HDTV and Closed Captioning

hawkeyex

Reaction score
Has anyone managed to get it to work? I have managed to get it to work through DirecTV's settop, but would love to see natural captioning. The installer seems to think it has to do with Line 21.

Anyone know? I use Audiovox FPE3206.

Well, I recently bought my HDTV, so I have my cable company get me a digital cable. So they explained to me, is that I power off (remote) the cable box, then press menu, the pop up menu will show that you can enable Closed Captioning in the cable box.

I don't know if all of the cable box will have that same process.

Just my .02 cents and heads up :)

Well, I recently bought my HDTV, so I have my cable company get me a digital cable. So they explained to me, is that I power off (remote) the cable box, then press menu, the pop up menu will show that you can enable Closed Captioning in the cable box.

I don't know if all of the cable box will have that same process.

Just my .02 cents and heads up :)

Tech Person explained me.

1) Press power (off), then select, then menu on the set top box itself with the power ON

on the box (you should see a user settings menu displayed on the tv) if that does not work ensure that the power is on to the box when starting.

2) use the down arrow and go to CC and make sure enabled, then scroll down and decide between CC1 and CC2, one of those options should correct the issue.

3) after selecting those options push the power button twice to restore power to the box and test, you can repeat if needed the same instructions.

Yes, I did try.... still can't change at all. They set up as lock that we can't change or options.
The tech person told me that HDTV box made by Motorola. That's lousy CC .

This Tuesday, we will get Cablecard. I will find out how is good or not.

I have a Mitsubishi 52" LCD 1080P HDTV hooked up with Comcast Digital HDTV Cable box and the caption works great.

If you meant "Natural Captioning" inside the TV for High Definition programming, then this is for Over-the Air (OTA) antenna only. HDTV Closed Caption decoder inside TV will not work with external tuners like Satellite or Cable Box. If you cannot get good antenna reception, then you must enable CC inside external tuners and use HDMI, DVI or component cables. I downloaded operating manual of your TV and it's on page 34 about enabling CC but it's for antenna only. The manual gives very poor instructions on how to operate CC for your TV. See link: Welcome to Audiovox. Click on "Find a Manual" button.

I have not used CableCard (for cable TV subscribers only) and it might work with digital CC inside your TV but I might be wrong.

If you subscribe High Definition programming with DirectTV, then your satellite receiver must support High Definition and you have to enable CC via setup menu of DirectTV tuner box.

"Line 21" is for old style analog CC only. Digital CC does not support "Line 21".

Peter

CC are stripped before it passed thur HDMI or upconvert Compoment cables so you can't get CC on HDTV unless DirectTV box have built in CC (HDTV DirectTV box does have it built in) or HDTV Cable box have built in CC that you will need to enable before it is sent to the HDTV via HDMI or upconvert Compoment.

Stupid move by the FCC to allow this on HDMI and upconvert Compoment.

Since there is no upconvert dvd player that could decode CC and we are currently stuck with old DVD player and HDTV TV if we want to watch the standard DVD discs unless you built a HTPC computer which I did and it allow me to upcovert my movies with CC and pass it out HDMI or Compoment.

Panasonic has a dvd recorder with hdmi and CC

Panasonic has two models that I know for sure have support of closed captions when using an HDMI cable. The DMREZ27 and DMREZ28. I purchased the EZ28 at best buy yesterday and after hooking it up to my tv I had to turn on analog and digital CC in the setup menu of the dvd player. Then as a test I put in Stargate season 1 disc 1 which only has closed captions (no subtitles) and turned off the CC on my tv. When I played the episode the Captions were visible even with tv CC turned off as these panasonic recorders make the captions part of the picture before sending it over the HDMI cables to the tv. I hope the helps everyone looking for a way to get the most of their HDTV's and still have CC's. Please pass the word to others about panasonics support of this feature (at least in their dvd recorders).

