If a cashier gave you too much change would you be honest?

Honest or not?

• I'd go back and give the money back

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • I'd keep the money, their mistake isn't my problem

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Depends on which grocery!

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

moveright

Reaction score
You're at the grocery. The cashier goes to give you a $20 bill back as part of your change but you later realize that there were 2 bills stuck together so you got an extra $20. What would YOU do?

Give it back! Honesty is a reflection on us. If we upheld ourself to a standard and showed honesty in our dealings, it also shows good moral character. That is important when you go for a job.

Besides, i used to work as a cashier. I was always careful and was never shorted. But, if we were, guess who got the write ups? Some places even take it out of their paychecks.

Give it back. I don't want the cashier to have a problem.

I've had it happen to me a couple of times, and I've always given the money back. It is totally unethical to take advantage of someone else's mistake.

Give it back even though I will be tempted to keep it. :giggle:

Yes, it's happened to me several times.

*Looking up at Bear's* Conversely, I have had to correct cashier's shortchanging as well.....many times!

I'll give it back, I don't think it's right to take what you aren't supposed to be getting back. ;)

Depends on the amount, like $9 or less I'll give them back but for more than $10 I'll keep it.

I always give the money back.

Once I found 20 bucks on the floor and I gave it to the cashier. I should keep it cuz someone lost 20 bucks on the floor and no one claim it so store keep it. Grrr.

Once I found 20 bucks inside atm machine and bank was closed so I do not know what to do with it so I keep it.

As for the store, umm sometime I let them know if they gave me too much changes back and/ I let them know when they gave me less changes than I should get.

Umm let me think about it...

Just kidding, :giggle: honestly I'll give it back.

Give the money back. I don't want a cashier get fired. If someone doesn't care, it means stealing!

You're at the grocery. The cashier goes to give you a $20 bill back as part of your change but you later realize that there were 2 bills stuck together so you got an extra $20. What would YOU do?

I've called the cashier on it on the spot and it is corrected. Besides, many cashiers now have a camera above them that would show too much change given.

Give it back to the cashier and tell him/her that he/she made a mistake.

Once time the cashier stole my money by not giving my change back like less amount after I gave her $20.00 I was so furious. I made a complained and the front desk took her tray and they count it. It was over the amount and then gave back my change. I left the store and stared at the lady to let her know that she was wrong for not being honest. Later I found out she doenst work there anymore cuz of her dishonest. TSK TSK!!

I don't ever count my change, because I don't want to hurt cashier feeling.
I don't want her or him to think I don't trust them.

I don't ever count my change, because I don't want to hurt cashier feeling.
I don't want her or him to think I don't trust them.

So if the cashier gave you $20.00 too much back, you're hurting her feelings? lol....

So if the cashier gave you $20.00 too much back, you're hurting her feelings? lol....

oh I didn't read the first post. Yeah of course if I notice it, I'll give back.

But most of the time, cashier gives me change, and I put in my purse and not notice anything.

Back