My name is......

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mark. I am 29 yrs of age, but will be 30 next week Friday, and boy, the time sure has flown by since I moved here at the young age of 16.

I was born in Southern IL, lived there in a literally hearing world with basically NO Deaf or Hard of Hearing people to hang out with until the year 2000, so that's 16 years of a rough life, and I came to the greater Chicago area on October 22, 2000. Since coming here, I've not looked back, and have spent 1/4 of my adult life in this region.

From 2001-2005, I lived in Northbrook, IL, and got my high school education, and graduated in 2005. After graduation, it was time for me to find another new home, and I visited a couple of places, before settling in Albany Park, here in Chicago. That was on June 20, 2005.

From that time until one day in 2010, I was told I'd need to move again, and after being approved for moving, I packed up once again and moved to Rogers Park, here in Chicago. I have now lived here nearly 42 months, and it's quite peaceful here, and I like it here.

I have lived in Chicago itself for more than 8 years, and some people say it's a unsafe town, and in reality, it depends on where you go-- this area is covered by three schools, as well as Loyola University, and gangs are prohibited from even getting close to here, cause of State and Federal laws banning drugs and weapons within 1,000 ft of any of the schools, so this here is quite safe.

I own a Chicago Blue Trek bicycle, and it's my best mode of transportation, and here's an interesting fact about me-- I can ride long distances without stopping for a drink or a break. I can ride up to 10 miles before stopping, so that's something for you all. I'm not a fan of crowded CTA buses or trains, and my favorite methods of travel are the Metra and Amtrak. I usually ride the Illini when I visit family, so that's something I have to know how to do.

I also have acting experience, as well. I performed in "Alice in Wonderland" with ICODA in 2004, and I also performed as recently as 2011, but I badly injured my back during the 2011-12 theater season, and missed the rest of the season.

I am a veteran traveler-- I have traveled around the greater Chicago area for more than 10 years, and rarely get lost, mainly because I check my facts before making my plans official. If something doesn't fit my plans, I'll wait until the right time, and then go from there. I also know my way around my former hometown, despite not having lived there since 2000, and yet, I still know my way around pretty well (Meaning not much has changed since I moved here all those years ago).

I used to play sports a lot when I was younger, but in 2004, I completely blew out my right knee, and that ended any future sports dreams I had back then. Surprisingly, I'm still able to ride a bicycle, and I wasn't sure if I could, but back in 2008, I discovered I could, and that's helped my knee get stronger over the past few years, and today, it's much healthier than it was prior to 2008, and that I'm happy with.

I have no deaf family members, and I am the only deaf person in my family (Hence moving here back then), and it can get frustrating, but at least they put up with me.

I went to a school in Centralia,IL called Field School, and I started there in 1985, and was there until 1990, when I was transferred to my all-hearing school district. Those 10 years were not great years, as they refused to hire an interpreter, and I had to wear a hearing aide with a microphone, and the reception was terrible. In the late 1990's, I got fed up, and made it known I wanted to be more normal, and they never tried again to force me to wear one.

I live independently, and am able to handle my own bills myself, without much help, mainly because I tend to schedule the payments ahead of time.

I am good at repairing laptops, and I can also help people upgrade their Internet experiences, as well.

I am experienced at setting up various kinds of VP accounts, and I do have ntouch PC and ntouch mobile, along with Z5, P3, and Convo. I also have Global VRS and CAAG, but those I'm working on making compatible for this tablet I'm typing this on. I have helped several of my friends set up ntouch accounts, and yes, they're jealous I know how to do it, and I tell them it's easy to do.

I currently do not have anyone significant in my life at this moment; I've been too busy for that as of late, but since I'm about to leave my 20's forever, I suppose it is time to get settled or something.

I have had three hair colors since I was born-- blonde, brown, and currently I have black hair.

I guess that's all for now. I'll check back here later today.

Last edited:
I'm in Evanston so we are practically neighbors. As you can see in my name, I love bikes!! I hate public transportations. I swear that I cannot remember the last time I went on a public transportation. I know I went in 2003. However, I don't think I went on after that.

I've also lived in Highland Park and Mundelein so I'm familiar with Northbrook.

It's great to see other Chicago area member here. Welcome!!!

I also love bicycles. I own three of them-- one a Mongoose bicycle, and the other a bicycle with a Turbo shock in the middle, but my favorite one is the Trek bicycle you see as my profile photo. It's 24 speeds, and can go up to 25 MPH in certain locations here in Chicago (like Western Ave between Foster and Peterson, as people rarely use that area) However, the Mongoose needs serious repairs before being used again.

I also love bicycles. I own three of them-- one a Mongoose bicycle, and the other a bicycle with a Turbo shock in the middle, but my favorite one is the Trek bicycle you see as my profile photo. It's 24 speeds, and can go up to 25 MPH in certain locations here in Chicago (like Western Ave between Foster and Peterson, as people rarely use that area) However, the Mongoose needs serious repairs before being used again.

If you want, you would always send me a message and we would hang out in Evanston/Chicago area. I can always give an advice or 2 about bikes if you would like.

I do drive a lot on Western. I do hang out in Chicago area sometimes.

I wouldn't mind doing that someday. You know the Howard Red Line? If we ever met, we could do so at Pete's Grill. Know the place?

I wouldn't mind doing that someday. You know the Howard Red Line? If we ever met, we could do so at Pete's Grill. Know the place?

I do know where Howard Red Line is. I have often hung out at Popeye Chicken on Howard. I've never been to Pete's Place, but I'm willing to try it out.

If England is your real last name it should be deleted as we're not allowed to post our last name. Welcome.

I'll fix that right away. I didn't know that, and I'll have that taken care of. As for the rules, where can I find those? I want to make sure I'm familiar with the bylaws.

Pete's Grill is not that far from Howard itself. In fact, it sits right next to the #290 Pace bus stop, and it'll tell you in big bold blue letters the place. I've only entered once, but they do have some neat options.

Pete's Grill is not that far from Howard itself. In fact, it sits right next to the #290 Pace bus stop, and it'll tell you in big bold blue letters the place. I've only entered once, but they do have some neat options.

E mail me at dereksbicycles@gmail.com. we can iron out details on when to meet at Pete's Grill. I'm always anxious to try new places.

I'll fix that right away. I didn't know that, and I'll have that taken care of. As for the rules, where can I find those? I want to make sure I'm familiar with the bylaws.

I think it's pretty much common sense not to post your real name in public for safety reasons.

Since you asked...

Forum rules:

Although the administrators and moderators of AllDeaf.com will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of AllDeaf.com, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of AllDeaf.com reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

AllDeaf.com - Forum Rules

Thanks. I'll familiarize myself with the bylaws, and go from there.

Back