Panasonic has two models that I know for sure have support of closed captions when using an HDMI cable. The DMREZ27 and DMREZ28. I purchased the EZ28 at best buy yesterday and after hooking it up to my tv I had to turn on analog and digital CC in the setup menu of the dvd player. Then as a test I put in Stargate season 1 disc 1 which only has closed captions (no subtitles) and turned off the CC on my tv. When I played the episode the Captions were visible even with tv CC turned off as these panasonic recorders make the captions part of the picture before sending it over the HDMI cables to the tv. I hope the helps everyone looking for a way to get the most of their HDTV's and still have CC's. Please pass the word to others about panasonics support of this feature (at least in their dvd recorders).

That means they overlay the CC onto the video signal through the HDMI cable, but that's definitely a solution I am pushing for.

CC are stripped before it passed thur HDMI or upconvert Compoment cables so you can't get CC on HDTV unless DirectTV box have built in CC (HDTV DirectTV box does have it built in) or HDTV Cable box have built in CC that you will need to enable before it is sent to the HDTV via HDMI or upconvert Compoment.

Stupid move by the FCC to allow this on HDMI and upconvert Compoment.

Since there is no upconvert dvd player that could decode CC and we are currently stuck with old DVD player and HDTV TV if we want to watch the standard DVD discs unless you built a HTPC computer which I did and it allow me to upcovert my movies with CC and pass it out HDMI or Compoment.

That's what I have been saying. It is not possible to pass a CC signal through the HDMI cable unless it is overlaying the video signal. That means the CC is already embedded into the video signal rather than as a separate signal. So therefore, all video devices with HDMI output should be mandated to include CC decoders built in.

That's what I have been saying. It is not possible to pass a CC signal through the HDMI cable unless it is overlaying the video signal. That means the CC is already embedded into the video signal rather than as a separate signal. So therefore, all video devices with HDMI output should be mandated to include CC decoders built in.

"Alien vs Predator 2" Blu-ray disc has CC in addition to sub-titles. Like Banjo said, CC is embedded into the video signal. Also the quality of embedded CC in this movie was pretty bad. The text was very pixalated and huge. It might good for people with poor eye sights.

Peter

"Alien vs Predator 2" Blu-ray disc has CC in addition to sub-titles. Like Banjo said, CC is embedded into the video signal. Also the quality of embedded CC in this movie was pretty bad. The text was very pixalated and huge. It might good for people with poor eye sights.

Peter

I have noticed that all of Fox releases on Blu-ray feature the CC symbol. However, I have never seen it in action because I don't have the option to view it. As far as I know, Fox is the only one who use the CC symbol on their Blu-ray cases.

I have noticed that all of Fox releases on Blu-ray feature the CC symbol. However, I have never seen it in action because I don't have the option to view it. As far as I know, Fox is the only one who use the CC symbol on their Blu-ray cases.

My Blu-ray player is a home built Home Theater PC (HTPC). I use Cyberlink PowerDVD Utra 8 software to play Blu-ray movies. One day I was configuring the software and accidentally noticed "Closed Caption", gave it a try and it worked. Other Blu-ray movies showed dimmed "Closed Caption" meaning the discs didn't include CC. I don't know which stand alone Blu-ray player offer CC. Maybe Playstation 3.

Peter

My Blu-ray player is a home built Home Theater PC (HTPC). I use Cyberlink PowerDVD Utra 8 software to play Blu-ray movies. One day I was configuring the software and accidentally noticed "Closed Caption", gave it a try and it worked. Other Blu-ray movies showed dimmed "Closed Caption" meaning the discs didn't include CC. I don't know which stand alone Blu-ray player offer CC. Maybe Playstation 3.

Peter

Oh that explains. None of the Blu-ray players on the market is capable of doing that at the moment. However, in theory, PS3 is capable of doing this but they haven't done anything about it yet.

Anyway, Cyberlink has quite an ugly CC style to start with. It always has looked like that.

