Boxee Box Now has Netflix WITH SUBTITLES

ncmacasl

Reaction score
The Boxee Box Media Player has just added a Netflix app and it has Netflix Subtitles enabled. This makes it only the 5th platfrom to have Netflix subtitles (other 4: PC & Mac Web Browsers and Wii & PS3 gaming systems).

Info on the Boxee Box equipment and all it can do is here (many captioning & subtitling options on a variety of media & streaming): Boxee - Watch Movies, TV Shows and clips from the Internet on your TV.

Info and screen shots of Netflix Subtitling is on their forum here: Happy Valentine -New Netflix Firmware 1.0.4.17443 - Page 15 - boxee :: forums

and if you missed any previous posts on Netflix subtitles, I keep a blog listing all Netflix titles with Subtitles (currently over 700 titles!): ncmacasl's blog: Netflix InstantWatch Subtitles

Umm, good news but what about Roku? I am leaning onto Roku but before I make the purchase. I need evidence that this box in fact support CC from Netflix as well?

Some out there say it does! some don't

Still waiting for xbox 360 to have subtitles for the netflix so I can sell my ugly 480p wii

Do you connect your Boxee with HDMI cables? Will the CCs transmit over HDMI cables? Also wondered if anyone watched MLB.com via Boxee, and do you get CCs on it? I was thinking of getting an MLB subscription, but not if CCs aren't available.

I want to buy a new flat-screen TV for my basement exercise room and don't want to spend a lot of money for the TV itself, since it won't be our main TV. But would be great to have some internet connectivity on it.

We get our TV over the air, not via cable, since I live in the Washington D.C. area and we get excellent OTA reception. However, we've been having a problem since we moved our old TV from the upstairs bedroom into the basement. We used to get CCs fine on nearly all channels. Now, we often get scrambled captions, even when the picture is fine. Is this an antenna problem, do you think? Would Boxee solve that problem, by bringing in programming via Hulu, Vudu or network internet sites? We have a fast internet connection.

Thanks for any technical help; I feel like I'm wandering in the wilderness sometimes trying to put everything together.

Bringing this to the top again. Will Boxee support captions? I'm confused because it mentions HDMI cables, and I thought CCs would not transmit over HDMI.

Can anyone explain what Boxee can and cannot do?

Thanks. Doing a search for "subtitles," looks like there are a lot of problems with the thing.

The Boxee Box Media Player has just added a Netflix app and it has Netflix Subtitles enabled. This makes it only the 5th platfrom to have Netflix subtitles (other 4: PC & Mac Web Browsers and Wii & PS3 gaming systems).

Info on the Boxee Box equipment and all it can do is here (many captioning & subtitling options on a variety of media & streaming): Boxee - Watch Movies, TV Shows and clips from the Internet on your TV.

Info and screen shots of Netflix Subtitling is on their forum here: Happy Valentine -New Netflix Firmware 1.0.4.17443 - Page 15 - boxee :: forums

and if you missed any previous posts on Netflix subtitles, I keep a blog listing all Netflix titles with Subtitles (currently over 700 titles!): ncmacasl's blog: Netflix InstantWatch Subtitles

Would Boxee solve that problem, by bringing in programming via Hulu, Vudu or network internet sites? We have a fast internet connection.

This is an older one I just got a boxee and was searching.
1 the older style cc does not transmit over hdmi this was a mistake on original standards. Check hdmi info industry page.
2 hdmi will transmit whatever is in original signal. So if you are using bell or rogers box the option is there on the setup to turn cc on. That way the captions are overlayed on the video and are not being generated by the tv.
3 In 2014 I think it is dvd players will be required to transmit overlay video the same as bell and rogers.

Summary: Hdmi video source devices need to decode cc and overlay it on the video sent over hdmi cable.

Back