AllDeaf.com

AllDeaf.com (http://www.alldeaf.com/)
-   Religion, Spiritual & Other Beliefs (http://www.alldeaf.com/religion-spiritual-other-beliefs/)
-   -   Why Is Polygamy Frowned Upon By Christians and Others? (http://www.alldeaf.com/religion-spiritual-other-beliefs/75110-why-polygamy-frowned-upon-christians-others.html)

Doug5 02-08-2010 02:16 PM

Why Is Polygamy Frowned Upon By Christians and Others?
 
Their heros in the bible like David, Solomon, etc had multiple wives.

Why is it such a big taboo? Plus rulers in ancient times had multiple wives.

It seems if given a chance men will have multiple partners.

shel90 02-08-2010 02:19 PM

If my hubby attempts to get a 2nd wife, I am kicking his butt to the curb. I am not sharing him!

sallylou 02-08-2010 02:20 PM

Because it's an archaic patriarchal institution. No woman in her right mind would sign up for it.

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 02:29 PM

more population growth in my opinion. Plus, men would not get a woman if she is already married to one who have multiple wives.

I read about how the Mormon leader can pick out the wives and younger men usually get kicked out of mormon religion if they try to pick out a wife themselves. Not sure if it all true.
Reminds me of type of breed of monkeys where only the leader male can have all the women, and the others can not.

my dad believe in polygamy marriage even though he is more of a modern day mormon (the ones who don't believe in polygamy anymore). My mom told him if he even dare, she is leaving him.

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug5 (Post 1525597)
Their heros in the bible like David, Solomon, etc had multiple wives.

Why is it such a big taboo? Plus rulers in ancient times had multiple wives.

It seems if given a chance men will have multiple partners.

Those bible marriage don't apply to us anymore.

souggy 02-08-2010 02:32 PM

Because it's a practice for distributing property and wealth among the people. Nowadays, since women and men are mostly equal, the reasons for marriage is vastly different from the 1950s... let alone thousands of years ago.

Doug5 02-08-2010 06:24 PM

I completely understand why most women would be opposed to it. But if a man could find to women who are ok with it, why should it be illegal

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 06:40 PM

a man do it rather it is legal or not. afterall some Mormons already claim they have more than one wives spiritually. Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for legal purposes, it just can't be done.

Tousi 02-08-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug5 (Post 1525850)
I completely understand why most women would be opposed to it. But if a man could find to women who are ok with it, why should it be illegal

It is illegal because the United States Supreme Court, in fighting Mormonism back in the day, declared polygamy's illegality because we are a Christian nation. Polygamy goes against American culture, our mores/customs. Simple as that.

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 07:01 PM

even some people who aren't christians don't think it should be legal. They don't think child marriage should be legal either.

Doug5 02-08-2010 07:04 PM

Im not talking about child marriage, which is obviously wrong. So if gay marriage becomes legal, would polygamy be next?

Buffalo 02-08-2010 07:05 PM

Golden Rule also came from the Bible.

Let me put it the opposite way.... Would it be okay if a woman have more than one husband at the same time??? If a woman had a fallout with husband #1, she can go to bed with husband #2. In a polygamy, a man can do that and the woman who the husband had a fallout with, would be sleeping alone. To me, that is not fair. I know why men want polygamy... it had to do with power and control. That is my point of view.

shel90 02-08-2010 07:05 PM

I think Doug5 has a good point. If the women dont mind that then who are we to judge? It is illegal because Christians say so?

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 07:05 PM

I can't helping thinking about that movie on Japan or China (can't remember which) that was about a very wealthy man who had multiple wives. According to these wives, it was very hard on them to share husband. I believe it because I know I would feel the same way.

Tousi 02-08-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug5 (Post 1525906)
Im not talking about child marriage, which is obviously wrong. So if gay marriage becomes legal, would polygamy be next?

Why are you coming across as gay marriages and polygamy being the same or similar? They are not.

Buffalo 02-08-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighthouse77 (Post 1525910)
I can't helping thinking about that movie on Japan or China (can't remember which) that was about a very wealthy man who had multiple wives. According to these wives, it was very hard on them to share husband. I believe it because I know I would feel the same way.

Ditto. That is why I prefer monogamy over anything else. If a man prefer polygamy, then I want to have more than one husband to even things up.

Tousi 02-08-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shel90 (Post 1525909)
I think Doug5 has a good point. If the women dont mind that then who are we to judge. It is illegal because Christians say so?


No, because the Supreme Court said so. Its a fine line.

Tousi 02-08-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo (Post 1525915)
Ditto. That is why I prefer monogamy over anything else. If a man prefer polygamy, then I want to have more than one husband to even things up.

:lol:

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo (Post 1525908)
Golden Rule also came from the Bible.

Let me put it the opposite way.... Would it be okay if a woman have more than one husband at the same time??? If a woman had a fallout with husband #1, she can go to bed with husband #2. In a polygamy, a man can do that and the woman who the husband had a fallout with, would be sleeping alone. To me, that is not fair. I know why men want polygamy... it had to do with power and control. That is my point of view.

one is enough for me!

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 07:09 PM

I think it would just cause too much confusion legally wise. Who get what?

Tousi 02-08-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighthouse77 (Post 1525920)
I think it would just cause too much confusion legally wise. Who get what?

Gotta make a schedule. :laugh2:

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo (Post 1525915)
Ditto. That is why I prefer monogamy over anything else. If a man prefer polygamy, then I want to have more than one husband to even things up.

yeah, if one husband won't have sex with me because he is too busy enjoying his "new" wife. Then I want another husband!

sallylou 02-08-2010 07:14 PM

Because one man cannot support all of the children born to multiple wives. Many of the children born in polygamous marriages are receiving federal aid.

shel90 02-08-2010 07:15 PM

Sallylou, when the law was made, was it based on Christianity values?

Tousi 02-08-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shel90 (Post 1525930)
Sallylou, when the law was made, was it based on Christianity values?

:lol:

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 07:21 PM

based on society's value who just happened to be christians

shel90 02-08-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tousi (Post 1525932)
:lol:

This country was founded on Christianity. so if it was found on Mormon values , maybe polygamy will be legal and mongamy would be illegal. :lol:

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 07:23 PM

Mormon would not exist if Christians didn't. Their religion was founded from the bible. Same with Jehovah's Witness.

shel90 02-08-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighthouse77 (Post 1525940)
Mormon would not exist if Christians didn't. Their religion was founded from the bible. Same with Jehovah's Witness.

I am not big on religion but I was raising a hypothetical question. It is something to think about.

Lighthouse77 02-08-2010 07:27 PM

yeah, someone once asked me a hypothetical question and didn't like my answer. It was if someone came to church with a gun and say renounce your religion or die... I told him I don't know what I do in a situation like that, but I probably would just run.. not renounce. There's no reason for me to stand there and let him shoot me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.