Kids Turned Away From Church....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Court order bans unsupervised contact with children

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Northside church has been at the center of a controversy for nearly a month since allowing a registered sex offender to return to the pulpit

In 2009, Darrell Gilyard pleaded guilty to lewd conduct and lewd molestation. The victims were underage girls in his congregation at Shiloh Baptist Church.

In the past few weeks, Gilyard began preaching at Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church on the Northside. His new position drew protests from other pastors and the New Black Panther Party.

Since taking the position, Gilyard would not speak to television reporters. Channel 4 looked up his address on the sex offender registry and went to a motel where he was staying in North Jacksonville.

The first time reporters approached Gilyard, he dropped his things and slammed the door. Moments later, he came outside and got into his car without saying a word.

Since joining Christ Tabernacle on North Davis Street, the congregation has had to adapt to changes. Under the terms of Gilyard's release, court documents show he is not allowed to have "unsupervised contact with children under 18 years old." The church agreed to ban children from Sunday service.

Since joining Christ Tabernacle on North Davis Street, the congregation has had to adapt to changes. Under the terms of Gilyard's release, court documents show he is not allowed to have "unsupervised contact with children under 18 years old." The church agreed to ban children from Sunday service.

Sunday, a woman tried to bring a 2-year-old boy she babysits to services, but was turned away.

"They said for the next two weeks, no children are allowed," Wanda Evans said. "This is the second Sunday, no children, so next week's Sunday, kids will be able to be allowed."

Last week, members of the new Black Panther Party of Jacksonville promised to protest every Sunday that Gilyard was a pastor at the church. This Sunday, however, there were no demonstrations.

Kids turned away from church | News - Home

I think about hard labor camp will be suitable for sex offenders until they are completely tame.

:jaw: What is wrong with those people of the church congregation?! Why are they allowing a convicted sex offender to preach from their pulpit?

:jaw: What is wrong with those people of the church congregation?! Why are they allowing a convicted sex offender to preach from their pulpit?

I guess they are a forgiving bunch. :giggle:

This is wrong on so many levels.

Do you believe in redemption?

I guess they are a forgiving bunch. :giggle:
Forgiving isn't the same as ignoring the reality of consequences.

A mature man of God wouldn't even think of applying for a position of leadership in a church if it meant the appearance of wrongdoing, or reflecting on the integrity of the Lord's church or name.

There is a difference between (forgiveness & redemption) and then the LAW!

Last edited:
The law says that a registered sex offender cannot be around children and if there are children that attend there that is against the law!

Which is why the children were turned away from the church.

This story was all over the news last year....A mother saw a very explict text message to her underage daughter from this man....She reported it, and many other young girls from the same Church came forward about it also.

The girls said he "touched them inappropriately"...and saying he was a man of God, and that God approved what he was doing......He was thrown out of that Church. Now he's reappeared and it's all over the news again....He was also married, but seems to be divorsed now since he's living in a Hotel.

My old english is getting rusty. I haven't read the bible in a few years. I'm Agnostic. Could you paraphrase this for me?
No problem. :)

This is my paraphrase:

He (the church leader) must have a good reputation with the community that is outside the church, not just inside the church. That is so people will have no reason to criticize him, and the devil will not have an opportunity to tempt him.

That is, no baggage for the pastor so that he can't be attacked from people inside or outside the church. He needs to have a clean name if he wants to be a leader.

No problem. :)

This is my paraphrase:

He (the church leader) must have a good reputation with the community that is outside the church, not just inside the church. That is so people will have no reason to criticize him, and the devil will not have an opportunity to tempt him.

That is, no baggage for the pastor so that he can't be attacked from people inside or outside the church. He needs to have a clean name if he wants to be a leader.

But Paul had neither did he not?

So, basically, according to Reba, a pastor must be 100% sin free so as to not be tempted by the devil.

Tell me the name of one single pastor who does not sin, in either thought or deed. oh wait, there isn't any.

So, basically, according to Reba, a pastor must be 100% sin free so as to not be tempted by the devil.

Tell me the name of one single pastor who does not sin, in either thought or deed. oh wait, there isn't any.

All people are born sinners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back