My Hearing Update

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
I went to doctor today and he saw the MRI results. I dont have any tumors thank god! But it seems i have a nerve injury in my cochear. I dont know how that happen but it could be the cause he said my tempoary deafness. He has prescribed me strong steroids. But he said it might return my hearing but this is a long shot. But if steroids dont bring it back i have to go to a catscan and possibily get a cochear implant.

Just a warning from someone who has been there.

Steriods are a long twisty dark road :( They reduce swelling on your brain but have so many side effects. Expect things like insomnia, Facial Hair, stomach problems (they can be hard on your stomach, hopefully the doc prescribed something to take with it). When you go off, the withdrawal can cause cramps.

A friend of mine did the Steriods for Hearing thing for over a year, the Steriods nearly killed her.

Last edited:
Like what PeteEMT said, steriod is quite risky substance to take. take care with dosages.

raven, go out and lift some weights while you are on steriods. it is your opportunity!

Thank you for the update. I hope the steroid therapy works for you. As the other posters have mentioned, be careful with the steroids. They can do wonderful things for you but they can also have side effects. It is important that you monitor your own reactions and keep your doctor informed. If you use them short term, low dosage, you probably won't get the serious permanent side effects. When steroids are used long term, or in high doses, then it is more risky.

So, now, does that mean you and Barry Bonds will have something in common? (teasing ;) )

I am really confused by your thread Ravensteven...

First of all in this forum of AllDeaf you said you wanted to get a CI because you hate being deaf.

Second of all You posted here saying you might have a nerve damaged due from implant.

Third of all, You posted that you will get a CImplant..

Now, I don't know about you guys but I am so confused and lost here, :ugh:

Cheri said:
I am really confused by your thread Ravensteven...

First of all in this forum of AllDeaf you said you wanted to get a CI because you hate being deaf.

Second of all You posted here saying you might have a nerve damaged due from implant.

Third of all, You posted that you will get a CImplant..

Now, I don't know about you guys but I am so confused and lost here, :ugh:

Honey, it is okay :) He was saying that there is damage in his COCHLEA. Thus he may benefit from a cochlear implant where they implant a device in his cochlea.

That is if his steroid therapy doesnt work out.

Hope this helps :)

Meg said:
Honey, it is okay :) He was saying that there is damage in his COCHLEA. Thus he may benefit from a cochlear implant where they implant a device in his cochlea.

That is if his steroid therapy doesnt work out.

Hope this helps :)

Ah, I got it now.. Thanks for being a sweetheart to explain this to me.;)

Cheri like i said, I had hearing 2 months ago. Doc thinks now if the steriods bring it back great! If not i might have surgery for a CI. All because the MRI showed my doc something.Thanks for the advice im gonna lift weights and if my hearing comes back im gonna go back and play basketball and upgrade my position from forward the center i might play like shaq.

I m praying for you ravensteve... .i hope you get your hearing back. by the way im curious.. whether u get your hearing back (CI or steriods) will you continue using deaf forum?

ravensteve1961 said:
will you continue using deaf forum?
No comment.
if I somehow become hearie, I would. Reba is a hearie and she sticks around here. So how can it make any different?

Magatsu said:
if I somehow become hearie, I would. Reba is a hearie and she sticks around here. So how can it make any different?
Yeah...what's the difference? you gonna be embrassassed if someone sees you surfing AD and someone ask you "hey you aren't deaf anymore so why are you still surfing on that site?" that sounds abit cold...so, seriously, I dont think that's really a good reason to leave the site if you are a hearie unless you have tons of work to do or spend time w/your family or whatever shit like that instead of saying "I'm not deaf anymore! so I ain't joining that deaf site no more!"

I mean...c'mon!

Steel has a point there. If i aint deaf what business do i have being here.A week ago cheri said she was leaving but cheri is deaf,I think. :doh:

ravensteve1961 said:
Steel has a point there. If i aint deaf what business do i have being here.A week ago cheri said she was leaving but cheri is deaf,I think. :doh:
Some of us hearies are interested in AD because we work with deafies, or have friends or family members who are Deaf or HoH, or are interested in Deaf issues, such as CI, Deaf ed, ADA issues, etc.

If, for example, you decide to get a CI later, you would have much in common with other CI users in this forum. Even if the steroid treatment restores your hearing, you will still be HoH, which means you will still have related interests in assistive devices, ADA, medical issues, etc.

Yes, Cheri is Deaf, but she might have other reasons to want to leave AD for a while. That is a personal decision. Many people have many reasons, not even relating to deafness, for leaving AD. Sometimes they are just too busy, or just need a break from intense postings.

It is up to you, your decision. Whatever you are comfortable with.

Steve,
First, I hope everything works out for the best with the new treatment. I know how difficult of a time this has been for you...you are definately in our thoughts.

As for staying, have you made any friends here? Do you like discussing the topics that are being discussed? Do you feel like you are part of the 'community'? If you answered yes to any of those, then you should definately stay. I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. I'm a hearie and nobody has complained to me about being here (yet). I've stated the reasons that brought me here, but I've made some wonderful friends here and enjoy the chats. Even the political discussions where it seems like we are at each other throats are enjoyable to me because I like discussing such issues. I've exchanged private messages with those that I get into political debates with and we get along great as long as we aren't discussing the war or Bush, etc.

Anyhow, even while rambling in my posts, the community has made me feel very welcome and I appreciate it. I'm sure it would be the same with you. If you do get your hearing back, I hope that you will continue to be a part of the community here.

me too.. i do hope u would want to hang out here... i do like you ravensteve... and i would hope u would actually enjoy the forum and is start to considering to make friends around here :)

Just wanted to note: The Steriods prescribed for brain swelling aren't the same class of Steriods used by Athletes and such to bulk up. Don't expect them to give you huge muscles :) Though it is a nice idea.

Back