Source: Health Canada

The Health Effects of Second-Hand Smoke

Second-hand smoke affects your family differently depending on their age and their health. Second-hand smoke hurts everyone, but it is especially dangerous to little ones because their lungs are still growing and developing. Because they are smaller, babies and children breathe more quickly and take in more harmful chemicals for their size than adults do. In addition, their immune systems, which protect them from getting sick, are less developed and can't protect them as much from tobacco smoke.

Before a baby is born

Second-hand smoke is even harmful to unborn babies.

• Nicotine found in the blood of a pregnant woman who is exposed to second-hand smoke can cross the placental barrier and decrease the blood flow to her unborn baby.
  • Nicotine can affect her baby's heart, lungs, digestive system and even central nervous system.
  • Carbon monoxide contained in cigarette smoke can affect her baby's growth and may lead to low birth weight.

After a baby is born
  • Babies who breathe in second-hand smoke have a higher risk of dying from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) or crib death.
  • Babies and children exposed to second-hand smoke have more frequent lower respiratory tract problems, such as coughs, pneumonia, bronchitis and croup.
  • Children who are exposed to second-hand smoke are more likely to develop asthma, and they will suffer more from it than children of non-smokers who have asthma.
  • Second-hand smoke increases the number of ear infections in children.

Children don't have as much control over their world as adults do. Babies and toddlers can't complain about smoke. Even older children may not feel comfortable saying anything or trying to get away from the smoke. This is unfortunate because the health effects of second-hand smoke on children are much worse than for adults.

Many parents don't realize that second-hand smoke may harm their child's behaviour and ability to think things through (cognition). Recently, studies have shown that children who were exposed to tobacco smoke scored lower on tests than children who were not.

Adults are affected, too!
  • If you are a non-smoker, exposure to second-hand smoke may increase your risk of getting lung cancer, heart disease, or respiratory problems.
  • Second-hand smoke fosters the formation of blood clots that can lead to heart attacks and strokes.
  • Second-hand smoke raises your heart rate and damages your heart muscle.
  • Second-hand smoke lowers the level of protective HDL-cholesterol in your blood.

Second-hand smoke and your pets
  • Some studies have shown that second-hand smoke can cause leukemia (a type of cancer) in cats and that dogs in smoking households have a greater risk of cancer. And your furry friends don't just inhale smoke; the smoke particles are also trapped in their fur and ingested when they groom themselves with their tongues.

The Truth About Second-Hand Smoke

Second-hand smoke is also known as environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) or passive smoke.

Second-hand smoke is made up of:

• Sidestream smoke that goes directly into the air from the end of a burning cigarette, cigar or pipe.
  • Mainstream smoke that is inhaled by the smoker first, then exhaled into the air.

Did you Know?
  • A non-smoker in a smoky room is inhaling the same chemicals as a smoker.
  • Second-hand smoke has been labelled as a "Class A" cancercausing substance in the United States. Class A is considered the most dangerous type of cancer agent and there is no known safe level of exposure.
  • Smoking in a closed-in space such as a car greatly increases the concentration of harmful chemicals produced by secondhand smoke.
  • Second-hand smoke contains the same 4,000+ chemicals that are inhaled by a smoker. About 50 of these chemicals are associated with, or are known to cause cancer.
  • Some of the toxic and cancer causing agents found in second-hand smoke include hydrogen cyanide, formaldehyde and benzene.

:gpost: Banjo!

We are non-smokers and we don't allow anyone smoke in our house. I get terrible allergy from the smoke and it takes two days to get my lungs cleared up. My parents were smokers until I was 5 or 6 years old they quit cold turkey. I remembered how bad the house smelled. It took one year for the smelly smoke to disappear from inside the house. My parents re-painted the entire house because the nicotine was getting on the wall and eventually it turned yellow. It was nasty. :dizzy:

Asthma More Likely If Grandma Smoked

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

By Miranda Hitti

Women who quit smoking before pregnancy could help their future grandchildren avoid asthma.

"If a woman smokes while she is pregnant, both her children and her grandchildren may be more likely to have asthma as a result," says Frank Gilliland, MD, PhD, in a news release...

Children were at higher risk for asthma if their grandmother had smoked while pregnant. Even if a grandmother's daughter didn't follow in her footsteps, her kids were still at higher risk for asthma.

Let's say Grandma smoked during pregnancy, but Mom didn't. The grandchild's asthma risk was almost twice as high as that of kids from smoke-free families (1.8 times).

If Grandma and Mom both smoked during their pregnancies, the child's asthma risk was even higher — 2.6 times that of children from nonsmoking backgrounds....

