New subtitle app

RonJaxon

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

I was contacted by an app developer to beta test his app for subtitles. He asked my opinion and for any suggestions I might have. Over the past couple of months we've been talking and he tests out every suggestion I make and sends me the new updated app to test out. 

Well he submitted it for approval so hopefully it'll be available soon. I'm posting about it here because I'd like to ask you all what you think of the features it'll have and if you'd have any suggestions for additional features. Who better to ask then here at AD. 

So here's a little about it and it's features. 

First of all you can download and play subtitles right on your phone. So you can hold the phone in your hand or prop it up in front of your tv or computer screen. The subtitles will play in time with the video (tv show or movie). Imagine theres a show on  netflix or hulu you want to watch but it doesn't have CC. You can play the subtitles on your phone and stand it up in front of your computer screen to see the subtitles on it. 

You'll have to sync the timing to the video but it doesn't take long to get the timing lined up. 

I know it's not the best solution but sometimes it's better then nothing. For example at a movie theater, a public place that has a tv such as a bar or party. No subtitles available for what ever reason you can pull out your phone and get the subtitles on it. 

Here's my favorite feature. You can actually get a video (tv show or movie) to play on your phone with subtitles all right from your phone. No computer needed. For example let's say you go on line and find a show you want to watch in sites like megavideo. Using the "video browser" app you can download the movie or tv show right to your iphone. Then open it in an app called "AVPlayer". Then find the matching subtitles in this new subtitle app and open it in the AVPlayer app. Now both video and subtitles are in the AVPlayer and you can watch it with subtitles. It's all done right from your iPhone. 

Before anyone makes a comment about the various methods of downloading tv shows and movies legally or illegally. There are legal ways to do this such as iTunes. But not all that many of them have subtitles. So this app will allow you to watch them with subtitles all from your iPhone. 

He's awaiting approval from iTunes for the app to be available. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions or suggestions. 

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

I was contacted by an app developer to beta test his app for subtitles. He asked my opinion and for any suggestions I might have. Over the past couple of months we've been talking and he tests out every suggestion I make and sends me the new updated app to test out.*

Well he submitted it for approval so hopefully it'll be available soon. I'm posting about it here because I'd like to ask you all what you think of the features it'll have and if you'd have any suggestions for additional features. Who better to ask then here at AD.*

So here's a little about it and it's features.*

First of all you can download and play subtitles right on your phone. So you can hold the phone in your hand or prop it up in front of your tv or computer screen. The subtitles will play in time with the video (tv show or movie). Imagine theres a show on *netflix or hulu you want to watch but it doesn't have CC. You can play the subtitles on your phone and stand it up in front of your computer screen to see the subtitles on it.*

*You'll have to sync the timing to the video but it doesn't take long to get the timing lined up.*

I know it's not the best solution but sometimes it's better then nothing. For example at a movie theater, a public place that has a tv such as a bar or party. No subtitles available for what ever reason you can pull out your phone and get the subtitles on it.*

Here's my favorite feature. You can actually get a video (tv show or movie) to play on your phone with subtitles all right from your phone. No computer needed. For example let's say you go on line and find a show you want to watch in sites like megavideo. Using the "video browser" app you can download the movie or tv show right to your iphone. Then open it in an app called "AVPlayer". Then find the matching subtitles in this new subtitle app and open it in the AVPlayer app. Now both video and subtitles are in the AVPlayer and you can watch it with subtitles. It's all done right from your iPhone.*

Before anyone makes a comment about the various methods of downloading tv shows and movies legally or illegally. There are legal ways to do this such as iTunes. But not all that many of them have subtitles. So this app will allow you to watch them with subtitles all from your iPhone.*

He's awaiting approval from iTunes for the app to be available. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions or suggestions.*

Awesome, I have two apps for both of AVPlayer and CinexPlayer apps on my iPhone and iPad 2. I will try to install VideoBrowser and take test to work it with AVPlayer and CinexPlayer.

