Child Survives After She's Declared Brain Dead

Teekie

Reaction score
Doctors Thought Child Was Brain Dead

ALLENTOWN, Pa. --The parents of a little girl with cancer were told she was brain dead. But then the unbelievable happened.

Five-year-old Kelly Grossbaur was taken off life support equipment shortly after she was rushed to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown Tuesday.

Her loved ones said their final goodbyes but Kelly was not ready to hear them. She is is still hanging on.

Kelly is now at home in East Allen Township, a place that Kathy and John Grossbaur thought that their little girl had left for last time.

Kelly has been battling brain cancer for more than two years. She suffered several seizures Tuesday morning and was rushed to Lehigh Valley Hospital.

Doctors told the Grossbaurs they thought that her brain stem had ruptured.

"We had the tube removed and we waited for her to pass," said Kelly's father.

But Kelly opened her eyes, kissed her grandparents and parents and made it clear her life was not yet over.

"She whispered 'daddy,' she said paint. We asked if she wanted to paint. She said yes," said Kelly's father.

Doctors had no explanation. They said Kelly could go home.

"It's a gift. It's just a gift from god," said Kelly's dad.

Morphine and oxygen now keep her comfortable. She survived a previous coma and endured intense cancer treatments.

Her parents believe she did not want her fight to end in a hospital bed.

"I think my daughter is very strong, a little stubborn and decided she'll go on her own terms and her own time," said Kelly's mother.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/2752891/detail.html

wonder what kind of brain cancer. there are so many types of brain cancers/brain tumors-- this girl is "wow" amazing that she doesn't want give up her life just like my son.. if inside the brain it is incurable. if its outside or on the brain it can be done with surgery with very carefully... Like my son..

My son has medulloblastoma (brain tumor).. his is removed fully only size of golfball. And they already did Numbers of test on him after surgery done shows no left over cancer cells in his fluid, brain, etc.. but still wants him have radiations and chemo to make sure his cells are complete gone...

My sister was also misdiagnosis few years ago with pituarl tumor ( one of the inner brain thing) but she didnt have one...

Wendy

Awwww This is a real sweet and good story.. It makes my eyes watering. *sniff*

:tears:

Wow, What an amazing and sad story of this little girl....

She is one strong little girl who has alot of faith in GOD....

And wants to spend her last days with her family!...

Yes she is brave and strong little girl. Many of them would stay alive unless removed that tumor. :)

God blessed that little girl, shes deffy one miracle child! she's in our thoughts and prayers as we know her time may be short but she deffy has made it clear she wants to go on her own time and her own terms, thats enjoying life to its fullest!

Back