Hey guys

Thanks for all the info. I have considered all the options, and have decided to stick with the DirecTV's captioning feature. I'm happy, and we'll stick with subtitles in our DVD players in lieu of the missing captioning (although I am *pretty sure* it's working, but will test it tonight)

Now if *I* could figure out how to get my dad to switch from Comcast to DirecTV. My dad doesn't like captioning very much (as he is hearing), and wants to be able to switch it off automatically with Comcast's HD set top using a remote. DirecTV does allow for that (and they're still getting my business)

So far, my readings has indicated to me that it is not possible. Am I wrong?

Hawkeye-X

I See,,,

1) if you buy tv without HDTV itself.
2) if you buy HDTV box for hook up your tv.
3) if you buy Component video.
4) if you buy Plasma tv.
then closed captioned will not work always...

how is working with closed captioned?
1) buy LCD widescreen tv come with in HDTV also hdmi 1 or 2..
2) buy hdmi cable
3) dishtv come with vip722 DVR
4) over 100 HD channels

i watch cnnhd, sci-fichd, starzhd and more...i dont see any problems at all..

DONT BUY PLASMA TV BECAUSE CC DIDNT NOT MATCH SPEAKER SAME TIME!

1)

DONT BUY PLASMA TV BECAUSE CC DIDNT NOT MATCH SPEAKER SAME TIME!

NO SENSE.... to say do not buy PLASMA TV.
HDMI cable will won't work with TV's CC unless you use Comcast, Fios, Network Dish TV or DirecTV box will turn on or off CC.

Right now, we have 3 HDTVs include plasma HDTV. No problem with CC. Most important to check ATSC (great for after Feb 2009).

Almost 5 years ago, we bought first Plasma HDTV with built-in ASTC (not require to use HDTV Box). 5 years ago, they were not many built-in HDTV Turner or ATSC.

We like Plasma TV because rich color!!! One thing not great for bright room.

NO SENSE.... to say do not buy PLASMA TV.
HDMI cable will won't work with TV's CC unless you use Comcast, Fios, Network Dish TV or DirecTV box will turn on or off CC.

Right now, we have 3 HDTVs include plasma HDTV. No problem with CC. Most important to check ATSC (great for after Feb 2009).

Almost 5 years ago, we bought first Plasma HDTV with built-in ASTC (not require to use HDTV Box). 5 years ago, they were not many built-in HDTV Turner or ATSC.

We like Plasma TV because rich color!!! One thing not great for bright room.

Correct me if I am wrong but you've had your plamsa tv for 5 years? If so, it's still working fine? The reason I asked is cause I was told that they have a habit of working around 3 years or so before the screen starts to not work.

i brought 32" PLASMA HDTV possible 6 years ago, we use with charter cable box and without hdmi, own dvr box too. some channels didn't work with CC and HD too that sad... one of my friend hearing talk about between plasma and lcd (cc same time speaker). he was test and listen both LCD and PLASMA. he found out that too same thing his friends has plms with plasma didnt not perfect match cc and speaker same time like 5 second delay...i knew it.... plasma is suck also not enough bright colors...

so now i have LCD 42" for almost 2 years much better.....

That's why...... Today is improving tech better than 6 years ago. That's time, they do not have built-in Digital (HDTV) Turner as ATSC. LCD HDTV was very expensive.
5 years ago, they had few built-in HDTV Turner. Today, All HDTV have built-in ATSC (HD Turner) and NTSC. Next few years, NTSC will be gone.

Our twin sons (college students) are hearing. They told me that CC and Voice are not same time (just behind or earlier). Just few seconds different. That's big deal.

We did try few different way on "Smallville" HDTV and non-HDTV.
Fios HDTV box - use HD program - poor quality (fad some letters - hard time to read CC)
Fios HDTV box - use non HD program - flash CC (disappear - no way to read in 1 sec)
Fios Standard TV Box - great CC (little behind or earlier)
Tivo HD Box - use HD program - 50 percent missing CC but great quality CC
Tivo HD Box - use non-HD - not yet test
Antenna - Over the air - HD program great CC but one thing weak signal.
Antenna - Over the air - non-HD - still normal CC as standard TV - sometime weak signal

Antenna gave me too much adjust to find better image.

Back