Wirelessly posted

Yes. With video browser you'll have to use the "download" option to download the video (instead of just play). Once it's downloaded hold your finger on the file and the "open in" menu will appear. So you can open it in other apps such as AVPlayer, cinexplayer, etc...

Basically, Boxee for Iphone, but you have to search for your own video. It sounds good to me. I'd use it, but I have Android.

The new version of the app is now out. It's called podnapisi.NET

This update allows you to load subtitles from other subtitles sites into the app. By default it searches podnapisi.net for subtitles and they do have a very good selection of subtitles. But if you can't find them on their site you can go to other subtitles sites such as subscene.com or tvsubtitles.net. Download the subtitles from there and open them in the podnapisi.NET app. So basically you can now use any subtitles (SRT and SUB) you can find on the internet in the app.

Here are a couple of images I made to illustrates a few ways you could use it as a "Hand held Subtitle device"

subappuses1.jpg

subapplaptop.jpg

I'd post a link to it but I don't want to break any rules. It's in the app store right now. It's not available on android yet but that's planned. I'm so glad I got to talking to the app developer. He's great at taking suggestions and getting them to work to test out.

By the way. I'm not making a dime off this. I'm just helping a guy that's making something that I hope will help some people. He doesn't speak English all that well so I'm just helping with the instructions for him (Proof reading) and I made a few images for it because I'm a graphic designer. I think it's great to see someone put an effort into anything that has to do with subtitles.

Let me know if you have any questions.

This looks pretty interesting. It'd be really cool if it could be expanded to subtitle movies that are currently in the theaters, too.

I gotta admit though, reading subtitles on an external device in front of the movie or tv show is kind of annoying. But better than nothing I guess. There are definitely some shows on Netflix that are lacking captions on some of their episodes or seasons, and it'd be really nice to have this for that. But alas, I have Android.

Yea, like you said it is better then nothing. It's not the best solution but it can be useful. I was at a friends house watching a movie and they couldn't get the subtitles to work on the DVD player. So I said, "Don't worry, I got it". Pulled out my app, found the subs and used it. You're right that it's not as good as having the real subs on the video. But, I could glance down and take a quick peak and was able to fallow the movie well enough.

Since then I got an iphone stand that allow you to stand it up on it's side. I put it on a small table (TV tray) in front of me in line with the TV. So I can glance down and read it.

I use it all the time with netflix and other online movie sites like in the image above. That's how I use it most right now.

The "Open in" is a great feature. So you can open the subtitles in video players that supports subtitles on your phone such as AVPlayer. So you can download the movie and the subtitles right on your phone and watch it with subtitles. I'm using that more and more now too.

I do know that he plans to get it on android. He just wanted to get it stable first before branching out.

Wirelessly posted

The app is available now in the app store. Just had an update and another one is being checked and as soon as they pass it even more features will be in it. It's called podnapisi.NET

Is Vuze a media player like XBMC? If so, then SRT file should be in a same folder where a movie file is saved. Right?
NgDPj0

Nc7Osd

lgUx

Yes, same as opensubtitles.org, subscene.com, and podnapisi.net

Hey Ron I read your Blog on Handbrake.fr software program. I downloaded it and liked it, but I was never able to get the subtitles to appear on the video I had downloaded. I tried several times and even after it said the encoding was finished, I would play the video and it was if I hadn't done anything.

Do you know anything more about this program and why I might have had this problem?

Thanks
O.S. Great Blog BTW...

that's pretty cool. certainly handy if you're on the road or at a friends where you may not have access to your own setup (I used tv-out with the computer, and SubsMarine to automatically download and load subtitles for anything I'm watching).

I guess in theory it could work at a movie theatre too? That is assuming the subtitles were already available.

big fan of podnapisi too, my main source for subtitles

<snip>
He's awaiting approval from iTunes for the app to be available. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions or suggestions.*
</snip>

That's cool! Any update on this so far? The other app I used is called Subtitle App on iTunes. Let me know if that's the same one? Thanks!

Back