Honda Civic: "CHECK ENGINE" light on

deafsmogtech

Reaction score
My son came to me last night, says my car have problem with Check Engine light on along with "'Maint" and "SRS" lights. I questioned him about driverability problem and what fuel you use? He replied me, I use 91 fuel and feel the engine runs rough. I ask him did you tight a gas cap? He says yes I tight it like feel one click. I don't have my scan tool with me at home right now. I maybe go to my work to grab my scan tool later......

I was told to 3 click my gas cap (2009 Sentra).
My daughter had the light come on recently & knew to check the gas cap & thought it was on tight enough. She took it to her mechanic & he determined that it was the gas cap. He actually replaced the gas cap @ no charge (he's her ex-bf's father).

I'm not going to get my scan tool until tomorrow cuz he need his car for work. I asked him, did you see "Check Engine" light flashing? He replied nope. I told him it's ok to drive.. First time I see C/E light on since purchased this car about eight years ago, also had "Air Bag" light on before. His car is a 2003 Civc EX couple. About 95k miles on it. I feel this car have EVAP code but can't confirm it without a scan tool.

I'm not going to get my scan tool until tomorrow cuz he need his car for work. I asked him, did you see "Check Engine" light flashing? He replied nope. I told him it's ok to drive.. First time I see C/E light on since purchased this car about eight years ago, also had "Air Bag" light on before. His car is a 2003 Civc EX couple. About 95k miles on it. I feel this car have EVAP code but can't confirm it without a scan tool.

8 years is pretty good and why you hate asian car? :giggle:

My young brother own Red Civc EX couple too. I believe year is 2003.

My Car has been Check Engine light went off. It was Throttle Position Sensor has been wore out and replace new part about $417 from dealer part dept.

89-91T-TPS-01.jpg

I was told to 3 click my gas cap (2009 Sentra).
My daughter had the light come on recently & knew to check the gas cap & thought it was on tight enough. She took it to her mechanic & he determined that it was the gas cap. He actually replaced the gas cap @ no charge (he's her ex-bf's father).

That's what I feel the gas cap or faulty EVAP canister is problem. Gas cap is under EVAP system. I can't wait to pull trouble codes maybe EVAP code(s) such as P0440 or P0455 until tomorrow. One bother me is he says rough engine running like I say what's up with rough running? I did adjust the valves and changed new spark plugs last fall or he use low grade fuel or never tell me that he use cheap gas. :dunno:

My son says the C/E light came on while cruising. I will bring my scan tool Autel Autolink AL510 tomorrow after work. I can't wait :mad2:

I am American guy and support American made vehicle. That is one reason why I have Ford F-250. Smaller cars, many of them actually made by foreign countries even though it was branded as American.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

diehardbiker said:
I am American guy and support American made vehicle. That is one reason why I have Ford F-250. Smaller cars, many of them actually made by foreign countries even though it was branded as American.

No American branded cars are 100% made in America. Parts can be made in China or other countries. If it was 100% made in america, prices would be much more expensive.

No American branded cars are 100% made in America. Parts can be made in China or other countries. If it was 100% made in america, prices would be much more expensive.

Yes, I saw "Made in China" label on an engine management wiring harness in a 2005 Honda Civic when I transfer the engine parts to an used engine due to cracked engine block about 2 years ago. This Civic is built in America according to VIN.

Read again. Why do you think I choose F-250? This is because it is one of few vehicles that was mostly made in America, I know about cars and thus why I am not too keen about cars. Truck is in my blood.

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/content/db/b-db-autos.shtml

My son says the C/E light came on while cruising. I will bring my scan tool Autel Autolink AL510 tomorrow after work. I can't wait :mad2:

Pocket scan tools are prefect gift for the vehicle owners. Pocket scan tool is easy to store in a glove box. Cute tiny pocket scan tool... I wish I buy it for my wife, I can teach her how to scanning her car.

Why not gift for your son too?

First, Bluetooth for Android only and WIFI for iPhone only. So what kind of mobile your son and wife have?

I gifted scan tool to my father last Christmas.
OBD II / EOBD Code Scanner - Save Big on this Code Scanner It was on sale for $45.

So family won't ask me anymore. They alway ask me to check their BMW's code again and again.

I took my 2 scan tools from my tool box today, heading home. After supper time, I plug Autel AL510 into OBDII jack, found only one trouble code. It is P1456 EVAP System Leak Detected (Fuel Tank System). Freeze Frame in Autel scan's screen is not really accurate snapshot information especially in engine coolant temperature and vehicle speed as I demonstrate my son to reading a freeze frame. I try on my another old SnapOn scan tool to connect it, got same code P1456 and real snapshot, told my son that I think it is a gas cap. He open a gas lid, he removed a cap, examine it then show me a cracked rubber O ring in a gas cap. I told him this car is ok to drive until I get a new gas cap to replace it and clear code...

Read again. Why do you think I choose F-250? This is because it is one of few vehicles that was mostly made in America, I know about cars and thus why I am not too keen about cars. Truck is in my blood.

How Americans Can Buy American

Even the pistons, camshafts, connecting rods, etc? What parts of the truck is made in other countries? That's a mystery. Not many people want to buy a brand new $40,000 truck. Blame it on unionized jobs.

Back