SOURCES: WebMD Medical News: "Fewer Women Are Smoking During Pregnancy." WebMD Medical News: "Smoking in Pregnancy May Cause Genetic Harm." WebMD Medical Reference provided in collaboration with The Cleveland Clinic: "Pregnancy: Smoking During Pregnancy."

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,153128,00.html

Here are some tips if you want to remove the smokey smell from a house:

If the smell is not too strong, prime the walls and ceiling with Kilz primer paint, then paint with regular paint.

If the smell is strong and discolorization is obvious, the greasy nicotene residue must be washed off with detergent before painting. Then use the Kilz primer.

Use a professional cleaning service to clean the ducts of the heating system.

Use a professional carpet cleaning service to clean the carpets and upholstered furniture.

Wash curtains, all linens (including the ones in the closet), bedspreads, removable slip covers, bathroom rugs, clothing (in closets and bureaus), stuffed animal toys, and rinse twice.

Scrub appliances, windows, cabinets.

Wash all dishware that has been sitting in the cupboard.

Nicotene is oily, so you can't just blow in fresh air or cover it with fragrences. You have to actually use detergent to break it down.

Reba said:
I know. That is why we like to take our family to the Navy base bowling alley. There is no smoking allowed in military buildings. :)

All bowling alleys in Utah are no problem. They are in compilance with "Clean Air" regulations. If you wish to have a cleanest alley that does not include serving liquiors and hearing swearing from other players/fans is at BYU's Wilkins Center (Fun Entertainment Center). :thumb:

~DV

Airline regulations...

I am not sure when but it was in the mid 80's, the FAA had a regulations about smoking in the cabin because of closed air circulation which it does not filtered out smoke reeks. Today, you don't see anyone smoking in the plane! It made my every trip fun and worthwhile enjoyable without any worrisomes (other than terrorist attacks). :D

~DV

My wife & I are both former smokers. No one smokes in my house. They have to go outside to smoke or go home. :thumb:

The smell of smoke is just nasty! NO ONE in my family smokes (thank God!)
I am highly sensitive to the smell of smoke, I smell it on people easily, even sometimes after they bathe. It is SOOOOO bad, for so many people, I just don't understand it.
Luckily here in CA, smoking is banned in restaurants, public buildings, most theme parks, (except in designated areas) and even now at some beaches. It is always a shock for me to visit other states and be asked, "Smoking or Non-Smoking?" Las Vegas is bad all over.
The thing that bothers me the most is seeing people smoke in front of their kids. When I see that, I cough a lot; and if I'm with someone, I mention how bad second-hand smoke is on our lungs. If you are going to smoke, it's your problem, but don't screw the people around you, ESPECIALLY not kids.

I grew up with my Mom. She smokes around me all the time. I can't stand to smell smoke from her. I was having trouble breath by my Mom smoke. She smoke and she was pregnant with me. I had one hole in my heart since birth because her smoke spread into my body in her womb. I left her home. I am really happy to be free from my Mom. My hubby and I are non-smoker. I can't let anyone smoke in my house. they go outside to smoke.

Im nonsmoker so I am rather for smokers to smoke outside if they really need to smoke. I can't stand breathing smoke filled air.

:gpost: Banjo.

I have problem with my eyes when the smoking air affect my eyes.... it´s allergic and pain.

I remembered when my hubby and I found my parent in law smoked with full smoking air (they are chain-smoker) in their kitchen near our 1st baby son slept. It got us mad and get our baby outside for fresh air. They pulled their faces and said that we are too touchy because it´s harmless. I said NO, smoking air HARM babies´s healthy. All what they laughed at me then mad with us to respect them because it´s their house. I told them that we do not against anything what they did in their house but NOT do our own baby. They repeated subbornly that "this is my house". I said: "Ok, whatever you said but I won´t trust you to look after my baby in your house anymore" then go off.

They are madder when they learn that we trust Childminder to watch our 1st son for go to work and accussed me stole their grandchild. I explained them because the childminder respect our children ubpringing rules, that´s what we like for that.

I voted no smoking in the apt, house or car. My husband and I both cant stand the smell of smoking. It makes us both cough. I remmy when I was a little girl, my grandparents used to smoke but not anymore. So now no one in my family smoke. My FIL used to smoke but quit when my husband was a little boy.

my dad quits smoking when it was in 1990 ........... my mom finally quits 14 days ago.. she havent smoking for 14 days now.. *praying* i hope that she dont go back on track again!!! ... my younger brother still smoking.. other brother dont.. my sister dont smoke and i dont smoke!!

TOF

Back