Why do some men/women feel imitated?

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Are some men imitated by a strong minded woman? And some women, are they imitated by women who have choosen to be single, have a good job and take care of their families by themselves? Even tho' they are married, and not happy with their partner and seeing you, not being married, and content with urself?

Is it the way you "carry urself"? Or the "vibes" you seem to put out? There have been a few times, when a best friend told me that (when we were at a social gathering), that "they felt imitated" by me. Instead of a "hug" and "how are you", I get a hand shake (go figure)!

Last edited:
Ah, I was a little confused by the thread topic. I think you meant "intimidated"

Anyway, I also think there some people who are more conservative and are, in fact, set back by a strong-minded woman (for both males and females). However, I generally find that the younger generations tend to be more accepting/unsurprised than the older. That's entirely my personal opinion, obviously.

Definitions of imitate:
verb: appear like, as in behavior or appearance
Example: "Life imitate art"​
verb: make a reproduction or copy of
verb: reproduce someone's behavior or looks
Example: "The mime imitated the passers-by"​

Definitions of intimidate:
verb: make timid or fearful
Example: "Her boss intimidates her"​
verb: to compel or deter by or as if by threats

Don't worry, I often misspell intimidate too, since they look similar.
Just thought to give you a close look at the difference.

Are some men intimidated by a strong minded woman? And some women, are they intimidated by women who have choosen to be single, have a good job and take care of their families by themselves? Even tho' they are married, and not happy with their partner and seeing you, not being married, and content with urself?

Is it the way you "carry urself"? Or the "vibes" you seem to put out? There have been a few times, when a best friend told me that (when we were at a social gathering), that "they felt intimidated" by me. Instead of a "hug" and "how are you", I get a hand shake (go figure)!

I understand what you mean. I sometimes felt intimidated by someone, not psychically, but his experiences and intelligence, where I felt I cannot match up the same level as his. Though intimidate is a strong negative word, as in a threaten way. But I meant it as in a timid, shy, and feeling little or humble. Are there better words to describe it??

Are you wondering how to get others to feel comfortable with or around you? Or you are talking it it as in general? I wanted to understand it clearly so I could answer them. Or other people could answer your questions or thoughts better than I do.

lol I'm used to strong-minded women. Pretty much past few of my ex-gf are strong-minded. That's usually how I like it but it's tricky because I am strong-minded too. so you put 2 strong-minded couple together and the result is not going to be pretty.

To answer your question, robin - these men are naturally intimidated by high-paying women who can take care of themselves because it's simply built into our genes. for thousand of years - it is men who take care of women. Now - it's changing... men and women are approaching to same level. My previous ex is definitely the type of woman you just described - high salary job, doesn't need husband, can raise family herself. As for me - yes I was bit intimidated but I adapted to it. I accept the fact that women can take care of themselves. Lot of men can't accept that fact - it's understandable.

Just my assumption - women who are like that are most likely the one who had "loser" fathers in their childhood life. They suffered by watching their mothers being helpless because they have to depend on father to provide for everything.

lol I'm used to strong-minded women. Pretty much past few of my ex-gf are strong-minded. That's usually how I like it but it's tricky because I am strong-minded too. so you put 2 strong-minded couple together and the result is not going to be pretty.

To answer your question, robin - these men are naturally intimidated by high-paying women who can take care of themselves because it's simply built into our genes. for thousand of years - it is men who take care of women. Now - it's changing... men and women are approaching to same level. My previous ex is definitely the type of woman you just described - high salary job, doesn't need husband, can raise family herself. As for me - yes I was bit intimidated but I adapted to it. I accept the fact that women can take care of themselves. Lot of men can't accept that fact - it's understandable.

Just my assumption - women who are like that are most likely the one who had "loser" fathers in their childhood life. They suffered by watching their mothers being helpless because they have to depend on father to provide for everything.

My bad! Yes, I meant "intimidated"!.....I'm strong minded.....glad to see some responses....I'm beginning to see why now! And feel "lucky" in a way. At that social gathering, some women had husbands that drank too much, cheated, some who would not work steadily..... I just can't deal with a marriage like that...but I've never told anyone about it. Guess they just can't accept the fact that I'm happy the way I am, without having a husband like they do.... And some single gentlemen would stand to the side, and just stare....afraid to make an approach for convo. Oh well.....can't win them all. But I try to remain friendly, even approachable.

At some social gatherings, if there is a single woman, or her husband is deceased, a lot of times they are "ignored" too.

People are intimidated by me just simply because I do not show any angry or gleeful expressions while I stand in a room observing people.

They think I'm an asshole but so be it. I've prevented a lot of crazy stuff from happening that way.

When someone is intimidated, whether it is a man or a woman, it is usually because they question their own abilities. Like, for instance, a man that is intimidated by a strong independent woman likely feels like it makes him less than a "man" because she is able to take care of herself, or form her own opinions, or whatever.

Like Jiro, I think that society has a lot to do with it, because we still have those old stereotypes stuck in our heads that the man is the breadwinner, and the woman is the nurterer.

I grew up witnessing how much my mom suffered after my parents' divorce because she didnt learn any job skills or get a college education due to being dependent on my dad for 10 years. Then, I had to witness her suffer some more in the hands of her ex boyfriend for 10 years with his verbal abuse and control over her. I vowed not to become so dependent on a man for emotional and financial needs hence one of my refusal to be a housewife.

I do hope times have changed a lot now that we are looking at non-traditional life style for women who can work in a man's jobs and I think some women are tomboys that they becoming strong independent women that knows how to survive in a tough world. For me, I used to be a very independent woman knowing how to face the world without the man breathing down my neck. Now I am married for the second time around, and I still like to be independent on doing things for myself and taking care of my husband (he does not want to be a baby, but he like to depend on me, I guess). :lol: Every woman is different whether it is traditional or non-traditional. Like Shel said, it is a bummer for a woman having no idea about getting a training for work and trying to find work plus managing the bills and everything. I would not want to be like that either. The men should stop thinking that they are the breadwinners and just get use to women who can be the breadwinners if the husbands or boyfriends can stay home and take care of family members. We still have the battle of the sexes as usual about our difference of lifestyle. :roll: Oh, boy, I don't want to go back to the old days. :cool2:

So who wants a weak minded woman?

What good is a weak mind?

Back