Pros and Cons of the Cochlear Implants..

SxyPorkie

Reaction score
I had been to some threads in AD about the cochlear implants...
Now I realize there are more cons and pros of the cochlear implants ..

Even tho' I am againist implanting in babies and toddlers...but I need more feedbacks about CI.. pros and cons..

No bashings here.. just your feedback of pros and cons... If bashings does occur.. I will ask the moderators to close this thread...

ALL PROS AND CONS ARE WELCOME HERE!!!
I am interesting in all pros and cons..

Thanks!!!

SxyPorkie :)

I'll just do my own personal pros and cons. Note that these are very personal and just because I've put it down as a reason for me it doesn't nescessarily apply to anyone else!

Pros
More independence and less reliance on others
Safety concerns with my child
Being able to enjoy my child's accomplishments e.g. music, school play etc
I love sounds
Good chance of relief for my raging 24/7 tinnitus (sounds like Boeing 747)
Possibility of being able to use phone means greater flexibility in my work
If I grow old and lose my sight I have hearing to help me.

Cons
Dependence on audiologist for mappings etc
While there is a good chance of success there is no guarantee it will work
Usual risks of anaesthetic/surgery
Small possibility of device failure but they usually test device during surgery
Possibility that other deaf people will have ambivilent feelings about me

Anyone else?

I've heard that if you play sports such was weslting, football, baseball and any rough sport, more risk to damage CI.

I don't believe forcing my child to have CI. I rather let her/him make her/his own decision and be PROUD of it.

I've noticed that some RIT/NITD student won't wear CI beacuse his/her parent forced and hate it. SO that made me realized that I would NOT force my own child.

Pros
More independence and less reliance on others-agreed
Safety concerns with my child-agreed
Being able to enjoy my child's accomplishments e.g. music, school play etc-agreed so I can enjoy it even more!
I love sounds- I do too but it would be depend! I hate SCREAMING part! UGH
Good chance of relief for my raging 24/7 tinnitus (sounds like Boeing 747)-dunno what's sound like.
Possibility of being able to use phone means greater flexibility in my work-haven't try that yet
If I grow old and lose my sight I have hearing to help me.-I agreed.

Cons
Dependence on audiologist for mappings etc-ONLY when you make an appt and you pay copay for it.
While there is a good chance of success there is no guarantee it will work
Usual risks of anaesthetic/surgery- that's a good point
Small possibility of device failure but they usually test device during surgery
Possibility that other deaf people will have ambivilent feelings about me-I am not sure on that. I am sure they test it during surgery and after 4 weeks of recovery. I guess I am not quite sure.

I am planning to get CI but my medicaid cut me off due to make $ much. Oh, well! So I am working on getting CI somehow. :) I am not gonna give it up!

Great thread!

I'm for parents who wants to implant their babies (when they're old enough to be on the safe side) and toddlers because early intervention is very important.

Otherwise, forget it if you want to leave it up to the child to decide for themselves when they're 18 because it'd be ridiculiously difficult because they'd have to start from scratch then.

I'm gonna get implanted at the age of 25 and I don't expect to learn how to hear spoken language and say words because that is having too high of expectations.

Umm...let me see here...I'll list these as I'm already a 'borg with the Freedom.

Pros
Be pretty much on equal terms with the hearing (an ancient goal)
Be able to hear and communicate with my children (simply precious to me)
Not having to be alert to hear what is said (a big plus!)
Hear and communicate out of sight and in dark (love this one)
No tinnitus (a nice one)
Use of phones...anykind (a very big plus)
Can listen all day and not be exhausted (very liberating)
Can hear music quite well (wonderful)
My speech is surperb now with CI
Listening to talk radio again (yea, yea baby!)

Cons
Battery life could be better (three days...a week would be better)
Sometimes I sweat too much and I have to take it off (a pain)
Be a little circumspect in sports (gotta watch the head!)
Have to wait for even better programming especially for music
Dynamic range is limited especially at higher end (I could hear my own whistling before with HA and now it is not so hot and it is tough not being sure if your whistle is right when signaling somebody)
Noise can be problematical at times

Deaf Images said:
If God chose you to be D/deaf....he knew you before you were born. He did talk to you and made plans for you....and yet someone screwed up His plan..... :ugh2:

Edit update...somebody deleted DI's post which you see above...so I took out my response...

Please ignore...

Thank you all for feedbacks.. I had learnes something about pros and cons .. I still want more of them...It is interesting!!!

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie

Back