Dog crawls home with broken legs after tornado

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Dog crawls home with broken legs after tornado

A dog swept away by a tornado in the US was found waiting at home almost three weeks later after crawling home with two broken legs.

The terrier mix, named Mason, was hiding in a garage in North Smithfield, Alabama, when the April 27 twister struck, Fox News WBRC reports.

After the stormed passed, Mason’s owners could not find him and assumed he did not survive the tornado that killed over 300 people.

When the owners returned to their destroyed home two-and-a-half weeks later, they found Mason waiting on the front porch.

Dr Barbara Benhart, from the Birmingham Jefferson County Animal Control, said Mason's two broken front legs meant he would have had to crawl home.

Mason's owner Phil Doster is unable to care for his pet while he rebuilds his life after the devastating storm, but said he was "honoured" to be part of Mason's recovery.

"For an animal just to show up on someone's porch after this time was pretty remarkable, especially with the condition he's in," Mr Doxter told Fox.

"For an animal to go through what he's gone through and not to be ugly, to be happy for any companionship is remarkable."

Mason is currently at the Vulcan Park Animal Clinic where veterinary doctors plan to use plates and pins to realign his bones.

Last month, residents of Alabama, Mississippi and four other southern states were hit by scores of powerful tornadoes in the most deadly storms to hit the region in 37 years.

Wow!

Oh my gosh. Bless that little dog's heart. It's a pity the owner can't take care of him any longer. It would be lovely to find a foster home, maybe, who can step up and care for the dog until the original owner is back on his feet again.

Dogs are just amazing. Imagine what he went through with two broken legs, to drag himself back home again from who knows where.

That one brought a tears to my eyes! Amazing, the love, compassion and loyalty animals have.

It makes me sad that the owner wasn't as loyal as the dog. :(

It makes me sad that the owner wasn't as loyal as the dog. :(

The owner lost their home and is unable to take care of the dog at this time. You want the owner take in the dog unable to afford to take it to the vet and care for it??

The owner did the right thing by giving it up to have someone else to care for it.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Really sad that owner cant take care of the dog but amazing that survived the storm.

Mason's owner Phil Doster is unable to care for his pet while he rebuilds his life after the devastating storm, but said he was "honoured" to be part of Mason's recovery.

He will still be a part of Mason's recovery.

I feel bott. I can't give up my own children as well as fur children. I would let the high bill for my fur kids and worry about $$ later. I would ask my relatives to stay with my children and fur children. House can replace if i lose everything but animals and children are precious to me.

The owner lost their home and is unable to take care of the dog at this time. You want the owner take in the dog unable to afford to take it to the vet and care for it??

The owner did the right thing by giving it up to have someone else to care for it.

Probably yes. I would sacrifice for myself to keep my dogs and care for them.

Far too many good pets get euthanized at shelters.

Probably yes. I would sacrifice for myself to keep my dogs and care for them.

Far too many good pets get euthanized at shelters.

To me that is selfish. The animal would suffer with two broken legs. Knowing that his master is unable to care for it. That would be Neglect.

If one truely love their animal they would make sure that the animal gets proper care.

As heartbreaking it is to give up the furkids. You have to think what is best for that animal.

I highlyt doubt they will put this dog down. Many will want to adopt it.

By "taking part in his care," I assumed the owner was paying the vet bill. But with his home destroyed, who knows where he is living and what his circumstances are. At least he took the dog to the vet and agreed to the complicated surgery.

I can't fault him; sounds to me like he's doing the best he can.

Mason's owners asked the shelter to look after him while they try and put their own lives back together.
And with the help of donations and the generosity of a nearby veterinary clinic Mason underwent an operation to fix plates into his two front legs last week.

He is now doing well and will go home to his family in six weeks time, a spokesman from the animal shelter said.

It's a lot better than the first story made it sound. They are caring owners who didn't abandon him. He is spending six weeks in the hospital and then going home.

Mason the miracle dog: Canine crawls home on TWO broken legs three weeks after being blown away in deadly Alabama tornado | Mail Online

Where's the "love" button? I wanna say more than "like!"

Thanks so much for posting that; it does sound a much happier situation than the first article described.

Oh my gosh. Bless that little dog's heart. It's a pity the owner can't take care of him any longer. It would be lovely to find a foster home, maybe, who can step up and care for the dog until the original owner is back on his feet again.

Dogs are just amazing. Imagine what he went through with two broken legs, to drag himself back home again from who knows where.

Cats are amazing too! I rescue a homeless cat . I was feeding the cat and he did not show up for a few days and I was worried something awful happen to the poor cat. He finally came back to my home and I found out the cat been attacked by a coyote or raccoon! The cat back bones where showing and he still was able to made it back to my home for me to help him!
I think all animals are amazing! I hope the owner will be able to bring their dog home once they did a new place to live.

Back